the most overrated band ever?

General discussions not related to the Vibe, Matrix, or any other vehicle. (follow posting rules)
Silversn95

Post by Silversn95 »

Nobody has mentioned this one yet but I can't stand them, The Who. They were big before my time but they still seem to get their music played even today.For for some of the other posts:+ 1 for the Beatles, Rolling Stones, U2
2009 Pontiac Vibe - 1.8L 5-speed 1SB Carbon Gray Metallic with 20% tint
bodhi_tree777

Re: (Silversn95)

Post by bodhi_tree777 »

Another sacred cow...
james / bodhi tree studio / tattoos & illustration / http://www.bodhitreestudio.comebay store : vintage clothing & toys---03 Satellite Vibe GT // 04 Neptune base // 1986 VW Golf // 1990 VW Golf GL---
drunkenmaxx

Post by drunkenmaxx »

bottom line, KISS sucks. i love classic rock, but not for the gimmick, they would be unknown.
chew aura pizza cheat main"the world in my hands, there's noone left to hear you scream, noone's there for you"
Kamikaze

Re: (drunkenmaxx)

Post by Kamikaze »

At least around here I don't hear too much Metallica, I think pretty much after And Justice For All it was down hill... I can listen to the music, but when I hear the newer stuff all I can think of little whiny Lars and the whole napster thing... he's such a baby. For his time a talented drummer, but there are so many drummers now WAY better...Nirvana and Kiss are up there for me...(as being overrated)
August 2009 VOTM Click HERE for my Garage
ColonelPanic

Re: (Kamikaze)

Post by ColonelPanic »

Quote, originally posted by Kamikaze »all I can think of little whiny Lars and the whole napster thing... he's such a baby. NAPSTER..... BAAAADD! (anybody remember those cartoons?) (removed)!Metallica is definitely overrated. Never saw anything of substance in KISS either that would warrant their fame.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
silvrhawk7

Re: (ColonelPanic)

Post by silvrhawk7 »

Quote, originally posted by ColonelPanic »NAPSTER..... BAAAADD! (anybody remember those cartoons?) (removed)!Metallica is definitely overrated. Never saw anything of substance in KISS either that would warrant their fame.LOL Those were awesome, there were other cartoons too, are those even in existence anymore??
In Memory, taken too early in a rear end collision
Sunrise: June 2006, Sunset: Jan 2015 :cry:
Miles 129,000
2006 Silver Mono, Base 4-Speed auto.
In Memory of Pontiac Motor Division 1926-2010
In Memory of the Pontiac Vibe 2002-2009
NUBlackshirts

Re: (Vibe_dude)

Post by NUBlackshirts »

Quote, originally posted by Vibe_dude »As far as under rated,has to be Helix......these guys are still awesome even after 30 years. Agree with that 100%. I always thought Y&T were in the same boat.
'04 Frosty GT <---Click here!Tein S-Tech springs; Tokico HP struts;Progress rear sway bar; DC Sports strut tower bar;Scion TC wheels; K&N Typhoon intake;GG Racing ground wires; JAW voltage stabilizer;FilterMAG SS-250; Militec-1; Sirius Satellite Radio
NUBlackshirts

Re: the most overrated band ever? (Sublimewind)

Post by NUBlackshirts »

Quote, originally posted by Sublimewind »Good thing the thread isn't about the worst bands ever, JUST the most overrated.. lol.. Yeah, but these no talent hacks got a LOT of radio time back in the day. I was just explaining WHY they were OVERRATED.
'04 Frosty GT <---Click here!Tein S-Tech springs; Tokico HP struts;Progress rear sway bar; DC Sports strut tower bar;Scion TC wheels; K&N Typhoon intake;GG Racing ground wires; JAW voltage stabilizer;FilterMAG SS-250; Militec-1; Sirius Satellite Radio
Sublimewind

Re: the most overrated band ever? (NUBlackshirts)

Post by Sublimewind »

