Turbocharging the 2009 vibe?

Supercharger, turbo, nitrous, and anything that has to do with forced induction
Faultline

Turbocharging the 2009 vibe?

Post by Faultline »

When Toyota made the 2zz motor, one of the objectives was to engineer a 1.8 liter motor with the power output of a 2.4 motor. They built a great motor, but it is not the easiest to turbocharge because of the highcompression pistons. And eventhough the stock 2zz motor puts out 180 hp, it still lacks lowend torque. Now here we are with this large 2.4 four cylinder motor that has vvt-i, great torque , and easy to turbo motor. I am jealous with the motor size. Scion TC forums are boasting a lot of cars with this same Camry motor (that is in the new vibe) making around 300whp turbocharged. I would love to do it but ......and you know I would..but I still love my car right now, and ...I dunno about buying a new Vibe,,,but then I am so enticed.....Is there anyone on this board with a 2009 Vibe that is planning on going turbo??? Come on!
pics 10/2/05 http://photobucket.com/albums/a386/Faultline05/2003 Base Vibe, frosty color,moon n' tunes packagemods: Eibach sportline lowering springs,17"centerline forged wheels -silver excels -Goodyear Eagle F1 tires 225/50/17's-ACT HD clutch,2.5" exhaust,ES motormount inserts,up graded to 6 spd transmissionStafford Fabrication turbo kit: Garrett T3 turbo, FMIC ,SF BOV. ,Alcohol/water injection,and SF centerfeed fuel rail
NibCrom

Re: Turbocharging the 2009 vibe? (Faultline)

Post by NibCrom »

If you really wanted a turbo four-cylinder, I'd recommend buying one from the factory (like a Cobalt SS) instead of modding a car.
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

the scion tC has that same engine and there is a turbo kit for it. I have not seen one made specifically for the matrix/vibe but im sure its easier than a home made kit. Biggest issue is header/manifold and tuning. Your best bet is to check matrixowners.com (they are more into modding than gv) and wait for a kit to be made.
Faultline

Re: Turbocharging the 2009 vibe? (NibCrom)

Post by Faultline »

Quote, originally posted by NibCrom »If you really wanted a turbo four-cylinder, I'd recommend buying one from the factory (like a Cobalt SS) instead of modding a car.Booooo!! where is the novelty? where is the fun? what about adventure? or risk?Besides everybody I know with a factory turboed car is modding it too. Sometimes it is bigger IC, or bigger turbo, or something....A factory turbo car , unfortunately, would not cure my disease...There is always more power to gain ....it's fun.
pics 10/2/05 http://photobucket.com/albums/a386/Faultline05/2003 Base Vibe, frosty color,moon n' tunes packagemods: Eibach sportline lowering springs,17"centerline forged wheels -silver excels -Goodyear Eagle F1 tires 225/50/17's-ACT HD clutch,2.5" exhaust,ES motormount inserts,up graded to 6 spd transmissionStafford Fabrication turbo kit: Garrett T3 turbo, FMIC ,SF BOV. ,Alcohol/water injection,and SF centerfeed fuel rail
Faultline

Re: (northvibe)

Post by Faultline »

Quote, originally posted by northvibe »the scion tC has that same engine and there is a turbo kit for it. I have not seen one made specifically for the matrix/vibe but im sure its easier than a home made kit. Biggest issue is header/manifold and tuning. Your best bet is to check matrixowners.com (they are more into modding than gv) and wait for a kit to be made. Yeah, I will. As for me, with what I have learned, I dont need to go thru astronaut school to get on the rocketship again. I mean, I dont need a kit, I would rather have one made the way i want. For example, most kit turbo manifolds that I have seen are not as beefy as I would like, so why buy a kit one that may crack?I know how to make a boost controller for five dollars, or a water injection kit for ten. I know how to run a rich mixture in the fuel and not retard the timing and make good power on stock injectors without a piggyback, or stand alone fuel computer , and larger injectors. ( dont get me wrong, I have some of that stuff now, but I know how to make it work without)Its just stuff I learned from the guy who installed my turbo set up, andHe did not learn his stuff from magazines, or from people who are selling turbo products. I have been driving my turbo vibe for too long to feel differently.
Raven

Post by Raven »

Quote, originally posted by NibCrom »If you really wanted a turbo four-cylinder, I'd recommend buying one from the factory (like a Cobalt SS) instead of modding a car.The Cobalt SS is supercharged not turbo.
NibCrom

Re: Turbocharging the 2009 vibe? (Raven)

Post by NibCrom »

Quote, originally posted by Raven »The Cobalt SS is supercharged not turbo. The new one is turbocharged.http://www.caranddriver.com/re....html
Raven

