windshield wiper fluid freeze

Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Rhode Island, Vermont
sushas

windshield wiper fluid freeze

Post by sushas »

Just came back from my 2nd trip to quebec in the winter with my 03 Vibe and for the second time the windshield wiper fluid stopped dispensing when the temperature got around 10 degrees F. I had to resort to pulling over and splash the windshield - was quite dangerous. After garaging everything worked fine for about 10min in the cold, then the same problem started. As soon as we were back further south, and temps were back to around 15 degrees, it started working again. I used -40 degree fluid and made sure it was filled up. Has anyone had this problem? And what can I do?Am afraid to take the Vibe on another ski trip!
CAN-AWD-VIBE

Post by CAN-AWD-VIBE »

it's been well below 0f here this year and I have had no problem with freezing.... perhaps your -40 was mixed with some leftover summer stuff?I only use the blue -40 stuff year round... never have that problem.Whatever the issue I promise its not the Vibe that is at fault, don't be afraid of taking it skiing, we go all the time.... just drain the w/w fluid and refill with new -40 stuff.
CAN-AWD-VIBE03 Neptune AWDInjen CAI, Hotchkis springs, custom magnaflow exhaust w/4" tip, tint, window deflectors, stubby antenna, 3pc Mr. Grille, foglight conversion mod, Grafxwerks front & steering wheels overlays, Injen oil cap, strut tower brace, P225/45R17 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, 17" ADR Sokudos
ou.grizzly

Re: (CAN-AWD-VIBE)

Post by ou.grizzly »

Pretty much what we use
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
Tonyk27

Post by Tonyk27 »

I've bin having the same problem and I use the blue -40 stuff year round too?
ou.grizzly

Re: (Tonyk27)

Post by ou.grizzly »

Quote, originally posted by Tonyk27 »I've bin having the same problem and I use the blue -40 stuff year round too?I have not had a problem yet so far and you are no more north than me in Michigan... Are you allowing your car to warm up for 10-15 minutes before driving to allow the heat from the engine radiate and warm up the lines? Properly clearing the snow from the front of the washer jet nozzles? If you go not let the vehicle warm up properly and take up right way, if it is cold out and the wind blowing against the front will freeze any fluids faster than it sitting still; has to do with the wind chill factor.
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
ehoff121

Re: windshield wiper fluid freeze (sushas)

Post by ehoff121 »

A woman from Vermont with the same problem was on Car Talk this weekend.Click and Clack told her to garage it and use wiper concentrate at 3/4 to half the ratio of water to concentrate.
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
ehoff121

Re: (ou.grizzly)

Post by ehoff121 »

[QUOTE=ou.grizzly]Pretty much what we use +1 Target sells the 5 quart version that is both a de-icer and bug remover.
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

Quote, originally posted by sushas »Just came back from my 2nd trip to quebec in the winter with my 03 Vibe and for the second time the windshield wiper fluid stopped dispensing when the temperature got around 10 degrees F. I had to resort to pulling over and splash the windshield - was quite dangerous. After garaging everything worked fine for about 10min in the cold, then the same problem started. As soon as we were back further south, and temps were back to around 15 degrees, it started working again. I used -40 degree fluid and made sure it was filled up. Has anyone had this problem? And what can I do?Am afraid to take the Vibe on another ski trip!Ive never had that happen to my vibe or any car. Either the nozzles were frozen over, wrong fluid OR the motor/pump is having some problems when it gets cold.
psiu

Post by psiu »

I have that problem if I just get in and go when it's that cold, but even if it's cold it will start spraying after some drive time on the freeway.
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

I had mine freeze when it was in the 20's... I have no idea what kind of garbage fluid the dealer had used last time they changed oil, but whatever it was it froze almost instantly... I tried adding half a bottle of some Prestone washer fluid anti-freeze, helped a little.I ended up just running the washers for a bit every few minutes until it was all gone. Filled it up with some good winter fluid and topped it back off with the rest of the windshield washer anti-freeze stuff. No problems since. And I'll make sure the reservior is overflowing the next time it goes in so they won't be filling it up.I've used that Rain-X fluid the others have posted about - tis pretty good stuff.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
sushas

Post by sushas »

Thanks for all of your comments! I had -40 stuff, maybe mixed with a little -25 stuff, so I don't think this was the problem... also on the way up it worked and then stopped right when we hit around 10 degrees, even though we were driving for about 7hrs (so the motor was certainly warm) and I had been using the wipers constantly up to that point (I topped off the fluid inbetween) to avaoid it to freeze. On the way south the car had been garaged, (so it was warm), it stopped working suddenly and started up around 15 degrees just as suddenly, even though 15 is still way below freezing. Does this seem consistent with a bad batch of fluid?? What about the pump freezing?
Raven

Re: (sushas)

Post by Raven »

When it's going to be really cold, I add some pure methanol to the washer fluid. It's cheap and really lowers the freezing point.
BlueCrush

Re: (Raven)

Post by BlueCrush »

I've been using the "Splash" brand De-Icer wiper fluid this winter. No problems, even at -20°.
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD