Airbag Light after HU install

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
silvrhawk7

Airbag Light after HU install

Post by silvrhawk7 »

I just installed a new sony HU (will have Pics to come) However shortly after the install, my Drivers side airbag light came on steady I dont recall pulling on any wires, and have not been able to check the fuses yet. Is there any data on the stock unit that talks to the computers that would relate to this. I also checked the search and could not find anything direct to this issue.
In Memory, taken too early in a rear end collision
Sunrise: June 2006, Sunset: Jan 2015 :cry:
Miles 129,000
2006 Silver Mono, Base 4-Speed auto.
In Memory of Pontiac Motor Division 1926-2010
In Memory of the Pontiac Vibe 2002-2009
cerulean

Re: Airbag Light after HU install (silvrhawk7)

Post by cerulean »

Check that the plug is fully connected to the airbag indicator on the radio bezel.Bob
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

Quote, originally posted by silvrhawk7 »I just installed a new sony HU (will have Pics to come) However shortly after the install, my Drivers side airbag light came on steady I dont recall pulling on any wires, and have not been able to check the fuses yet. Is there any data on the stock unit that talks to the computers that would relate to this. I also checked the search and could not find anything direct to this issue.They shouldn't be related in any way... Did you do a proper install with a harness to plug into the car? the only thing that I could think of being a possibility is that something got shorted, but it's a slim one... more info on the install process might help though...
silvrhawk7

Re: Airbag Light after HU install (Sublimewind)

Post by silvrhawk7 »

I connected the wires as the diagram was shown with the hardware. the light didnt come on right away though, and yes the plug on the bezel is connected.Now I know that there are two connectors to the Stock HU, the black one apparently isnt used for Aftermarket Installs, however does that send data to the stereo from the ECM or the Airbag Computer??
Miles 129,000
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

Quote, originally posted by silvrhawk7 »I connected the wires as the diagram was shown with the hardware. the light didnt come on right away though, and yes the plug on the bezel is connected.Now I know that there are two connectors to the Stock HU, the black one apparently isnt used for Aftermarket Installs, however does that send data to the stereo from the ECM or the Airbag Computer??It shouldn't, they shouldn't be related AT ALL... that's why I asked about the harness, cause some people will hack into the factory radio harness, being either to cheap or to dumb to buy the proper reverse harness for the car.. often times, this doesn't end well...lol... but even still, it shouldn't have anything thing to do with it and there shouldn't be anything really near by to harm... All harnesses related to the airbags are all bright yellow in color, did you disturb anything in bright yellow wire loom?
kunkstyle

Re: Airbag Light after HU install (Sublimewind)

Post by kunkstyle »

Quote, originally posted by silvrhawk7 »I just installed a new sony HU (will have Pics to come) However shortly after the install, my Drivers side airbag light came on steadyIf it came on shortly after and not right after, it could very well just be a coincidence. It seems unlikely that the HU would have anything to do with the airbag light.Were you installing an amp, running wires under the seats or anything? Is it possible the airbag wiring harness got dislodged?
Kunkstyle's Garage:2006 AWD Pontiac VibeInfinity/Rockford/Kenwood Audio, CAI, Cupholder LED's, Keyless Entry Mod2000 Porsche 911 C2Kenwood Audio, Ultimate Cupholders, DRL's, 0-60 in 4.9 seconds.
audiovibe

Post by audiovibe »

Also try to unconnect the battery wait a few seconds and then reconnect, that should reset and clear the code, but if it happens again somethings not right.Aron
Vibe is gone and will be missed as I've gone country style
kunkstyle

Re: (audiovibe)

Post by kunkstyle »

Quote, originally posted by audiovibe »Also try to unconnect the battery wait a few seconds and then reconnect, that should reset and clear the code, but if it happens again somethings not right.I was under the impression that that only works on CEL's, not airbag lights.
Kunkstyle's Garage:2006 AWD Pontiac VibeInfinity/Rockford/Kenwood Audio, CAI, Cupholder LED's, Keyless Entry Mod2000 Porsche 911 C2Kenwood Audio, Ultimate Cupholders, DRL's, 0-60 in 4.9 seconds.
audiovibe

Post by audiovibe »

That’s what I thought, Same thing happened when I did my remote start, un hooked battery and hooked it back up and the light went away, could have been a coincidence but it worked for me.Aron
Vibe is gone and will be missed as I've gone country style
silvrhawk7

Post by silvrhawk7 »

well, shortly after the discussion was opened, the light went away for some odd reason, and (Knock on wood) has not been back on since. as i was installing the HU, i didnt see any bright yellow wires, nor was i adding any components to the system. I kept the stock Sun and sound package in place for the time being, and unless parts start to fail i dont plan on replacing any of those components anytime soon. (tight budget these days). so thanx to everyone who gave any input on this.
Miles 129,000
Kerrangsta

Re: Airbag Light after HU install

Post by Kerrangsta »

Here's one, I installed a Pioneer DD with usb into my 2004 Vibe, went for months nd then I received my 3 notice to go in for passive restraint recall, so I finally made the appointment and about 4 days before the service the airbag light comes on. I have 180000 miles on my Vibe and believe it or not it runs great, I also run synthetic and a bit oversized oil filter, but anyways back to the airbag light. My Vibe is worth more to me but not in actual dollars, I may spend a c-note here or there if need be but getting into the airbag system when you have hardl;y any $$ personally is a slippery slope. So we need a new car for my wife, we go and make a great deal on a car and they offer me a deal for my Vibe to get us to buy the 2013 Nissan, so I bite knowing I cannot afford to fix the airbag system if it gets involved, plus what is a Vibe with 180K worth? So I am home getting ready to trade and pull out my Pioneer and slap the stock headset with no display (cause the cro-magnon me decided to smack the radio when the CD skipped, making one side go out, so what did I do, smacked it again to get it to come back on and boom both sides go out) and what do you think happened?
The damn airbag light went out!!!

Now IO am stuck driving my wifes leftover Mazda 3 which is a nightmare.

Go Figure