P0741=Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Performance or Stuck Off

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
aspuccini

P0741=Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Performance or Stuck Off

Post by aspuccini »

My check engine light came on for the first time, 91,150 miles. I got the code read at autozone it said P0741- Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Performance or Stuck Off. I haven't had any performance issues. No shifting problems etc. I reset light came on 20 min. later. Does anybody have an idea?
impalamike3800

Re: P0741=Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Performance or Stuck Off (aspuccini)

Post by impalamike3800 »

any modifications done to the vehicle? how hard do you drive it?
aspuccini

Re: P0741=Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Performance or Stuck Off (impalamike3800)

Post by aspuccini »

No modifications. Don't drive too hard. Daily Driver. I have not had any problems, hear nothing from the engine or tranny, shifts fine RPM good, good gas mileage etc.. Could it be a sensor that is bad? Or the Solenoid it self? I know I hit a large bump...I mean it jerked me hard, about 1/2 mile before the initial CEL.
impalamike3800

Post by impalamike3800 »

you may have jarred something loose under there. take a look at the trans solinoid and see if the plug is completly on.
aspuccini

Re: P0741=Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Performance or Stuck Off (impalamike3800)

Post by aspuccini »

Thanks man that is what is was. I actually spent the $25 and went to an transmission shop to have them tell me this. He said he has only rebuilt one vibe auto transmission. They rarely have problems etc.
impalamike3800

Post by impalamike3800 »

glad to hear. now toss in a high stall and some gears ;-)
vivacelife

Re: (impalamike3800)

Post by vivacelife »

I have the same problem too! I don't know what caused it but I drove over a huge pothole the other day and took my car to a new place to get the oil change. About a day after that, the "check" light came on on my dashboard (I drive an '05 Corolla). Nothing seems to be malfunctioning other than the light.I took my car to Pepboys and spent 20 bucks to get the code. The code came back to be the same problem: TCC circuit performance or stuck off. They reset my light and so far it's not on.Do I need to let someone look at my car? Is it a serious problem? What do you think the problem may be?
blue_can

Re: (vivacelife)

Post by blue_can »

What it means is that the ECM cannot detect a return current from the TCC solenoid. If that's the case the TCC may not be engaging when it should. You probably won't notice the problem other than worse gas mileage.It may be simply that the connector has come loose - check the wiring to the transmission. Worst case the TCC solenoid has become faulty - it should be a straightforward repair (altough I think on the A246E you have to drop the valve body to access the solenoids - that may make it more expensive). Do the simple things first like cleaning out the connector contacts etc.
'07 Vibe
blue_can

Re: (blue_can)

Post by blue_can »

Sorry I was mistaken - since this is a performance code and not an electrical code it just means that the ECM could not detect a TCC lock condition not using the return current method. However, the reason are similar although it could be that the TCC is jammed inside the torque converter so the repair could potentially be more expensive.
'07 Vibe
tribalman

Post by tribalman »

this is my 3rd? time getting this code. first time was a long time ago, at least a year. i just cleared it and checked to see if it came up again, it didn't. about 2 weeks ago i was driving on an off ramp and there is a bump, got the code. a few days later the light went off(not 100% sure this was the same code as i couldn't find my reader). then last night i hit the same bump and the code came back on. looks like it is related to the car hitting a big bump violently. i'm going to check to see if something is loose. any other ideas on how to keep the code from popping up again?
None. Vibe is gone.
atm711

Post by atm711 »

i'm going through that exact same problem i drive a 96 cadillac deville i've been driving the car with my check engine light on for some time now and it won't pass inspection cause of that one code TCC but it pass it last year when i went to the same place where i got inspected
gmstarks

Post by gmstarks »

I have a 1998 Cadillac Deville 4.6L (which I bought at an auction, because I can not afford to buy a new car-with...car payments). Advance Auto did a diagnosis' and found the following codes: PO113, PO420, PO741. Could someone please tell me about how much each one of these items should cost me to be repaired. I have looked up the codes and have a brief description for each one, But, being a lay woman and unfamiliar with the pricing for each job, I don't want a mechanic to cheat me out of the little bit of money that I do have. Thanks for all your help.G
keithvibe

Re: (gmstarks)

Post by keithvibe »

you would be better off asking herehttp://www.cadillacforums.com/Cadilacs are too expensive to repair, which is why we all have pontiac vibe's
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
gmstarks

Re: (keithvibe)

Post by gmstarks »

Thanks for your help.G
juliant18

Re: P0741=Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Performance or Stuck Off

Post by juliant18 »

Hey can anyone tell me if a shot torque converter is a tranny rebuild and if so how much is it
lannvouivre

Re: P0741=Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Performance or Stuck Off

Post by lannvouivre »

This is a code for a circuitry problem, not an actual transmission problem. It depends what damage has been done to the electronics and where the damage is.

Rebuilding the transmission is very expensive. Unless you're a technician and can do all the labor yourself, you're better just getting a replacement used transmission, although as I said this issue is electronic rather than mechanical.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit