static electricity

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
gr8vibe

static electricity

Post by gr8vibe »

sooo...i notice that everytime i normally get in my car, drive, park, open my door, then proceed to close it, the SECOND i touch the exterior of the car, it ALWAYS shocks me. seems like its a build up of static but i dont know from where or why or what.What could be causing this? its really annoying.
2009 Honda CR-V EX Alabaster Silver------------------------------------------AIM- iRichard360------------------------------------------myspace- myspace.com/richard05
hskater26

Re: static electricity (gr8vibe)

Post by hskater26 »

stop rubbing your feet on the floor mats and moving around in your seat......haha jk i really have no idea
-2003 Base Vibe-2002 Ducati ST2
ajflan

Post by ajflan »

It happens to me all the time.
February 08' VOTM Check out my Band! http://www.facebook.com/pages/...67945
Herb

Re: (ajflan)

Post by Herb »

Ditto for me. Now I grab the frame before I put my foot on the ground to keep from getting shocked.I also notice the hairs on my right arm raise on end when it's close to the center console lid as well
Would you agree to debris acceptance? 2003 Vibe GTMods installed GM Top and Mid-Gate Spoilers, Cosmo CAI, TWM Short Shifter with Desert Eagle weighted shift knob, TWM Bronzoil Shifter Cable Bushings, Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust, Unichip, Injen Billet Aluminum Engine/Sparkplug covers and oil cap, Optima RedTop Battery, Lineage Ground Wire KitAwaiting install: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts, DC Sports Header
coldmm803

Post by coldmm803 »

yea, i got it too. also happens when i get in the car somehow, when i put the key in the ignition i will either get a shock on that or when i plug in my mp3 player to the adapter cable
sagekai

Post by sagekai »

yeah there were a few months when i got the same thing every time i touched the door getting out... just seems to have stopped on its own...
2003 Vibe Base- Silver Two-Tone, Injen CAI, Sony X-Plod Head Unit, 16" Voxx MG Rims, Tein S-Tech Lowering Springs, Painted Rear Brakes, OEM Exhaust Tip, Custom Rear Seat Back Covers MiVibe-ToolGuy's Fog Lamp Protectors, 111K Miles!
bull77

Post by bull77 »

Quote, originally posted by gr8vibe »sooo...i notice that everytime i normally get in my car, drive, park, open my door, then proceed to close it, the SECOND i touch the exterior of the car, it ALWAYS shocks me. seems like its a build up of static but i dont know from where or why or what.happens all the time to me, sometimes its a pretty big shock
Digger

Re: static electricity (bull77)

Post by Digger »

That is how people blow themselves up at gas stations also. it is not the cell phones it is getting back into your car while pumping gas. get out ....poooof.
2005 AWD What's your story?It's a wonderful thingMomma always said "Help that is not helpful, is no help at all"
VforVIBE

Re: static electricity (Digger)

Post by VforVIBE »

It only happens to me when it's cold out
“I live my life free of compromise, and step into the shadows without complaint or regret.”
Viva la Pontiac! 2009 Jet Black GT
lovemyraffe

Post by lovemyraffe »

Happens to me everytime I get out of the car.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
Renthorin

Post by Renthorin »

Those of us who have been struck by lightning scoff at your tiny sparks.......
moongdss

Post by moongdss »

it happens to me every single time, even in the middle of a rainstorm!! I thought I was just special.
Pandora the 2006 Pontiac Salsa Vibe, 17"wheelsMods: tint, "Pandora" windshield decal, front badge skull overlay, rainguards, hoodguard, Projectorz headlite covers, black painted grills, FIAMM dual-tone horns, black grafxwerks overlays, redouts, Genvibe decals, splashguards, scangaugeII, 12v console outlet, DRL interrupt and I turned off that @#$% seat-belt beep! upcoming: red interior LEDs
KNINE

Re: static electricity (moongdss)

Post by KNINE »

You are special. That's what they tell all the kids that ride the short bus.
"Don't look to the government to solve your problems, the government is the problem." Ronald Reagan"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin.
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

Quick note: That spark from the static shock is in the neiborhood of 50-80Kv... !!! Almost zero current, but LOTS of voltage right there...
WaveAction

Post by WaveAction »

i never get shocked when i come out of the car
hskater26

Post by hskater26 »

Quote, originally posted by Digger »That is how people blow themselves up at gas stations also. it is not the cell phones it is getting back into your car while pumping gas. get out ....poooof.id be scared to pump gas if this happened to me haha
-2003 Base Vibe-2002 Ducati ST2
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

woe! that's crazy! I'm sorry to hear it.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

Quote, originally posted by Digger »That is how people blow themselves up at gas stations also. it is not the cell phones it is getting back into your car while pumping gas. get out ....poooof.Come on now, that myth was busted...
ToolGuy