Post by Raven »

Quote, originally posted by NibCrom »The new one is turbo[QUOTE=NibCrom]The new one is turbocharged.http://www.caranddriver.com/re....html[/QUOTE]You're so right. 260HP Turbo MMMMMM!That's 15 more than my SVX in a lighter car too.
NibCrom

Post by NibCrom »

Quote, originally posted by Faultline »Booooo!! where is the novelty? where is the fun? what about adventure? or risk?Besides everybody I know with a factory turboed car is modding it too. Sometimes it is bigger IC, or bigger turbo, or something....A factory turbo car , unfortunately, would not cure my disease...There is always more power to gain ....it's fun. I think the best thing about buying say the Cobalt SS from the factory is that not only do you start with a good engine, but the suspension and the brakes are up to par with the engine.But if you're addicted to mods, that's fine too.
Faultline

Post by Faultline »

Quote, originally posted by NibCrom »I think the best thing about buying say the Cobalt SS from the factory is that not only do you start with a good engine, but the suspension and the brakes are up to par with the engine.But if you're addicted to mods, that's fine too. Yeah, that is a point well taken. You could add to the list RWD, or at least a FWD with a 'limited slip differential'And wider tires. Do you happen to know if the' turbo cobalt' is going to have the same turbo motor as the Pontiac Solstice??
NibCrom

Post by NibCrom »

Yup, the Cobalt SS Turbo has the same 2.0L direct injection engine with VVT as the Pontiac Solstice GXP, Saturn Sky Redline the HHR SS as well. LSD is a $495 option I believe.
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

heck yes I made sure my SS came with a LSD! :D There is nothing like the reliability of a factory FI car. I dont have the time or space to work on my car more than a oil change and rotate the tires. so it works perfect.
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

yes, we decided to start with a factory FI car and then go from there. the only turbo'd NEW car I'd probably leave alone (for the most part) is a new GTR.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
tunertype

Re: (AKLGT)

Post by tunertype »

Factory turbo is much easier to modify and get big HP. Instead of dropping in headers downpipe intercooler, turbo, pistons and ecu to get an extra 50-100hp(2000+$).. you can pop a high flow exhaust and a boost controller onto your factory turbo car and get an extra 50hp easy(500$). or just a new turbo and injectors and get 100hp very easy(700$). factory supercharged cars on the other hand are in the same boat as factory NA cars. the best you can hope for is to change out a pully and reflash the computer. after that it's time to rip out the supercharger and turbo or turbo on top of the supercharger.(supercharger spools up turbo to give you that low end power like a twin turbo setup). If you want something more like a vibe look into a WRX hatchback or a mazda speed3. both can be had used for around 15k.
vibedrivermatt

Re: (tunertype)

Post by vibedrivermatt »

well sure from a practical standpoint you could easily afford an older more sporty car for the price on a 2009 vibe but putting practicality aside, I think somebody should make do a Turbo 2AZ-FE vibe. Put a limited slip on there too and a performance cluctch. Theres a lot of aftermarket scion engine parts out by now that might work on the vibes engine. I even saw some hardened steel crankshafts.
jerryn

Post by jerryn »

How about dropping in a TRD supercharger? It's self contained so it does not need to be lubricated with engine oil.
jerryn

Re: (tunertype)

Post by jerryn »

My 2001 turbo beetle was like that. You could chip it I must have replace the blow off valves 5 times while I owned that car. the first time was at the dealer, after that I did it myself.. I got many bloody knuckles replacing that. I traded it after I had a vivid dream of rolling the car.It was fast, but suffered from terrible torque steer. Punch the accelerator, rev to 4300k rpms.. let out the clutch and you have no idea of what wheel is gonna grab first!!!!! sometimes the right, sometimes the left..
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

I'm still hoping someone in any year Vibe would try out a STS Turbo!!
April 2010 Co-MOTM * Custom LED Gauge Cluster swap * LED dome, HVAC, and shifter * Retrofit projector w/ blue halo * Kenwood KDC-HD942U * Herculined cargo area * Debadged *Wolfman's Garage
Faultline

Re: (Wolfman213)

Post by Faultline »

Quote, originally posted by Wolfman213 »I'm still hoping someone in any year Vibe would try out a STS Turbo!!I think that a Matrix owner did a couple of years ago.
mikellini

Re: (Faultline)

Post by mikellini »

I think I might go with the TRD supercharger in a year or two. Adds about 75 horsepower in a couple of hours and wouldn't be too much for the stock internals and 5 speed auto. Would be nice to have limited slip though
northvibe

Re: (mikellini)

Post by northvibe »