Quote, originally posted by NUBlackshirts »Yeah, but these no talent hacks got a LOT of radio time back in the day. I was just explaining WHY they were OVERRATED.always have, always will, and it's progressively getting worse... Metallica WAS the ish... Ride the lightning, pure genius.. of metal... RIP Cliff B, you ARE missed..
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

There is a new biography for Cliff Burton either out now or soon to be released aptly named "To Live is to Die" As soon as I see some extra green, I'm definitely nabbing that!
April 2010 Co-MOTM * Custom LED Gauge Cluster swap * LED dome, HVAC, and shifter * Retrofit projector w/ blue halo * Kenwood KDC-HD942U * Herculined cargo area * Debadged *Wolfman's Garage
NUBlackshirts

Re: the most overrated band ever? (Sublimewind)

Post by NUBlackshirts »

Quote, originally posted by Sublimewind »always have, always will, and it's progressively getting worse... Metallica WAS the ish... Ride the lightning, pure genius.. of metal... RIP Cliff B, you ARE missed.. With ya on that, brother. I saw them open for Ozzy back when they were promoting Master of Puppets. Cliff broke into Anesthesia and just kicked a$$! You wonder how Metallica would be if he was still alive?
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

I don't think they would have ever went through the whole Load/Reload sell-out phase. They may have grown and explored musically, but I don't think it would have been the crap that they released for that period.
April 2010 Co-MOTM * Custom LED Gauge Cluster swap * LED dome, HVAC, and shifter * Retrofit projector w/ blue halo * Kenwood KDC-HD942U * Herculined cargo area * Debadged *Wolfman's Garage
Caretaker

Re: (Wolfman213)

Post by Caretaker »

I am the ultimate 80's rock fan. I am a big Def Leppard fan. My neighbor, who is a big fan also, said that I would absolutely love Metallica and should give it a try. I tried it: it was musical crap. Redundant notes that had no clever lines or rhythm. I join the "what on earth are you talking about club" when it comes to Metallica. My vacuum cleaner makes better music. I think the Who was a good choice for most overrated. Now we're using our noodle. We need to get away from garage bands and pick something that will enrage the masses. I still stick with my choice of the Beatles. While I even llike some of their songs, to say that they are the best ever puts them exactly in the spot where it is easy for me to say that they were not the most groundbreaking group of all time because there were other Liverpool and English groups performing that style of music at that time. They also suffer from the "where are they now syndrome." With half the group buried 6 feet under and the Stones still out there selling out stadiums some 40 years later, I contend that the Beatles ARE the most overrated band of all time.
Sublimewind

Re: the most overrated band ever? (NUBlackshirts)

Post by Sublimewind »

Quote, originally posted by NUBlackshirts »With ya on that, brother. I saw them open for Ozzy back when they were promoting Master of Puppets. Cliff broke into Anesthesia and just kicked a$$! You wonder how Metallica would be if he was still alive?I always wonder what metallica would have been if Les Claypool became the bass player... I think is was Les, Kirk and one of the others, all went to school together.. Well, Les tried out, but was to "different" for their "metal" band, and Cliff got the job.... This was when Dave Mustain was still part of the band or still forming... lol... could you imagine a speed metal "My name is mud"...
Sublimewind

Re: (Caretaker)

Post by Sublimewind »

