18 inch low profile tires

Wheel and tire information and upgrade discussions
bikeman1

18 inch low profile tires

Post by bikeman1 »

I just > bought a 2009 GT (got a 2.4 base instead) -- I test drove a GT and was awfully impressed by the package, but the skinny tires "scared me off". However, I admit I am not very knowledgable about these low-profile tires (215/45R18)Clearly these are being marketed as "sexy wheels" but how do these tires perform? Do they wear faster than the 16" 205/55R16's? Why is it impossible to find these with a tread warranty? Why are they so $$$? It seems to me one could end up spending twice as much or more keeping a Vibe in these tires. Is the performance boost enough to merit this?The roads in our area are awful -- chuckhole city (they do it to inexpensively mark the state border ) and that was another factor...even the P205/55s can give a rough ride esp if they are a little low on air....Any GT afficionados out there with a different take?Finally, what was the "wishbone strut" package all about?BM1
Gamma Vibe ==> 2007 Base 5-speed, Neptune
Delta Vibe ==> 2009 Base 2.4L 5-speed, Red Hot Metallic
but still more bikes than Vibes....
keithvibe

Re: 18 inch low profile tires (bikeman1)

Post by keithvibe »

Quote, originally posted by bikeman1 »I just > bought a 2009 GT (got a 2.4 base instead) -- I test drove a GT and was awfully impressed by the package, but the skinny tires "scared me off". However, I admit I am not very knowledgable about these low-profile tires (215/45R18)Clearly these are being marketed as "sexy wheels" but how do these tires perform? better than stockDo they wear faster than the 16" 205/55R16's? yes because they have a sticker compound that will make the car handle better in the curves, stop and excel better Why is it impossible to find these with a tread warranty? because they are considered high performance tires, all high performance tires have no treadwear warrantyWhy are they so $$$?again because they are high performance tires for better handling in curves, stopping and excelling It seems to me one could end up spending twice as much or more keeping a Vibe in these tires. Is the performance boost enough to merit this? any tire upgrade is worth the handling differenceThe roads in our area are awful -- chuckhole city (they do it to inexpensively mark the state border ) and that was another factor...even the P205/55s can give a rough ride esp if they are a little low on air....Any GT afficionados out there with a different take?Finally, what was the "wishbone strut" package all about?wishbone suspension is that, it looks like a wish bone. Which transfers in to better handling over the stock solid rear axle suspension, because each tire can move independent of each other.BM1My reply's are in bold
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
bikeman1

Re: 18 inch low profile tires (keithvibe)

Post by bikeman1 »

Thanks KV. Those answers seem valid. Here's a more difficult question:a) how does one choose between performance in the curves and performance in rough road conditions....and let me predict: the answer is "what do you want the car for"b) how much of a premium can one expect to pay for performance tires in comparison to harder/more durable/less performing tires? It occurs to me that a lot of this may be related to how much -- and how frequently -- one likes buying new tires! And what one's preferred style of driving is of course...By the way, what performance tires do you like/ride, and why do you like them?Thanks for the intelligent answers....BM1
keithvibe

Re: 18 inch low profile tires (bikeman1)

Post by keithvibe »

Quote, originally posted by bikeman1 »Thanks KV. Those answers seem valid. Here's a more difficult question:a) how does one choose between performance in the curves and performance in rough road conditions....and let me predict: the answer is "what do you want the car for" all depended on the driver, if they are 65 and only going to the store for food or if your 16->>? and drive spirited*likes to take 20mph curves at 50* like myself will help decide what tire/rim package one should chooseb) how much of a premium can one expect to pay for performance tires in comparison to harder/more durable/less performing tires? depends on tire and manufacturer of the tire. Some all season tires are as cheap as 80bucks and some *summer(z-rated) tires can be had for about the same price* Some tires go as high as 300bucks a pieceIt occurs to me that a lot of this may be related to how much -- and how frequently -- one likes buying new tires! And what one's preferred style of driving is of course... see aboveBy the way, what performance tires do you like/ride, and why do you like them?I am currently running General exclaim uhp tires (for my summer tires)size 225/40/18 they are a very good tire they cost me just a touch over 80bucks each. They are considered an *allseason* tire but I wouldn't trust them in a small dusting of snow. Reason being they have a soft rubber compound that will harden as the weather turns colder, reducing traction and safty. You can see photos of them in my garage link*see my siggy* I am running 16" winter tires.Thanks for the intelligent answers....BM1As for comfort if you want comfort stick to 15-16" tires and rims, reason being there is a taller sidewall on the tires to help absorb the road bumps.If you want performance go with 17-18" tires and rims for that (rides on rails feeling) will have a shorter stiffer sidewall for improved proformance because the tires don't flex as muchmy winter tires from the place i bought them fromhttps://www.tiresavings.com/ti...=SnowMy summer tires bought from the same place
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
bikeman1

