How do I replace a 2003 Pontiac Vibe Headlight Assembly?

Technical info on the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix including do-it-yourself info
gsuvibe

How do I replace a 2003 Pontiac Vibe Headlight Assembly?

Post by gsuvibe »

I recently got hit by a stupid little high school girl driving a giant truck her daddy shouldn't have even though about buying her. Long story short though, my driver side headlight was damaged beyond repair. I picked up a headlight assembly at a salvage depot and am trying to find instructions to remove the old one and put the new one in. Every how-to forum I've found so far has only been on how to replace the bulbs. I would greatly appreciate the assistance.
keithvibe

Re: How do I replace a 2003 Pontiac Vibe Headlight Assembly? (gsuvibe)

Post by keithvibe »

First you have to remove the bumper once you have the bumper off you can remove the top two bolts then there is one last bolt that is on the side of the headlight.To remove the bumper you need to remove 11 retainers/bolts One in each wheel wellthree just under the hood of the car Two just under the bumper in the center.two more on the plastic splash shield infront of each tire.Once you have those off you can slowly remove the bumper. Don't forget to disconnect the fog lights though too.
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
lovemyraffe

Post by lovemyraffe »

Quote, originally posted by keithvibe »First you have to remove the bumper once you have the bumper off you can remove the top two bolts then there is one last bolt that is on the side of the headlight.To remove the bumper you need to remove 11 retainers/bolts One in each wheel wellthree just under the hood of the car Two just under the bumper in the center.two more on the plastic splash shield infront of each tire.Once you have those off you can slowly remove the bumper. Don't forget to disconnect the fog lights though too.Sounds like fun!
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
keithvibe

Re: (lovemyraffe)

Post by keithvibe »

oppsy.... 9.. not 11 lol
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
lovemyraffe

Re: (keithvibe)

Post by lovemyraffe »

Quote, originally posted by keithvibe »oppsy.... 9.. not 11 lolThere goes all the fun, 9 isn't fun but 11 is
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

And here I always thought it was hard to take the bumper off...silly me.
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
keithvibe

Post by keithvibe »

Well then I'll stick to 11. LOLLets say between 9 and 11 bolts/retainers LOLI keep counting them in my head and coming up with different numbers LOLone on each fender wellthree just under the hoodtwo under the front bumper front and centerThen two more on each splash shield infront of each tire... I do it so many times that i don't even count anymore LOLbut i'm 99% sure it's 11 at this time... Note to self.... don't drink then count... it impairs your counting ability LOL
gsuvibe

Post by gsuvibe »

Well...funny enough, I was actually able to replace the light without removing the bumper haha. The old assembly was so cracked and disfigured from the accident, I actually made it easier on myself and just broke it out with a crowbar haha. Also, because my fender was bend out a little bit from the accident...I was able to slide the light in without having to remove the bumper
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

The only problem you may have is it may bounce a little since you don't have the stability of it being bolted in on the side.
April 2010 Co-MOTM * Custom LED Gauge Cluster swap * LED dome, HVAC, and shifter * Retrofit projector w/ blue halo * Kenwood KDC-HD942U * Herculined cargo area * Debadged *Wolfman's Garage
Digger

Post by Digger »

This little girl would not be your little girl? Why not have her insurance fix your car right?
2005 AWD What's your story?It's a wonderful thingMomma always said "Help that is not helpful, is no help at all"
lovemyraffe

Re: How do I replace a 2003 Pontiac Vibe Headlight Assembly? (Digger)

Post by lovemyraffe »

Quote, originally posted by Digger »This little girl would not be your little girl? Why not have her insurance fix your car right? I'm going out on a limb here, but I don't think the girl who hit his car is his daughter. If she was, that would mean that he was 7 or 8 when she was born...
acer

Post by acer »

first post here!!!just found this site great site !!was wondering if when i do take the bumper off do i have to worry about air bag sensors any input would be great thanks
keithvibe

Re: How do I replace a 2003 Pontiac Vibe Headlight Assembly? (acer)

Post by keithvibe »

Quote, originally posted by acer »first post here!!!just found this site great site !!was wondering if when i do take the bumper off do i have to worry about air bag sensors any input would be great thanksnope... I've had mine off at least 12 times... never had an issue