Vibe Handling in Snow

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
Katahdin

Vibe Handling in Snow

Post by Katahdin »

How do the Pontiac Vibes handle in snow conditions? We get a llot of snow here in maine and traction and handling in snow, ice and slush conditions is a big issue. Still hedging on buying one..........
WaveAction

Post by WaveAction »

they're pretty good in the snow...i have the stock goodyear RS-a's and didnt have that much of a problem.. i know im buying winter tires for sure but they do handle pretty well
Raven

Re: Vibe Handling in Snow (Katahdin)

Post by Raven »

SNOW!!! It's 87°F. If you're worried get a Vibe AWD. Our front drive Vibe works fine here and we got 15 feet of snow last winter plus it's lowered 2 inches. Get real snow tires though for the winter not no seasons.
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

Whatever you do, get snow tires... It's easily the BEST thing you can do for your car and you in snow areas...
dianebrat

Post by dianebrat »

my Vibe AWD is awesome in the snow... not as good as a 4x4, but a lot better then 80% of the non-subarus out thereDiane
last of the '06 AWDslava red monotone, preferred, sport, and side airbags
wyatt89

Post by wyatt89 »

mine sucked in snow, i swear had one wheel spinning every time i had to start moving again at a stoplight, lateral grip wasn't bad though!
'04 lava GTSRI, Progress rear sway bar, Infinity reference backs, components in the front, Infinity Kappa 124.7w sub, Alphasonik 600rms@2ohms for the sub, alpine head unit, worst paint ever!
kunkstyle

Re: (wyatt89)

Post by kunkstyle »

I've had great handling with mine. Although it's an AWD with winter tires...
Kunkstyle's Garage:2006 AWD Pontiac VibeInfinity/Rockford/Kenwood Audio, CAI, Cupholder LED's, Keyless Entry Mod2000 Porsche 911 C2Kenwood Audio, Ultimate Cupholders, DRL's, 0-60 in 4.9 seconds.
redlava

Re: (kunkstyle)

Post by redlava »

My base handles fairly well. I've never had any issues with not being able to drive around if I need too. It just depends on what type of tires you have and how much snow is on the ground. Very few cars will handle well in 6-8 inches of snow, so if you're wanting to drive through a blizzard at 60 mph with impunity, then the Vibe is not for you. If you want to be able to get to work if the roads have a few inches of snow on them and the work crews haven't been out yet, then it will be fine. Just make sure you have some good tires on.
rated_w

Post by rated_w »

Nothing can outhandle a Ford Crown Vic in snow.......I'm just kidding .. those things are a disaster.. Both my personal vehicles (04 vibe, and 04 TSX) are great in snow, although the TSX will no longer be seeing winter thank god.... I do have performance snow tires that'll be slapped on to the vibrator when winter comes along :D
// Pølkå®øø - 2001 Toyota Corolla LEGuess what's new for 2006 - in the works.
sloth

Re: (rated_w)

Post by sloth »

With snow tires they are great. I use the blizzaks and they've worked great for 5 seasons now. We had snow on the ground this year from Thanksgiving to the end of February and didn't have any problems driving by the wreckers that were pulling people out of the ditch.
pick41

Re: (sloth)

Post by pick41 »

Quote, originally posted by sloth »With snow tires they are great. I use the blizzaks and they've worked great for 5 seasons now. We had snow on the ground this year from Thanksgiving to the end of February and didn't have any problems driving by the wreckers that were pulling people out of the ditch.Great news. this was the reason I held out for so long for an AWD!
Pick2004 AT, AWD, Moon & Tune2006 - Mazda5 Touring1998 CBR 900RR RIP 10/97-8/08
BlueCrush

Re: (pick41)

Post by BlueCrush »

Nothing beats an AWD with snow tires, unless you are an idiot driver in the snow, then that'll beat it. Also: The AWD models sit 1/2"-1" higher than the fwd models. High Rider, FTW!!
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
pick41

Re: (BlueCrush)

Post by pick41 »

Now just have to start saving up for some Snows! Because I don't think the 285/75/16 BFGs in the shed will work.
Pick2004 AT, AWD, Moon & Tune2006 - Mazda5 Touring1998 CBR 900RR RIP 10/97-8/08
Daox

Post by Daox »

The Matrix handles pretty darn good in the snow even with shoddy all seasons. Last year I put on General snow tires (forgot the model) and they greatly improved handling. I'd highly recommend them.
Matrix MPG Build Thread
starmatt

Post by starmatt »

My awd '04 vibe did great in the snow with studded snow tires (in VT & NH) and it was a pretty rough winter in terms of driving conditions. One of my coworkers has a fwd vibe and said it was a little shifty in the snow and wouldn't put anything less than studded snow tires on it in the winter.
Sublimewind

Re: (starmatt)

Post by Sublimewind »

Quote, originally posted by starmatt »My awd '04 vibe did great in the snow with studded snow tires (in VT & NH) and it was a pretty rough winter in terms of driving conditions. One of my coworkers has a fwd vibe and said it was a little shifty in the snow and wouldn't put anything less than studded snow tires on it in the winter.Yeah, Studded snow would be great, but only a handfull of states allow it... I used to live in both Burlington and Winooski when I lived in VT, and while I didn't have studded snows, I DID have a Subaru... same difference.. lol... My FWD Vibe did "ok" with snows, I put 100lbs of corn in the back and that helped quite a bit, keeping the 'twitchy" rear end in place decently..
Mavrik

Re: (Sublimewind)

Post by Mavrik »

I made it through 2 winters in alaska with studless winter tires on my FWD Vibe before I sold it for a subaru lol
2007 stage 2 Satin White Pearl Subaru STi 2008 stage 2 Subaru STi hatch See my car at: Mavrik's car page
ramenboy...

Post by ramenboy... »

my o4 base is lowered, and this year i was too lazy to change out my tires. handled fine. plus i've got my handy voilé avalanche shovel just in case
de-badged o4 vibe
tein s-techs | 17" msr 105 wheels | 235 45 17 nexen n7000
weapon-r short ram (thanx BC!) | typeR sport pedals | LED 3rd brake
o2 triumph speed four