Jazzy Vibe

Post by bikeman1 »

Looks like you had a great deal of fun putting that together Keith! Its a pretty nifty looking package. Keep those tires in good shape and don't bump into any trees!we certainly have our share of curves in WV as do you in NE PA. But we may have more than our share of road hazards viz. big holes and mine trucks taking their part of the curve out of the middle. Grabby rubber would be a nice luxury but an occasionally painful one. So I think I'll stick to the all-season 16's. For the tires I am looking at to replace the stock ones (Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS) I think I would get decent treadlife and a reasonably soft ride; would be able to handle light snow and "mush" which is a lot of what we get. I do like your rotating two wheelsets. We are right on the edge of having enough snowfall to make that worthwhile. What 18" wheels did you get?And I am curious how cooperative installers are with these web tire places.....we have one place in town that I like which installs for Tire Rack but it seems like these web outfits selling discount Taiwanese tires may be cutting into their margins....how does that work....Nifty Vibe! I suppose you smile whenever you hop in (with good reason...)
keithvibe

Re: Jazzy Vibe (bikeman1)

Post by keithvibe »

my wheels were silver at one point. I painted them the color you now see.They are sport wheels. This model is no longer made.Some installers will charge a few bucks more if you bring in your own tires. If they do call someone else.Having someone install tires that you bring in will range between 14-20bucks on each tire.Usually 18" tires will be more to mount and balance because of the shorter sidewall/stiffer sidewall. They usually take a bit more muscle to get on the rims.The other thing you will need to take in to consideration is your 2009 TPMS(tire pressure monitoring system) they have special sensor mounted to the rims and you will need either a whole nother set for the *spair* rims or place a piece of black tape over the light LOL
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

For your application, you may wish to keep the 16's... just put nice tires... You can get good performance AND good rim protection AND handling at the same time... You might not get a 60,000mi warrante, but you can have your cake and eat it too.. Have a look at the Kumho SPT, Federal 595, Falken FK452..
keithvibe

Re: (Sublimewind)

Post by keithvibe »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^resident tire guru/audio bout time you got here sublime
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

I have to say that I share that title, homie... Between you and some of the others, we hold it down..
bikeman1

Post by bikeman1 »

aka the Winter Tire Guy.....thanks for the tips on the tires WTG....at this latitude I'll probably stick to the 16's unless a nice set of wheels drops in my lap. The garage is also pretty full up.
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

WTG lol... Well, like I said, you can have the best of both worlds simply by using a good tire... Where you are at, a summer specific tire like I mentioned above would be idea... You may replace them more often, but the performance (confidence in the curves) you gain is worth it IMHO.. It also increases brake performance... With the curves and hills you have, I would use a winter tire for sure when snow falls... (not like you get a lot, right?)
Lionswillcomeback

Post by Lionswillcomeback »

So, after reading all this, I should stay away from the 17s and 18s I have been looking at because of stiff ride and/or it messing up the sensors? Are the sensors a big deal or what? I have the 09 2.4L. AWD. Everytime I read something on here, I get my mind changed on rim size and tire tread.....Any thoughts? I live 12 miles south of DC and the weather is opposite of home state-MI- WEAK...so I don't worry about snow anymore!
bikeman1

Re: Lions in Virginia

Post by bikeman1 »

Lions, if you really want to understand all this, go to TireRack.Com and read all the review on each tire they carry. Bring a shirt with long sleeves that tie up behind the back Its amazing how many tires get made. Word of mouth from guys like Keith and WTG is helpful....Hey what is with the Lion thing in Virginia? Are you running a rescue shelter for zoo escapees, or what??By the way WTG -- we do get a fair amount of snow in WV but it is localized and elevation dependent, strongly. What we do have is a lot of hills and curvy roads. Here in Morgantown (a relatively low place....) the elevations range from 850 feet at the river to 1245 on top of the hill (where I live) We get easily twice as much snowfall up here as downtown -- but still maybe only 30 inches a year or so. In Preston County to the east (elevation 2500-3500 feet) they can get 10 feet or more per annum. Over there, snow tires would be mandatory. Here you can get away with good all seasons -- but probably not summer tires. Plus, incredibly, most people in Morgantown (a lot of transplants) have NO idea how to drive in snow. They do down (or up...) steep hills at 5 mph with the brakes locked in #^%$#$* To both of you, there are some great mountain-driving roads in the eastern part of the state if you're looking for a weekend trip (also no mine trucks.....). If I were inclined to soft rubber as you two are, I'd be mightily attracted to Rte 219 between Elkins and Marlinton....http://maps.google.com/maps?f=...4&z=9Its a gorgeous tour, frequented by bikers, that goes by one of our ski areas, Snowshoe. Sort of our Black Hills but no Sturgis rally yet. Also some good restaurants down there, though Andrew Zimmern (the guy that eats bugs on the Travel Channel) did a segment on the restaurant at Snowshoe where he made them cook him squirrel. Not really a staple down here, but we do it to keep the tourists from DC under control....BM1
Lionswillcomeback

