Changing dash lights color.

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
amishbuggy

Changing dash lights color.

Post by amishbuggy »

I have a '03 Vibe GT and recently changed the LED's in my instrument cluster to a nice blue color. I was able to rig up the driver door window switch with a blue LED from the instrument cluster set. All my other dash lights are still red. Does anyone know where I could get new bulbs or covers for the original bulbs to change them to blue? Also how to get to the A/C lights and possibly the converter button light?
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

Do you have a writeup on how you converted the instument cluster over? I've though about diong that as well but I read somewhere that you have to scrape off the red stuff on the cluster and wasn't sure how involved it was going to get.
April 2010 Co-MOTM * Custom LED Gauge Cluster swap * LED dome, HVAC, and shifter * Retrofit projector w/ blue halo * Kenwood KDC-HD942U * Herculined cargo area * Debadged *Wolfman's Garage
amishbuggy

Re: (Wolfman213)

Post by amishbuggy »

i got a led kit off e-bay for cheap, the hardest part is removing the old led's and cleaning off the board for new solder. it is important to put all new solder on for proper continuity. there is no scraping off red stuff, just making sure you get the right led's removed. in my case, i removed one wrong one and the instructions i had didnt tell me about one that i did have to remove. all led's look the same no matter the color, so i had to put a small charge to them to find the one green one to put back on and had to contact the people i bought the led's off of due to not enough led's in the pack and incorrect instructions. they were very easy to get along with and got extra led's free. on top of it, once the led's are installed and you go to put it all back together you have to get the needles back in the correct spot, i was luck enough to have a buddy with a program on his laptop to show me therpm and speed and all my guages while driving down the road. it too a couple trys but we got it close enough to be satisfactory for me. also if you go to do this make sure you have desoldering braid to clean off excess solder well enough, a type of rubbing alcohol to clean off the board at the end and i used .022 dia rosin-core silver bearing solder. you could also get a solder sucker, i was able to find everything but the alcohol at radio shack.. the alcohol cam be gotten from walmart.
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

Do you have any pics of this mod?
April 2010 Co-MOTM * Custom LED Gauge Cluster swap * LED dome, HVAC, and shifter * Retrofit projector w/ blue halo * Kenwood KDC-HD942U * Herculined cargo area * Debadged *Wolfman's Garage
amishbuggy

Post by amishbuggy »

i just took some a moment ago but not sure how to post them, but here's the best pic i could attach

Attached files
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

Def good enough for me!! I'm going to be looking into that very soon. I may look to you for some answers. I think you are the only one that has done this so far.
GoodVibErations2004

Re: (amishbuggy)

Post by GoodVibErations2004 »

Holy COW that looks awesome! Im freakin jealous!
GoodVibErations2004 2004 Neptune AWD ^^^^^^^^^^^My Genvibe Garage^^^^^^^^^^^
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

Yeah I know. I've seen it on ebay for a while now, but just figured that they may have doctored the photo's, but now seen a genviber with it done, I'm sold on it and can't wait to do it to mine.
Baltovibe

Re: Changing dash lights color (Wolfman213)

Post by Baltovibe »

There might be an easier, less permanent and cheaper way to do it, as Kevera has tried.http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=33373

Attached files
That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse.(Romans 1:19-20)&nbspWhat do you want most in life?
bull77

Re: (GoodVibErations2004)

Post by bull77 »

Quote, originally posted by GoodVibErations2004 »Holy COW that looks awesome! Im freakin jealous!+1 well done
GoodVibErations2004

Post by GoodVibErations2004 »

OOOOHHHHH i like the cheater method. thats one I could do. and maybe will do tomorrow!
GoodVibErations2004 2004 Neptune AWD ^^^^^^^^^^^My Genvibe Garage^^^^^^^^^^^
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

hmm... I dig Kevara's way too. Which to choose from, which to choose from????
amishbuggy

Post by amishbuggy »

with my cluster the lights themselves were red. so the scraping off red was impossible and only way was to change the led's. so it all matters on what cluster you have in the first place. just lemme know if you need any advice Also, here's the pic of the window switch that i changed to blue too

Attached files
Amtron

Re: Changing dash lights color. (amishbuggy)

Post by Amtron »

That's awesome! Looks really good!
lovemyraffe

Post by lovemyraffe »

I changed my instrument panel lighting a while ago. Did it in blue, but found it difficult to see during the day so I changed it back to stock. http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=33411
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
Wolfman213

Re: (lovemyraffe)

Post by Wolfman213 »

Do you think that if you would have used the LED's opposed to the blue vinyl that it would have been easier to see duing the day?
lovemyraffe

Post by lovemyraffe »

Quote, originally posted by Wolfman213 »Do you think that if you would have used the LED's opposed to the blue vinyl that it would have been easier to see duing the day?I don't know. I don't think it would make much of a difference, but I haven't seen it in person with LED's. You also have to look at cost. It cost me about $1.50 for the vinyl. I don't know how much $$ and time it takes to work with the LED's.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

Good point. The ones on ebay, last time I checked, are only $16. Granted that is more expensive, but my dad being an electrician for over 30 yrs can do some soldering like no other so if I do go the LED route, I know that it will get done right the first time!!
amishbuggy

Post by amishbuggy »

i changed the led's in mine on my own. first time doing that ever. it was a challenge but it got done and all worked perfectly in the end as you could see. as long as all the parts are there it could be done in a day and back on, the tricky part is getting the needles back in the same spot so your tach, speedo and fuel arent too far off. i found the blue led's easier to see in the daytime, much brighter. i turn them down during the night cause their plenty bright. also, really.. if you want it that bad $20 isnt that much to pay to get them changed over and look this great. I'm definately satisfied with my results
Jasevybez

Re: Changing dash lights color.

Post by Jasevybez »

Look amazing I want to do mone into blue does it matter on the type of led I by if so i's there any you can recommend me.on through a link?