Quote, originally posted by mikellini »I think I might go with the TRD supercharger in a year or two. Adds about 75 horsepower in a couple of hours and wouldn't be too much for the stock internals and 5 speed auto. Would be nice to have limited slip thoughwhat year vibe? the old 1zz trd SC's are getting insane hard to find. and all are used now. I havent heard or seen someone take a TRD tC supercharger and put it on though...which I still find odd.
mikellini

Post by mikellini »

I've got the 2009 2.4 2AZ-FE, I believe those are going to be available new for quite some time as it's a very common performance engine. Not sure on the price though...
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

the scion tC one yes..but they charge an insane amount new. And again I've never seen one put on a vibe/trix...which I'm not sure why... Although someone procharged a ion and the problem is the belt slips when you make too much power...or maybe he didnt have the right belt as vettes do it fine.
mikellini

Post by mikellini »

I really don't know, I mean for what this car is for, it doesn't need a buttload of power. Intake and exhaust can add another 15 hp, correct? Without spending a bunch on FI, are there any other mods that could bring it up to about 200 HP?
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

well you can always do cams, tune, intake, exhaust headers and full exhaust back. Nitrous but that imo doesnt count. Tuning imo would net you the most power. Oh well theres also making your car lighter, which is what I'm doing to my car. And under drive or lightweight pullies but those can ruin a engine. Like on the 2zz, they had issues with harmonic balance and blowing a oil pump.
CoryW

Post by CoryW »

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ebaymotors/...19366Looks too good to be true.1100 for the whole kit. the turbo should be woth more then that alone
tunertype

Post by tunertype »

Quote, originally posted by NibCrom »If you really wanted a turbo four-cylinder, I'd recommend buying one from the factory (like a Cobalt SS) instead of modding a car.Hmm.. wouldn't buy a cobalt gm econobox.. blah.. Maybe a WRX, a jetta/golf turbo, or a saab. Not a cobalt.. ick.. turbo cars are easier to modify and get lots more F/I hp out of cause they're engineered to be turboed though. Buying a cobalt would be like buying a honda civic and calling it a sports car.. blah.. Honda has some nice cars like the NSX and the S2000, but civic.. ick.. Quote, originally posted by CoryW »http://cgi.ebay.ca/ebaymotors/...19366Looks too good to be true.1100 for the whole kit. the turbo should be woth more then that aloneThis kit is missing a few things. It'd be a good starting point for a custom turbo setup, but just the stuff in this kit will not get you anywhere, and the turbo is very low quality. You need to add a down pipe and a dump pipe custom made. You need engine management either a piggy back or a standalone unit, and you also need some bigger injectors(at lower power levels a fuel pressure regulator and a fuel pump might do the trick) to produce more power. So buy this kit and add in another 1000 in extra parts. You'll have a complete custom turbo kit that is not bolt on and needs alot of labor and modification for 2000$. If you know what your doing and are a good fabricator this can save you about 1000-2000 over buying a complete simple bolt on kit that has instructions.
BLargal

Re: Turbocharging the 2009 vibe? (tunertype)

Post by BLargal »

Not sure if I wanna turbo charge my 09 since I just got it. I'm pretty content with the speed I get out of it. I think this summer i'll get my friend to help me put in a new air filter and the such but no turbo I just don't got the money.
joshuaeb09

Re: Turbocharging the 2009 vibe? (BLargal)

Post by joshuaeb09 »

Quote, originally posted by BLargal »Not sure if I wanna turbo charge my 09 since I just got it. I'm pretty content with the speed I get out of it. I think this summer i'll get my friend to help me put in a new air filter and the such but no turbo I just don't got the money.Check out my garage now. I'm very happy with what I've gotten out of the 2.4L N/A. Plus with the unichip if I ever go boost I just have to get an additional module and I can retune for boost.
2009 Silver Vibe GT AutomaticI/H/E/Unichip @ 93octaneMy Garage : http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=43521" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Gone (Sold)
2005 Expedition Limited 2WD|4R75W 4SPD Auto|3.73 Gears|I/E|5Star Tuned@ 91|3" Lift/Level - Current Ride
B14CK_H4WK

Post by B14CK_H4WK »

VVTI has been good to me and im sure you can all say the same. there's no fun in buying a car already turboed and plus its all about being unique, how many ppl are going to have a turbo vibe?
mac99d

Re: (B14CK_H4WK)

Post by mac99d »

Who is turbo? And supercharged? Do we have a list for this I know faultline, keithvibe, and I are turbo. Who else? Queue in the really smart computer guy that can whip up lists like a mad man.
Mac's Vibe.
My garage viewtopic.php?f=30&t=37677" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mariachi

Post by Mariachi »

I saw this car in a magazine. Can't remember which one but its a turbo'd Matrix.