IRS Certified Letter?

General discussions not related to the Vibe, Matrix, or any other vehicle. (follow posting rules)
Whelan

IRS Certified Letter?

Post by Whelan »

I looked it up on google and got a bunch of different results. Not myself, but someone I know got a Certified Letter, it's at the PO and needs to be picked up. Here are a few things that make no sense. It seems typically they send these out when you owe them money or are being audited.This person owes nothing, got a return last year, is not delinquent with anything and just sent in their tax return last week. I can guarantee they do not go through the return THAT fast to send a letter so quickly. Heck I sent mine in a month ago and have nothing yet.So my theory is it could be some kind of informational notice maybe an auto generated one about the 15th coming up soon or something, who knows.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
jake75

Re: IRS Certified Letter? (Whelan)

Post by jake75 »

The IRS does not send out communications by Certified Mail unless it is something important - like we've notified you 4 times about this and you never responded, or this is your final notice before we levy on your bank account.The other possibility is that is is some kind of fraud.Obviously it would nto be about a 2008 return recently filed - and perhaps not even about a 2007 return as it takes IRS over a year before they get real nasty.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
djkeev

Post by djkeev »

It could be so many things.One of your neighbors want's to build an addition and needs a variance,They are building a trash incinerator on the next block and the law requires they contact everyone within x number of feet,A lawyer about an inheritence you are unaware of,You're being sued over somethingEtc.Pick it up, it obligates you to nothing. If you don't pick it up and it WAS important and the ramifications of not getting the letter bother you somehow, well they have proof that they TRIED to do the proper thing and contact you and now you just have to live with the results.Dave
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

Quote, originally posted by Whelan »I looked it up on google and got a bunch of different results. Not myself, but someone I know got a Certified Letter, it's at the PO and needs to be picked up. Here are a few things that make no sense. It seems typically they send these out when you owe them money or are being audited.This person owes nothing, got a return last year, is not delinquent with anything and just sent in their tax return last week. I can guarantee they do not go through the return THAT fast to send a letter so quickly. Heck I sent mine in a month ago and have nothing yet.So my theory is it could be some kind of informational notice maybe an auto generated one about the 15th coming up soon or something, who knows. Quote, originally posted by djkeev »It could be so many things.One of your neighbors want's to build an addition and needs a variance,They are building a trash incinerator on the next block and the law requires they contact everyone within x number of feet,A lawyer about an inheritence you are unaware of,You're being sued over somethingEtc.Pick it up, it obligates you to nothing. If you don't pick it up and it WAS important and the ramifications of not getting the letter bother you somehow, well they have proof that they TRIED to do the proper thing and contact you and now you just have to live with the results.DaveWhile none of the items that Dave lists would cause the IRS to send you a certified letter, just pick it up Instead of searching and speculating. Then and you'll know the reason why and it can be dealt with. Better to do it sooner than later/not at all.
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
djkeev

Re: IRS Certified Letter? (BlueCrush)

Post by djkeev »

Quote, originally posted by BlueCrush »While none of the items that Dave lists would cause the IRS to send you a certified letter, just pick it up Instead of searching and speculating. Then and you'll know the reason why and it can be dealt with. Better to do it sooner than later/not at all.I missed the point that he KNEW this was from the IRS.But this is my point, there's most likely something in that letter that he should know about. If they are going to garnish wages, they're gonna do it anyway, they are just being "nice" and telling you about it. It would be so much better to know about it and head off any negative action.Maybe, just maybe the IRS realized this guy has overpaid for decades and there is a $20,000 check in there?!?!OR.....It's from Obama, it's your buddy's portion of the federal stimulus package. Dave
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)
Whelan

Re: IRS Certified Letter? (djkeev)

Post by Whelan »

Oh its going to get picked up, we were just speculating as to what it could be. They cannot get it until tomorrow.No business owned on the side, no other issues with past taxes. OH well. I'll keep you posted.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
zionzr2

Post by zionzr2 »

I got my return in less than a month and I filled the old fashioned way.I few years ago i got a letter shortly after filing that i miss calculated the amount of estimated tax i payed and it would be deducted from the amount i was carrying over to the next year as I was expecting to owe.That letter was sent regular mail though!
Whelan

Re: IRS Certified Letter? (13Vibe03)

Post by Whelan »

Well she found out last night it wasn't the IRS but the DRS. Which would be the State Department of Revenue Services. Turns out this morning it's exactly what I first thought. Her email address was not very clearly printed on the Certified. I sent her stuff Certified Mail, and typically you get an email. but since hers was not very legible, they sent a confirmation that the letter was received by mail.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

Quote, originally posted by Whelan »Well she found out last night it wasn't the IRS but the DRS. Which would be the State Department of Revenue Services. Turns out this morning it's exactly what I first thought. Her email address was not very clearly printed on the Certified. I sent her stuff Certified Mail, and typically you get an email. but since hers was not very legible, they sent a confirmation that the letter was received by mail. LOL!
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Someone I know got an icon on their cell phone that they have a new text message. They haven't read it yet. What if it is bad news? What should they do?
BlueCrush

Re: IRS Certified Letter? (joatmon)

Post by BlueCrush »

Quote, originally posted by joatmon »Someone I know got an icon on their cell phone that they have a new text message. They haven't read it yet. What if it is bad news? What should they do?Hahaha!
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
Whelan

Re: IRS Certified Letter? (BlueCrush)

Post by Whelan »

Hey a speculation post that got 13 replies (including my updates). It was a slow day yesterday.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT