Moderators...We Need to Talk

Let us know of any problems, suggestions, or questions you have about the GenVibe Website and Forums
VforVIBE

Moderators...We Need to Talk

Post by VforVIBE »

Dearest Moderators,We know this issue is not new, we have been asking for changes to the front page and moderators have been promising changes for about two years now. If something is in the works, great, but you have to let us know and give us updates. We, the members are well versed in webpage design, layout, and graphic design, we are willing to do most of the work, but you guys and gals need to let us know what we can do to help.Love,Your Favorite GenVibe MembersPS We would like to thank you for your continuing hard work that helps GenVibe (when it wants to run) run smoothly.
“I live my life free of compromise, and step into the shadows without complaint or regret.”
Viva la Pontiac! 2009 Jet Black GT
WaveAction

Post by WaveAction »

im with her...i havent been here long and i actually brought the idea of the update..im also willing to put ideas together and help out with whatever i can..i dont know much about webpage design but im alright with photoshop and stuff
BlueCrush

Re: Moderators...We Need to Talk (VforVIBE)

Post by BlueCrush »

I'm all for seeing the home page updated and kept up to date, although there is not much I can actually do. I can offer ideas. Like where the Fireworks picture is, showcase a pic each month of the VOTM winner. It would also be nice to see some new GenVibe merchandise especially new t-shirts, hats, mouspads, etc... I know there are many people on GenVibe that are Photoshop Geniuses who could come up with some cool designs for website content and for GenVibe merchandise. Maybe an website saavy GenViber could be promoted to just update the home page content and keep it fresh.
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

(removed)! i could not stop laughing and NODDING while reading that first post! AMEN!
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
Kari

Post by Kari »

Unfortunately, these issues are not really under moderator control, and I'm not sure that most of them are really even that much under Nick's control, but rather under the control of the other admins, who are the ones in charge of all of the technical and higher up aspects of the site.
GenVibe Global Moderator
ZubenElGenubi

Re: (Kari)

Post by ZubenElGenubi »

I second (or third or fourth) VforVIBE's point. We're very proud members and are willing to put up some effort or resources to get our site up-to-date.It borders on being hypocritical to blast Pontiac & GM for their horrible support of our vehicles whilst allowing our homepage to gather cobwebs (that look a lot like fireworks).
Vibr8tr

Re: (ZubenElGenubi)

Post by Vibr8tr »

I think every one will agree with V... this site was designed and is kept up by members (seeing as most of the moderators are members too), so we should stick by this theory and have members help with things like that.Quote, originally posted by Kari »Unfortunately, these issues are not really under moderator control, .....but rather under the control of the other admins, who are the ones in charge of all of the technical and higher up aspects of the site.Thanks for the direction Kari, I guess now we just have to find the person that is in control and ask if we can help. So we can take some of the work of his (or her) shoulders. We couldn't expect the forum to run smooth with only one modereater, so why only have one admin?
MSN: jjbova@hotmail.com - Yahoo: jjbova - Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/jjbovaSee My Vibe at Cardomain.com
NaNC3

Post by NaNC3 »

I bookmarked the link that goes straight to the Latest Active Topics. I cringe when I see that fourth anniversary thing! I would think ad sponsorship would be negatively affected by the obvious out-of-date-ness and knowing that users like me (and I'm sure lots of us) bypass that page completely.
melders

Re: (AKLGT)

Post by melders »

with the conversation over on MO, i said that i would be willing to do a design if neccessary, even put it in HTML since i am a web developer, and know alot about all that. so there is plenty of help here! let us know what we need to do!!
2009 Pontiac Vibe GT - Jet Black Metallic
NSimkins
Global Moderator

Post by NSimkins »

