A heads up about the tires on your car

Post by SeattleJeremy »

watch this all the way through...It may save some ones life!ABC News
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
Vibe_dude

Post by Vibe_dude »

Wow is all I can say......I did not know how to read that on a tire..good find.I just bought 12 new tires for my vibe and accord...2 sets of summer and 1 set of winters.I will have to check em and see.
LOVE THAT VIBE 2003 Satilite Silver auto.......188,000kms.2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer White 4.2 Inline 6 291hp auto.........156,000kms.
Kamikaze

Re: (Vibe_dude)

Post by Kamikaze »

Can anyone tell me what it says? I'm pretty good at reading lips, but w/o sound, I know it has to do with those one #'s, how do you tell how old the tire is? I'll have to find this again when I can hear it... I'm really interested to hear what this vid says. Plus, whatever I can learn about tires I take to heart.
August 2009 VOTM Click HERE for my Garage
moongdss

Re: (Kamikaze)

Post by moongdss »

It tells you how to read the manufacture date code on the tire, and that a lot of tires out there are being sold as new and safe, but are more than 4 years old on the shelf.I can believe that the peons at the store level of Sears and Walmart don't know about this, but Goodyear?? That one's bad, I mean they MAKE tires as well as sell them. Just a point of reference, Chris has worked in the parts industry for nearly 20 years, including at Pep Boys (which sold tires) and he has never heard of this before that story. So this tells me that your corporates may know, but aren't including that bit of info in their manager training seminars.
Pandora the 2006 Pontiac Salsa Vibe, 17"wheelsMods: tint, "Pandora" windshield decal, front badge skull overlay, rainguards, hoodguard, Projectorz headlite covers, black painted grills, FIAMM dual-tone horns, black grafxwerks overlays, redouts, Genvibe decals, splashguards, scangaugeII, 12v console outlet, DRL interrupt and I turned off that @#$% seat-belt beep! upcoming: red interior LEDs
crazytrain

Re: (Kamikaze)

Post by crazytrain »

Kamikaze, the numbers reveal the week and year the tire was made. For instance, 419 would mean the 41st week of 1999. 3202 would mean the 32nd week of 2002. Also, they showed that the number is usually on the inside of the tire. That's when the reporter crawls under a car with a flashlight.They were saying that tires more than 6 years old should not be sold.
2006 Stealth Vibe <-- Current
2010 Subaru Forester <-- Wife's Current
I miss my 1992 Saturn SC2 - drove it for 12 years
bull77

Re: (moongdss)

Post by bull77 »

Quote, originally posted by moongdss »It tells you how to read the manufacture date code on the tire, and that a lot of tires out there are being sold as new and safe, but are more than 4 years old on the shelf. just to add to this --- it's the last set of numbers after the DOTexample:4302 (tire was manufactured in the 43rd week of 2002)
Kamikaze

Re: (bull77)

Post by Kamikaze »

Thank you everyone! I've been working PT at a gas station that also sells tires... I figured they have some kind of date on the tires, but I never really bothered to ask, mainly b/c I would have assumed that we are getting up to date tires (basically we order the tires when they need them) since we are a small shop, we don't have many tires on hand... I'll have to check on some of the tires we have to see when they were produced. Thanks again for letting me know the code!
August 2009 VOTM Click HERE for my Garage
VforVIBE

Re: (bull77)

Post by VforVIBE »

wow, oh the things we don't know mine say 2008... WAho!!!
“I live my life free of compromise, and step into the shadows without complaint or regret.”
Viva la Pontiac! 2009 Jet Black GT
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

link no worky
KNINE

Re: (northvibe)

Post by KNINE »

Try mine that I posted last week.http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=33918
"Don't look to the government to solve your problems, the government is the problem." Ronald Reagan"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin.
Toasted7

Re: (northvibe)

Post by Toasted7 »

Link errors out at work... will check when I get home.
VMFIC of Cincinnati Scikotics Cincinnati Scikotics sponsored by: KerryScion.com My other ride is your mom
BlueCrush

Re: (K-NINE)

Post by BlueCrush »

Quote, originally posted by K-NINE »Try mine that I posted last week.http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=33918Yup. Repost.
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
zionzr2

Post by zionzr2 »

I would check your tires even if they are OEM!As I mentioned in the other tire age check tread I have had these issues in the past.Had I known about the age thing back then I probably would not have gone truogh so many problems with that vehilce.
ToolGuy

Re: A heads up about the tires on your car (Jeremy96gase)

Post by ToolGuy »

(removed)! I had no idea and learned something today! Going to check all my cars tires today for their ages...
asburydan

Re: A heads up about the tires on your car (Jeremy96gase)

Post by asburydan »

Thanks so much for posting this link. Very helpful.
asburydan - moved from Vibe to 5th Mustang.
SeattleJeremy

Re: (BlueCrush)

Post by SeattleJeremy »

Quote, originally posted by K-NINE »Try mine that I posted last week.http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=33918Opps, I didn't do a search
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
Mojo72

Re: (Jeremy96gase)

Post by Mojo72 »

Thanks for the great info re/ tire age! I had not seen that ABC News story or heard about it until today. I'm going to check the "born on" codes of both of my vehicles today.
2004 1.8L (1ZZ-FE) Vibe (Lava Red)16" Michelin Destiny tires