Re: Lions in Virginia (bikeman1)

Post by Lionswillcomeback »

Thanks for the info! I do run a zoo. It is for former Lions players who said they were going to "turn the team around".....It is very full. I am the only one I know who hasn't turned on the team! Just wish I could watch em more. Another question. Does it really matter what size tire I get on my 18s? Aren't all tires going to ride like a board with that much tire cushion disappearing??? I am having a hard time finding 18s on Craigslist out here that match my 5x114. Ebay is out. I have looked all over tirerack and many others....
Sublimewind

Re: Lions in Virginia (bikeman1)

Post by Sublimewind »

Quote, originally posted by bikeman1 »Lions, if you really want to understand all this, go to TireRack.Com and read all the review on each tire they carry. Bring a shirt with long sleeves that tie up behind the back Its amazing how many tires get made. Word of mouth from guys like Keith and WTG is helpful....Hey what is with the Lion thing in Virginia? Are you running a rescue shelter for zoo escapees, or what??By the way WTG -- we do get a fair amount of snow in WV but it is localized and elevation dependent, strongly. What we do have is a lot of hills and curvy roads. Here in Morgantown (a relatively low place....) the elevations range from 850 feet at the river to 1245 on top of the hill (where I live) We get easily twice as much snowfall up here as downtown -- but still maybe only 30 inches a year or so. In Preston County to the east (elevation 2500-3500 feet) they can get 10 feet or more per annum. Over there, snow tires would be mandatory. Here you can get away with good all seasons -- but probably not summer tires. Plus, incredibly, most people in Morgantown (a lot of transplants) have NO idea how to drive in snow. They do down (or up...) steep hills at 5 mph with the brakes locked in #^%$#$* To both of you, there are some great mountain-driving roads in the eastern part of the state if you're looking for a weekend trip (also no mine trucks.....). If I were inclined to soft rubber as you two are, I'd be mightily attracted to Rte 219 between Elkins and Marlinton....http://maps.google.com/maps?f=...4&z=9Its a gorgeous tour, frequented by bikers, that goes by one of our ski areas, Snowshoe. Sort of our Black Hills but no Sturgis rally yet. Also some good restaurants down there, though Andrew Zimmern (the guy that eats bugs on the Travel Channel) did a segment on the restaurant at Snowshoe where he made them cook him squirrel. Not really a staple down here, but we do it to keep the tourists from DC under control....BM1I have family in the V-WV area (roanoak and surrounding) I just last febuary sold my beater Subaru to a guy in Morganstown.. lol
Sublimewind

Re: (Lionswillcomeback)

Post by Sublimewind »

Quote, originally posted by Lionswillcomeback »So, after reading all this, I should stay away from the 17s and 18s I have been looking at because of stiff ride and/or it messing up the sensors? Are the sensors a big deal or what? I have the 09 2.4L. AWD. Everytime I read something on here, I get my mind changed on rim size and tire tread.....Any thoughts? I live 12 miles south of DC and the weather is opposite of home state-MI- WEAK...so I don't worry about snow anymore!You have to ask yourself what you want... You know a 17" with a 45 series tire can net you the looks and the handling AND protect the rim... I live in Mi and we have frikkin speed bumps in the middle of the highways (frost heaves) so I wouldn't(edit) use a 18", but my 17's work nicely..
bikeman1

Re: Lions in Virginia (Sublimewind)

Post by bikeman1 »

Quote, originally posted by Sublimewind »I have family in the V-WV area (roanoak and surrounding) I just last febuary sold my beater Subaru to a guy in Morganstown.. lolMorgantown has a bunch of subaru lovers. The standard rig for a kayaker is an outback with a roof rack and 2 kayaks. Have a sale of Alpha Vibe to a young college student from Roanoke.....
Jacobmartin7

Re: 18 inch low profile tires

Post by Jacobmartin7 »

My 2004 base vibe is lowered 2 inches in the front and 2 in the back. I wanna get 18x8 wheels with low pro tires. I'm concerned about hitting the strut or fender. Has anyone else done this??