Once the next set of updates are launched before month-end (no need to rub it in, we know), we'll query the GVC member base for additional feedback and possible contributions. I'm the main guy for overall site updates, so feel free to e-mail or IM me with any questions.As for the recent downtime, many long-time members know that this has not been the norm. We usually have pretty stellar uptime. With the recent server relocations (to a new colocation facility) and some hardware issues, that has caused our recent Forum blackouts. I know the BVerticals staff are looking into this for us.As with any Internet-related service, free or not, you cannot expect 100% uptime, period. If the Forum goes down, deal with it... go outside. I'm sure you have plenty of other things that could be done otherwise. No, we're not having growing pains, security issues, etc... these are simple hardware-related issues, nothing more. I do appreciate the concern though. That's why I love this place!
BlueCrush

Re: (NSimkins)

Post by BlueCrush »

I was going to say, normally GenVibe is relatively downtime free. Glad to hear some good info from you, Nick. Look forward to the updates.
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
melders

Re: (BlueCrush)

Post by melders »

Quote, originally posted by BlueCrush »Nick. Look forward to the updates.Same Here!
BlueCrush

Re: (melders)

Post by BlueCrush »

I was hoping to see the DST change when it came back but it's still an hour off. Oh, well it will be correct in a few weeks. lol.
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
melders

Post by melders »

Quote, originally posted by BlueCrush »I was hoping to see the DST change when it came back but it's still an hour off. Oh, well it will be correct in a few weeks. lol.lol...same with everything else that didn't change. see if this world was a mac world, we wouldn't have that problem!
NSimkins
Global Moderator

Post by NSimkins »

Quote, originally posted by BlueCrush »I was hoping to see the DST change when it came back but it's still an hour off. Oh, well it will be correct in a few weeks. lol.You can always click a few times in your Profile and manually adjust to another time zone if it's that bad. For the amount of time people spend here a day, adding a couple seconds and clicks to your day shouldn't be too much to ask right now.
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

Quote, originally posted by NSimkins »You can always click a few times in your Profile and manually adjust to another time zone if it's that bad. For the amount of time people spend here a day, adding a couple seconds and clicks to your day shouldn't be too much to ask right now. Sorry, I mentioned it.
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

genivbe still has a good uptime record compared to other sites in the community, but we do miss it when it's resting.my 2 ¢ This isn't a criticism of the non-forum content, perhaps more of a general design request, without any judgement inferred on if it already is or isn't met by the current non-forum content.Make sure that the front page has a very obvious link to the the forums. I didn't participate in many internet forums until I got the Vibe and found this site. Luckily, the google search that led me here was to a forum thread. There are a lof of sites out there that almost hide their link to teir forums, making it hard to find even if you know they are there.Not all of the potential members are internet savvy, and their first encounter with genvibe may be the main page and the various feature articles. I think it best if they register and become active forum members. The forums are the best, most highly valuable content this site has to offer, and it is only that because of the members who register and post. Steer them here to the forums.
NSimkins
Global Moderator

Re: (joatmon)

Post by NSimkins »

Quote, originally posted by joatmon »Make sure that the front page has a very obvious link to the the forums. I didn't participate in many internet forums until I got the Vibe and found this site. Luckily, the google search that led me here was to a forum thread. There are a lof of sites out there that almost hide their link to teir forums, making it hard to find even if you know they are there.This is exactly something that will be emphasized on the update. With the focus being the Forums, we'll definitely have it visually noticable to draw people in from the home page.
NSimkins
Global Moderator

Post by NSimkins »

Quote, originally posted by BlueCrush »Sorry, I mentioned it. Don't take it personal. I did smile at the end of my comment:Quote, originally posted by NSimkins »
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

Quote, originally posted by NSimkins »Don't take it personal. I did smile at the end of my comment:No, worries. I was expecting something like, "we checked into it and are not able to take care of it at this time" instead of a lengthened version of "deal with it". lol. Just took me off guard that's all. haha.
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
NSimkins
Global Moderator

Post by NSimkins »

Quote, originally posted by BlueCrush »No, worries. I was expecting something like, "we checked into it and are not able to take care of it at this time" instead of a lengthened version of "deal with it". lol. Just took me off guard that's all. haha.I forgot to directly mention that it's being looked into. I apparently forgot to convey that in my post. Sorry.
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

Quote, originally posted by NSimkins »Once the next set of updates are launched before month-end (no need to rub it in, we know), we'll query the GVC member base for additional feedback and possible contributions. I'm the main guy for overall site updates, so feel free to e-mail or IM me with any questions.And now that it's the end of the month, any word on site updates/changes???
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
NSimkins
Global Moderator

Post by NSimkins »

Quote, originally posted by BlueCrush »And now that it's the end of the month, any word on site updates/changes??? I was hoping on updates for tomorrow but my publishing tool to make content "live" on the site hasn't worked since the data center move. I have it being looked into now, so once that is fixed I can publish the updates.
joholste

Post by joholste »

care to share some insights on some of the changes? or do we have to wait for the big surprise
2003 Chevy Silverado Ext. Cab, Z71Formerly2003 Base Vibe (Frosty)
NSimkins
Global Moderator

Re: (joholste)

Post by NSimkins »

Quote, originally posted by joholste »care to share some insights on some of the changes? or do we have to wait for the big surprise No big surprises, just some much needed refresh of content and areas that have been neglected will be updated. Edit: the publish tool now works so expect the updates to roll during the whole week!
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

Yay! The home page pic has changed!!! Woohoo!!!! Thanks, Nick!
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
NSimkins
Global Moderator

Post by NSimkins »

The site header and footer have been updated with new links/images. The Gallery requires a manual update so I am waiting for that to be updated (I can't do that). You may need to reload (or SHIFT+RELOAD) the pages to force your browser to obtain the new code/images. Clearing your browser's cache will also work.I'll keep this thread updated as I progress throughout the week.Also, keep an eye out for a new "What's New?" page that will be updated describing any changes that have occurred on the site and/or forums.
NSimkins
Global Moderator

Post by NSimkins »

Quote, originally posted by BlueCrush »Yay! The home page pic has changed!!! Woohoo!!!! Thanks, Nick! Version 2 of the home page image now live. I think I like it better.
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

i like the new "streamlined" look of the nav bar at the top of the page.
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
3.6L V6 (256 HP @ 6300 rpm, 248 ft-lbs. @ 2100 rpm)
BlueCrush

Re: (ragingfish)

Post by BlueCrush »

Quote, originally posted by ragingfish »i like the new "streamlined" look of the nav bar at the top of the page.Me too!
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
joholste

Post by joholste »

yeah we're getting some changess whooo hooo. keep em coming
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

Cool! I see you added new pics to the VOTM Gallery last month, but the home page still is showing the winner from last June. SavedbyZero's Vibe should be on the Home Page VOTM pic..
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
NSimkins
Global Moderator

Post by NSimkins »

Quote, originally posted by BlueCrush »Cool! I see you added new pics to the VOTM Gallery last month, but the home page still is showing the winner from last June. SavedbyZero's Vibe should be on the Home Page VOTM pic..All in due time. Lack of 2008 Vibe coverage is putting a slight damper on things, but I'm steadily continuing to update.
joholste

Post by joholste »

Quote, originally posted by NSimkins »All in due time. Lack of 2008 Vibe coverage is putting a slight damper on things, but I'm steadily continuing to update.We still have need of updates to the VOTM gallery...and how about a MOTM gallery as well?? could that be done??
ArcsVibe

Re: (joholste)

Post by ArcsVibe »

Quote, originally posted by joholste »We still have need of updates to the VOTM gallery..I know that Nick is still working on this.
Genvibe Global Moderator
MOTM September 06 & July 09
VOTM April 06
Neptune Vibe 2003 (7-10-2003 - 9-14-2010 vendu/sold)
Mazda3 GX 2008 (9-14-2010 - 5-09-2014 vendu/sold)
Matrix XR 2010 (5-09-2014)

ou.grizzly

Post by ou.grizzly »

Any update on upgrades?
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi