Dog medacine taking advise needed.

General discussions not related to the Vibe, Matrix, or any other vehicle. (follow posting rules)
KNINE

Dog medacine taking advise needed.

Post by KNINE »

My vet recently prescribed a vitamin supplement for my Shepherd. It comes in a liquid form. She has to take about a tablespoon a day. Well, miss diva hates it. I tried putting in milk and beef broth to mask it. As soon as detects it, she turns up her canine nose refuses to have anything to do with it. Does anybody have any tricks? I wish it was a pill. Those are easy to disguise.
"Don't look to the government to solve your problems, the government is the problem." Ronald Reagan"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin.
BlueCrush

Re: Dog medacine taking advise needed. (K-NINE)

Post by BlueCrush »

We have used a medication syringe(non-needle) down the throat for Zephyr. We also have used a spoon, takes 2 people though, 1 to hold him and one to give that lovin' spoonful.
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
nygiantzz1

Post by nygiantzz1 »

Try a syringe, like Brian suggested. She will probably figure out what you're doing after a couple doses and resist. If that happens, try this: get some cold cuts (bologna or ham works well), use one hand to form a small cup with a slice of meat and the other hand to pour the medicine into the cup you've formed. (I usually make a circle with my thumb and finger and push a slice of meat through to make it deep enough to hold the dose without spilling). Then pinch the slice together at the top and dangle it in front of the dog. She won't be able to resist. It will be in her stomach before she realizes the medicine is in there.
NUBlackshirts

Post by NUBlackshirts »

When I read the title, I thought, "Why are you taking dog medicine?" Too bad it's in liquid form. Solids are easy...put it inside some meat and toss it to the dog.I wonder if the supplement would be as effective if it was poured into your dog's food and mixed in?
'04 Frosty GT <---Click here!Tein S-Tech springs; Tokico HP struts;Progress rear sway bar; DC Sports strut tower bar;Scion TC wheels; K&N Typhoon intake;GG Racing ground wires; JAW voltage stabilizer;FilterMAG SS-250; Militec-1; Sirius Satellite Radio
808 Vibes

Re: Dog medacine taking advise needed. (NUBlackshirts)

Post by 808 Vibes »

Sardines, sardines, sardines!! My vet recommended this to hide medicines, and I don't see why it wouldn't work with liquids...that stink will cover up *****ANYTHING!!***** What you could do is take a chunk (or whole sardine in your doggie's case) and pour the liquid over it. She will give you fishy flavored kisses to thank you after. And maybe fish burps LOL
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
bodhi_tree777

Post by bodhi_tree777 »

you could always try taking a little yourself first, just to show her that it's okay and not scary.then again, you're talking about a dog rather than a 2 year old, so that may not work.
james / bodhi tree studio / tattoos & illustration / http://www.bodhitreestudio.comebay store : vintage clothing & toys---03 Satellite Vibe GT // 04 Neptune base // 1986 VW Golf // 1990 VW Golf GL---
BlueCrush

Re: Dog medacine taking advise needed. (bodhi_tree777)

Post by BlueCrush »

Quote, originally posted by bodhi_tree777 »you could always try taking a little yourself first, just to show her that it's okay and not scary.then again, you're talking about a dog rather than a 2 year old, so that may not work.That only worked with a Quaker Parakeet we had for 15years. lol. He wouldn't eat anything new until he saw us eat it. (Just gave him up for adoption last month since we didn't have the time to properly care for him and give him the amount of attention he needs. He is doing great in his new home with 11 other birds.)
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
Kari

Post by Kari »

I agree with the recommendations of the syringe. The vet's office should be able to give you one. We have several lying around for when we have had liquid meds for the dogs...not sure why they didn't give you one. If you can't get her mouth open to get her to swallow it, try squirting it in her "jowl" at the back corner of her jaw...they will usually swallow it that way.
GenVibe Global Moderator
audiovibe

Post by audiovibe »

you could also try it mixed in with some cottage cheese, this will also get rid of any dandruff the pooch may be having.Aron
Vibe is gone and will be missed as I've gone country style
KNINE

Re: (audiovibe)

Post by KNINE »

I tasted that stuff last night, and it's disgusting. I can see why she doesn't want it. I'm going to try some of your tips after I visit the grocery store tonight.I'm having to come up with new ways to hide the antibiotic capsules she's taking. She figured out that I'm hiding them in her treats, and is starting to spit them out. Sometimes I wish I had a stupid dog.
"Don't look to the government to solve your problems, the government is the problem." Ronald Reagan"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin.
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

Mix it in some soft dog food... mix it good..
Sputnik

Post by Sputnik »

For my cats, we used a syringe for liquid meds. Its a two person job - one to hold the cat, one to shove the syringe into their mouth - far enough so that they don't spit it out.
GenVibe Global Moderator

Current: 2012 Nissan Juke SL - Sapphire Blue Onyx (July '12 - present)
Current: 2012 Nissan Leaf SL 100% Electric - Blue Ocean (Dec '11 - present)

Past: 2003 Pontiac Vibe - Satellite Silver (Aug '02 - Dec '07)
808 Vibes

Re: (K-NINE)

Post by 808 Vibes »

Quote, originally posted by K-NINE »I tasted that stuff last night, and it's disgusting. DUDE...you're hardcore LOL
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
audiovibe

Post by audiovibe »

Capsules are easy, wrap it is some cheese. Thats what our vet told us. my dog now never spits out medicine.Aron
Vibe is gone and will be missed as I've gone country style
omahavibe

Re: (audiovibe)

Post by omahavibe »

I feel your pain having a smart dog. I once had a german shepherd female that was so smart, she would take beer cans out of the 12 pack or so my husband kept in the basement, puncture one with her teeth and set it down on the floor so my cocker spaniel could lap it up. He was an alkie, she never drank it, but she sure as hell enabled him. Never minded until a furnace repairman needed to get into the room where they kenneled during the day. Walked in with him, beer cans all over the floor, the cocker passed out in the corner and the shepherd, wagging her tail, smiling. What can I say, the cocker must have had a hard day.......I second the syringe trick, but don't go in in the front, there is a spot near the very back of their mouth that if you can pull the lip back a bit and stick the syringe in, it's down their throat before they know what hit them.....
808 Vibes

Re: (omahavibe)

Post by 808 Vibes »

We need an update on Miss Diva Luna. BTW, I sent you an email about where you can get the senior supplements in your area.
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
KNINE

Re: (HawaiiPontiacLover)

Post by KNINE »

She still refuses to take her medicine. She can smell it in everything I put it in. Actually it's a vitamin supplement. Her antibiotics are in capsule form, so those are easier to disguise. She's going back to the Vet on Saturday for a follow up.
808 Vibes

Post by 808 Vibes »

Toughlove, daddy! You can do it!
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
KNINE

Post by KNINE »

Quote, originally posted by HawaiiPontiacLover »BTW, I sent you an email about where you can get the senior supplements in your area. Are those for me or Luna????
808 Vibes

Post by 808 Vibes »

I'm going to pick up my dog's Co-Q-10 capsules and some sardines. I bet you'd like to try some of that too
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
808 Vibes

Post by 808 Vibes »

50mg CoQ10 capsule for a heart murmur, shown here before the top chunk is added to be made into a sardine sandwich. This dog doesn't chew; just inhales like a vacuum.
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~