Quote, originally posted by Caretaker »I am the ultimate 80's rock fan. I am a big Def Leppard fan. My neighbor, who is a big fan also, said that I would absolutely love Metallica and should give it a try. I tried it: it was musical crap. Redundant notes that had no clever lines or rhythm. I join the "what on earth are you talking about club" when it comes to Metallica. My vacuum cleaner makes better music. I think the Who was a good choice for most overrated. Now we're using our noodle. We need to get away from garage bands and pick something that will enrage the masses. I still stick with my choice of the Beatles. While I even llike some of their songs, to say that they are the best ever puts them exactly in the spot where it is easy for me to say that they were not the most groundbreaking group of all time because there were other Liverpool and English groups performing that style of music at that time. They also suffer from the "where are they now syndrome." With half the group buried 6 feet under and the Stones still out there selling out stadiums some 40 years later, I contend that the Beatles ARE the most overrated band of all time. No clever lines or rhythm... are you crazy... I don't wanna start a fight, but the minute you can play through the early albums, come back and talk... from the changes to the galloping rhythmic progressions... well, they altered the history of metal today... I don't care for anything bast the black album, and well, the black album was kinda soft... but the stuff before it is some of the music that all other metal is judged upon... It's pretty simple, you aren't a metal head... you wouldn't understand... fair enough... you are welcome to your opinion... I wouldn't/don't fault you for it.. BTW, I got to see Def Leppard 2yrs ago at are (one time) local rock fest... It rocked... and the drummer still only has one arm (a Bloodhound Gang reference, and the truth..lol)
ned23

Re: (Sublimewind)

Post by ned23 »

Quote, originally posted by Sublimewind » No clever lines or rhythm... are you crazy... I don't wanna start a fight, but the minute you can play through the early albums, come back and talk... from the changes to the galloping rhythmic progressions... well, they altered the history of metal today... I don't care for anything bast the black album, and well, the black album was kinda soft... but the stuff before it is some of the music that all other metal is judged upon... It's pretty simple, you aren't a metal head... you wouldn't understand... fair enough... you are welcome to your opinion... I wouldn't/don't fault you for it.. BTW, I got to see Def Leppard 2yrs ago at are (one time) local rock fest... It rocked... and the drummer still only has one arm (a Bloodhound Gang reference, and the truth..lol)Metallica took themselves way to seriously to accept Les. That's the difference between Metallica and Les.
bodhi_tree777

Re: (ned23)

Post by bodhi_tree777 »

Quote, originally posted by ned23 »Metallica took themselves way to seriously to accept Les. That's the difference between Metallica and Les. among many others ..primus (or almost anything that Les Claypool does) will always outflank whatever vanilla flavored "metal" that Metallica is pumping out these days.
james / bodhi tree studio / tattoos & illustration / http://www.bodhitreestudio.comebay store : vintage clothing & toys---03 Satellite Vibe GT // 04 Neptune base // 1986 VW Golf // 1990 VW Golf GL---
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

it seems sublime knows some metalica history. So can you tell me where Ron McGovney falls into all of this?bodhi: are you referring to Death Magnetic? and if you are, do you not like it bc it's not in drop D or drop B, or just simply don't like it?
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

I'm not here to start arguments... This thread is now taking the turn, that most do, like it... Much like any band that has made it through the years, some get it, some don't, but the common thread is that they change and not always for the better.. I have to ask though, barring the above example by Caretaker (which you are very welcome to not like Metallica, it's not your thing), are these bands overrated or are we just sick of hearing them?
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

I hope you didn't ake my last comment as an arguement starter. It was simply a question to see why he didn't care for it. I personally like Death Magnetic bc it is hitting more of their roots. Granted, it's not as heavy and fast. I just wanted to see if he preffered mor of the different tunings that the standard that the album is recorded in.
bodhi_tree777

Post by bodhi_tree777 »

Quote, originally posted by Wolfman213 »it seems sublime knows some metalica history. So can you tell me where Ron McGovney falls into all of this?bodhi: are you referring to Death Magnetic? and if you are, do you not like it bc it's not in drop D or drop B, or just simply don't like it?honestly, I haven't heard it so I guess my last statement is a little flawed maybe. But literally everything else I've heard from them in about 10 years (or longer?) sounds like bleccchh. I actually have a raving mad metallica fan friend, and he's made the same argument, so maybe I should give it a shot
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

I'd recommend it; if nothing else at least borrow it from your buddy. It's definitely NOT like the last 4. It's a lot like the first 4, but what they lack in angst, they make up in musical maturity. The riffage is freaking awesome!! Broken, Beat & Scarred has some killer riffage and even Unforgiven III with the "not so traditional" intro.
goochsmooch

