Help with rust

Tips, tricks, and recommendations for keeping your vehicle looking new
Amtron

Help with rust

Post by Amtron »

Can anyone tell me the best way to remove, or prevent the spread of, a patch of rust that is seeping down from my back door handle? It hasn't completely turned to rust, but I want to stop it and make it go away
kevera

Re: Help with rust (Amtron)

Post by kevera »

The only way to fix it,is to sell it Can't believe you have rust on an 05 already.
June '07 VOTM Sept '07 MOTM HCVO /HCMO The Red Devil
Amtron

Re: Help with rust (kevera)

Post by Amtron »

Quote, originally posted by kevera »The only way to fix it,is to sell it Can't believe you have rust on an 05.It's no quite rust, it's still in the early stages. It's the ONLY spot where I have any form of wear an tear.
Amtron

Post by Amtron »

Here, I took a picture:
Whelan

Re: (Amtron)

Post by Whelan »

Remove the door handle and cover the area with a rust remover and then a rust proofer. If that fails, then cover the area with a clear silicone.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
Amtron

Re: (Whelan)

Post by Amtron »

Thanks! I'll try that!Any tips to removing the stuff already there?
kunkstyle

Post by kunkstyle »

Replace the door panel. The rust remover should take care of that. I can give you my formula for removing rust from ski edges, but that may cause more harm than good on your vibe LOL.
Kunkstyle's Garage:2006 AWD Pontiac VibeInfinity/Rockford/Kenwood Audio, CAI, Cupholder LED's, Keyless Entry Mod2000 Porsche 911 C2Kenwood Audio, Ultimate Cupholders, DRL's, 0-60 in 4.9 seconds.
Amtron

Re: (kunkstyle)

Post by Amtron »

Quote, originally posted by kunkstyle »The rust remover should take care of that. I can give you my formula for removing rust from ski edges, but that may cause more harm than good on your vibe LOL.lol I'll pass on that one then I'll try and find some rust remover.
kunkstyle

Post by kunkstyle »

If you're picky about keeping things OEM, AC Delco carries a rust remover available at most dealerships.

Attached files
Kunkstyle's Garage:2006 AWD Pontiac VibeInfinity/Rockford/Kenwood Audio, CAI, Cupholder LED's, Keyless Entry Mod2000 Porsche 911 C2Kenwood Audio, Ultimate Cupholders, DRL's, 0-60 in 4.9 seconds.
Amtron

Re: (kunkstyle)

Post by Amtron »

Quote, originally posted by kunkstyle »If you're picky about keeping things OEM, AC Delco carries a rust remover available at most dealerships.Do you think Canadian Tire would carry it?
keithvibe

Re: Help with rust (Amtron)

Post by keithvibe »

two words
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
kunkstyle

Re: Help with rust (keithvibe)

Post by kunkstyle »

8 words: Canada blows when it comes to automotive products. Home Hardware carries what I think is the same product, similar at the very least. It's called Permatex Rust Remover, but it's in their system as Naval Jelly. Amazon carries Navel Jelly but won't ship it north of the 49.Trying ... to ... resist ... urge to say ... that a Q-tip and hot water works better than navel jelly...
bull77

Post by bull77 »

Quote, originally posted by Amtron »Do you think Canadian Tire would carry it?they must carry something that would remove rust --- i bought some rust prevention spray for our bikes before the winter...btw kunkstyle --- that's not a pic of anything ac delco related
kunkstyle

Re: (bull77)

Post by kunkstyle »

Quote, originally posted by bull77 »btw kunkstyle --- that's not a pic of anything ac delco related Whoever said it was? I just needed a place to upload it.
Wolfman213

Re: Help with rust (kunkstyle)

Post by Wolfman213 »

Quote, originally posted by kunkstyle »Amazon carries Navel Jelly but won't ship it north of the 49.Which 49 are you referring to? Or are you counting Hawaii? Just never heard id deemed the 49 lol
April 2010 Co-MOTM * Custom LED Gauge Cluster swap * LED dome, HVAC, and shifter * Retrofit projector w/ blue halo * Kenwood KDC-HD942U * Herculined cargo area * Debadged *Wolfman's Garage
bull77

Re: Help with rust (Wolfman213)

Post by bull77 »

Quote, originally posted by Wolfman213 »Which 49 are you referring to? Or are you counting Hawaii? Just never heard id deemed the 49 lol49th parallel
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

I was even good in geography, but I never new that! Thanks for the clarification bull77!!!
April 2010 Co-MOTM * Custom LED Gauge Cluster swap * LED dome, HVAC, and shifter * Retrofit projector w/ blue halo * Kenwood KDC-HD942U * Herculined cargo area * Debadged *Wolfman's Garage
Whelan

Re: (Wolfman213)

Post by Whelan »

Naval Jelly is really good stuff. You can get it most anywhere. I would even take the step of checking out a marine store if you have one, like Boater's World or West Marine. They have loads of rust removal products that are really good.If it wasnt a painted surface I would say get a dremel or wire brush and remove it, but that's not the case here.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
dragon64

Re: (Whelan)

Post by dragon64 »

In Ottawa you can find Navel Jelly at Princess Auto. I use this stuff on restoration projects all the time. Just make sure that you flush the treated area well with water and let dry. I follow up with POR-15 Anti-Rust coatings before touching up with paint. Where you are showing the rust and also live in the same area check for rust inside the door. 9 time our of 10 there is more rust hiding inside than you see on the outside.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Manual - DBW controller, Hydraulic engine damper, S/S brakeline retrokit,22mm solid Rear ARB, urethane rear coil dampers, Front strut bar with brake cylinder brace, PIAA 410 driving lights, PRM Intake Wilwood front brakes, Lexus hood lifts
Amtron

Re: (dragon64)

Post by Amtron »

Quote, originally posted by dragon64 »In Ottawa you can find Navel Jelly at Princess Auto. I use this stuff on restoration projects all the time. Just make sure that you flush the treated area well with water and let dry. I follow up with POR-15 Anti-Rust coatings before touching up with paint. Where you are showing the rust and also live in the same area check for rust inside the door. 9 time our of 10 there is more rust hiding inside than you see on the outside. Thanks a lot! I will check that place out!
PapaCak

Post by PapaCak »

Did you have any luck removing the rust? I have the exact same problem on both rear door handles of my '03. I noticed that when I pull open the rear handles there is a screw type piece that helps to fasten the handles to the car that is rusting. I wonder if this could be the source of the rust staining and not the door itself. The screws are not on the front handles and I have no rust problem there. Thanks!
Amtron

Post by Amtron »

Yeah i ended up just spraying some rust/grease remover, I can't remember the name right now, but basically it cleans grease and rust and any sorta crap you get on the car. It's not the body that's rusting, it's the screw inside. I've seen this problem a lot, must be a flaw in the Vibe. Try using hot water on it like suggested, that might work?
PapaCak

Post by PapaCak »

Thanks much for the reply...I'll give it a shot and post results.
felixturcotte22

Re: Help with rust

Post by felixturcotte22 »

The thing i don't understand is why do all vines and matrixes have rust on the rear left door but nowhere else !! Any ideas ??