Re: (Caretaker)

Post by goochsmooch »

Quote, originally posted by Caretaker » I still stick with my choice of the Beatles. While I even llike some of their songs, to say that they are the best ever puts them exactly in the spot where it is easy for me to say that they were not the most groundbreaking group of all time because there were other Liverpool and English groups performing that style of music at that time. They also suffer from the "where are they now syndrome." With half the group buried 6 feet under and the Stones still out there selling out stadiums some 40 years later, I contend that the Beatles ARE the most overrated band of all time.Many groups may have been putting out the same sound as the Beatles, but the Beatles broke from the pack and stood out as the best of the British invasion. And to slag them for being dead, well that just makes no sense - do we become overrated when we die? I'm not making the connection there. Although, I completely agree that with the majority of society touting them as the Greatest Band Ever, it's damn tempting to knock them down a peg or two.The Beatles aren't my favourite band ever, but if the world HAD to come to some consensus on the greatest band ever, I can promise you the Beatles would top the list. Their music covers the gamut of human emotion and has the power to influence people into laughter, tears, anger, inspiration... you name it. For me, too much modern music is based on hate, anger and screaming. If you don't resent society, you may as well turn off the modern rock stations. Another submission for Most Overrated: The Eagles... their stuff's not bad, but the fuss that got made when they reunited (Hell Freezes Over) was WAY over the top. And as solo artists, I don't believe any of them contributed anything significant. Hotel California just reminds me of junior highschool dances that wouldn't end fast enough so the real party could start and we could play some 90's grunge
2009 1.8L Vibe - Manual
NUBlackshirts

Post by NUBlackshirts »

Quote, originally posted by Wolfman213 »it seems sublime knows some metalica history. So can you tell me where Ron McGovney falls into all of this?Just helping out those who don't know... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_McGovney
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

Quote, originally posted by Wolfman213 »I hope you didn't ake my last comment as an arguement starter. It was simply a question to see why he didn't care for it. I personally like Death Magnetic bc it is hitting more of their roots. Granted, it's not as heavy and fast. I just wanted to see if he preffered mor of the different tunings that the standard that the album is recorded in.No, not at all man, not at all...
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

lol that's the cheaters method lol. I was just impressed with Sublime's knowledge of old school Metallica and some of their odd facts of their history. Not too many people know of Les Claypool's trying out for Metallica though.
bodhi_tree777

Post by bodhi_tree777 »

Quote, originally posted by Wolfman213 »lol that's the cheaters method lol. I was just impressed with Sublime's knowledge of old school Metallica and some of their odd facts of their history. Not too many people know of Les Claypool's trying out for Metallica though.not many people know that Primus was the "other band" in the battle of the bands in one of the Bill & Ted movies.God, I love useless trivia. The internet was made for me
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

Quote, originally posted by Wolfman213 »lol that's the cheaters method lol. I was just impressed with Sublime's knowledge of old school Metallica and some of their odd facts of their history. Not too many people know of Les Claypool's trying out for Metallica though.Thanks, i'm far from an expert, but i've been a metal fan since I figured out what it was... I AM a fan of both Metallica AND Primus, so you learn things over the years... Quote, originally posted by bodhi_tree777 »not many people know that Primus was the "other band" in the battle of the bands in one of the Bill & Ted movies.God, I love useless trivia. The internet was made for me Bill & Ted... I'm gonna have'ta re-watch them and see, it's only been what? 15yrs.. lol..
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

Someone mentioned RHCP too... Which I would have to disagree on... While the newer stuff is pretty tame, they really did the whole "white-boy funk" to a T with Freaky Styley, Uplift MOFO Party plan, Mothers Milk... ect.. Strange and goofy, yes, but they really made a niche for themselves.. And if anyone has ever seen the obscure B-movie Suburbia, Flea played one of the main characters.. (yeah, we know he's been in a lot of films now, that was his first IIRC) he then went on to play in one of my favorite skate movies ever Thrashin'... lol..
bodhi_tree777

Post by bodhi_tree777 »

Quote, originally posted by Sublimewind »And if anyone has ever seen the obscure B-movie Suburbia, Flea played one of the main characters.. (yeah, we know he's been in a lot of films now, that was his first IIRC) he then went on to play in one of my favorite skate movies ever Thrashin'... lol.. you are correct, sir. A teenage Flea, if I'm not mistaken. He looked really young, anyway. Good band, btw, I'm not sure they qualify for this thread
Sublimewind

Re: (bodhi_tree777)

Post by Sublimewind »

Quote, originally posted by bodhi_tree777 »you are correct, sir. A teenage Flea, if I'm not mistaken. He looked really young, anyway. Good band, btw, I'm not sure they qualify for this thread To some they qualify, i'm sure... But with songs like Knock me Down, Fight Like a Brave, Catholic School Girls (maybe not the most wholesome example) Under the Bridge (the more know of the more obscure times) Appachy Rose Peacock, Sexy Mexican Maid (again, not the most wholesome..lol) True Men Don't Kill Coyotes.. I find it hard to believe, but again, I wouldn't fault someone for NOT liking them... we like what we like..
sox

Post by sox »

This thread is so full of ignorance. We have peeps that are saying the Beatles and the Who are the most overated yet they werent even in diapers or a gleam in daddys eye when they hit the scene. I went through puberty with them and the excitement of the Beatles back in the day you little boys will never know. They changed the world.
joatmon

Re: (sox)

Post by joatmon »

Quote, originally posted by sox »This thread is so full of ignorance. We have peeps that are saying the Beatles and the Who are the most overated yet they werent even in diapers or a gleam in daddys eye when they hit the scene. I went through puberty with them and the excitement of the Beatles back in the day you little boys will never know. They changed the world.What can you say to someone who thnks the Beatles were overrated? I wore the grooves out on my white album. Don't listen to them much anymore. Zeppelin and Pink Floyd? Awesome, still get me moving. Somebody out there probably thinks Jimi Hendrix was overrrated. I guess it's a generational thing. I never really cared for Mettalipop, they were ok, but not worth spending money on. Quote, originally posted by K-NINE »The Greatful Dead. Big yes. The band was ok, but people went nuts over it. A cult. I think the cult was more important than the band or the music.
Silversn95

Post by Silversn95 »

Quote, originally posted by sox »This thread is so full of ignorance. We have peeps that are saying the Beatles and the Who are the most overated yet they werent even in diapers or a gleam in daddys eye when they hit the scene. I went through puberty with them and the excitement of the Beatles back in the day you little boys will never know. They changed the world.hahahaha,,, that doesn't make anyone's comment ignorant, that just makes you old!! I mentioned The Who because quit frankly, there isn't anything special about their music (of course that is just my opinion). Just because a band was out making noise before I was born or able to listen to it when it was new doesn't mean I can't appreciate good music. I like Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin, particularily Zeppelin. Just not the majority of the noise that came out of The Who.
2009 Pontiac Vibe - 1.8L 5-speed 1SB Carbon Gray Metallic with 20% tint
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

I could argue the same point about the Beatles as I did RHCP.. we could all argue our own points... lol.. The Beatles did things in there time period that was simply astounding by today's standards.. There isn't a single band, that could match The Beatles "mania" the greats where great, but the craps where craps too... I mean really, the only person that has stirred the pot close to the Beatles is MJ.... amazing, but true if you think about it.... if you want to talk about the general "stir" they had on history.... Pop Icons.... BUT, we all love/hate different things, obvious watching this thread... The common thread, though, is that we can agree to disagree and not make it "personal"...lol.. (right?)
sox

Re: (Silversn95)

Post by sox »

Quote, originally posted by Silversn95 »hahahaha,,, that doesn't make anyone's comment ignorant, that just makes you old!! I mentioned The Who because quit frankly, there isn't anything special about their music (of course that is just my opinion). Just because a band was out making noise before I was born or able to listen to it when it was new doesn't mean I can't appreciate good music. I like Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin, particularily Zeppelin. Just not the majority of the noise that came out of The Who.Listen little boy. Do you understand what the word "ignorance" means? It doesnt mean you are stupid, just ill informed. This thread is about the most overated bands and you replied to it that you hated the WHO. So you are saying they are the most overated. If you lived through the era of the WHO and then called them the most overated, that would be fine. But to make a post saying the WHO are the most overated when you have no clue is IGNORANCE....get it now sonny boy?
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Quote, originally posted by sox »Listen little boy. Do you understand what the word "ignorance" means? It doesnt mean you are stupid, just ill informed. This thread is about the most overated bands and you replied to it that you hated the WHO. So you are saying they are the most overated. If you lived through the era of the WHO and then called them the most overated, that would be fine. But to make a post saying the WHO are the most overated when you have no clue is IGNORANCE....get it now sonny boy?Sir, You seem to have mistaken this forum for another. You will find that contrary to the norm on the internet, there is low tolerance for childish name calling and personal attacks on this forum. I feel that it is a courtesy to point this out to you, as you may not have noticed, and I feel that the tone of your reply is less than respectful.Sincererly, a fellow genvibe member
millster

Post by millster »

*Edit*My apologies to those who read my threat to ban Sox. Those of you who have been attacked by him in the past will be pleased to know that given the magnitude of his indiscretions, I simply followed through on my threat.
-Millster-
2006 Toyota Matrix XR
1995 Saab 9000CSE 2.3T
1986 Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas (GM Drivetrain Conversion)
2007 Outback XT EJ257 2.6L Build
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

Now Millster... Sox may be a loud mouth, says some rude things... but is it ban worthy..?? ... and we both know how close i've been... Temp ban, if he doesn't get the picture, then full ban.. This is my stance... Nobody like being called names, but let's face it, 99.999% of us are adults here... I think a little name calling and hurt feelings is easily enough brushed off by an adult... he didn't curse at anyone... last I knew "sonny" wasn't a curse word... (sounds like an old duffer to me, honestly...lol... I should know, my dad turned 70 last sunday..lol.. )Boy, you guys should see one of my other forums... we have a "chat box" in the OT section... well, some serious ish goes down in there... You'd think you where in a prison chat.. lol.. without the violence... lol.. So, while I don't condone what Sox does, I don't feel it's ban-able... my .02$
millster

Post by millster »

Well Sublime, it's not normally my policy to announce such things in public anyway. But let's just say I'm not only talking about THIS thread. This thread was just the last straw. Several warnings had been sent in the past and ignored and that's just the way things go.I appreciate your stance, but if you knew the whole story, you'd appreciate mine too. Cool?Anyway, back to our regularly scheduled thread, please.
-Millster-
2006 Toyota Matrix XR
1995 Saab 9000CSE 2.3T
1986 Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas (GM Drivetrain Conversion)
2007 Outback XT EJ257 2.6L Build
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

I figured that was the case... But you let it out, so I just wanted to see if this was a last straw or not... I appreciate your stanceBack to the regularly scheduled thread... Thank you..
bodhi_tree777

Re: (millster)

Post by bodhi_tree777 »

Quote, originally posted by millster »Well Sublime, it's not normally my policy to announce such things in public anyway. But let's just say I'm not only talking about THIS thread. This thread was just the last straw. Several warnings had been sent in the past and ignored and that's just the way things go.very true, unfortunately I can say because of personal experience with that guy. The thread in question was ultimately deleted, and I don't think many people saw it. My past experience with him was why I kept quiet when he started the "little boy" and "you all are ignorant" jazz here. I figured it would play itself out and it did. Many thanks for the admins of this forum for keeping it clean and reasonable