Post by ToolGuy »

I think it has to do with the tires as they roll or rolled...I had a Z24 that shocked my now wife, before we got married every time. Never shocked me though! Glad it was not a deal breaker! Ironically we do not have any other cars now that do this. Seriously though, if you add those static strips, the kinds on all the pimp rides from the 1970's, it will probably stop!
Sublimewind

Re: (Renthorin)

Post by Sublimewind »

Quote, originally posted by Renthorin »Those of us who have been struck by lightning scoff at your tiny sparks.......Some of us have been struck by lightening...wow...!!!!
Sublimewind

Re: (Sublimewind)

Post by Sublimewind »

I just found the answer to all the static problems... http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/tools/9de7/
ToolGuy

Post by ToolGuy »

Sublimewind

Re: (ToolGuy)

Post by Sublimewind »

Quote, originally posted by ToolGuy »Buy these!http://www.mizter.com/LoL... I see them a lot on cars... and I have to think, does anyone here know what a Vandergraph generator is? Or in laymens terms, a static electricity generator... I know many of us got to play with one in middle/high school... Now, does anyone know that main functionality of HOW it produces static.... Well, it has a rubber belt the revolves virtically inside the "tube" at the top where the "bun" is there is a braided metal strap that rests on the belt, as the belt passes the strap, it collects the static, storing it in the "bun" like a capasitor, waiting for you to touch it... lol.... those straps look awefully close to what's inside a Vandergraph....lol... It looks like I found something that is NOT on Wikipedia.. lol...
Fatty Lumpkin

Post by Fatty Lumpkin »

Jyik40

Re: static electricity (ToolGuy)

Post by Jyik40 »

Quote, originally posted by ToolGuy »I think it has to do with the tires as they roll or rolled...Here is an article that says that silica in certain tires can lead to static buildup in a rolling car. http://www.cartalk.com/content....html
Digger

Re: static electricity (Sublimewind)

Post by Digger »

Quote, originally posted by Sublimewind »Come on now, that myth was busted... Cell phone yes static no.
2005 AWD What's your story?It's a wonderful thingMomma always said "Help that is not helpful, is no help at all"
Sublimewind

Re: (Fatty Lumpkin)

Post by Sublimewind »

Quote, originally posted by Fatty Lumpkin »http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V...ratorDOH, own3d..... I was looking at VANDERGRAPH, not Van De Graph... lol....
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

Quote, originally posted by Digger »Cell phone yes static no.You might wanna revisit that eppasode, they had a spark plug set up, with gas spraying into there little "room" they build (it might have been the gas in the sewer show) it took a LOT of vapor and the right combo of O2, to get it to light off... Vapor out in the open, like when pumping gas, difuses so fast, there really isn't a huge concern... I'll test my theroy on my way home tonight..... Ok, maybe not..
Fatty Lumpkin

Post by Fatty Lumpkin »

http://blogs.edmunds.com/Straightline/4410 This is an article with embedded video showing an actual gas station fire started by static electricity. If I remember correctly, mythbusters weren't able to reproduce it but they did talk to a safety official who said it does happen many times each year so be careful.
Digger

Post by Digger »

Yes you are right. I think it still can happen when filling gas cans though. spark jumps from small can opening to tip of the gaspump hose. At least my father in law ( fireman ) tells me it can and does happen. I remember that episode now. I thought the stadic shock was listed as plausable.
ClunkClunk

Post by ClunkClunk »

Just last night my girlfriend was complaining about static in the Vibe, and when I drove it, I got a nasty shock too. Something about the Vibe and static seems much worse than other cars I've owned.She's a nanny for two young girls, and she tells me how the three of them dread getting out of the car for fear of shocking themselves or each other. She mentioned that last week she shocked the four year old so badly when she helped her out of her car seat that the kid started crying I'm wondering if it's the seats/upholstery/plastic dash & sidepanels causing the static, as I can touch the metalwork on the car when getting out and not get shocked.
2008 Frosty two tone (and 3 other Vibes)
Water boy

Re: (ToolGuy)

Post by Water boy »

Quote, originally posted by ToolGuy »Buy these!http://www.mizter.com/Do like some of the fire trucks and EMS trucks ... hangs chains from under the frame and let them drag on the ground.
47,891 Added new horns
47,900 Yokohama Avid 205/55-16 $492.40 drive out w/TPMS rebuild kits
69,036 Added sound deadening
70,395 Battery
106,019 Yokohama YK580 205/55-16 $589.19 drive out
vibolista

Re: (Water boy)

Post by vibolista »

Someone was digging thorugh the way, way back machine tonight! Maybe the Vibe is a rolling Van de Graaff generator. Or a Car de Graaff generator.
'08 Manual, Sun&Sound, 17" Borbet Type CA wheels, 215/50 Summer Tires... 16" OE steel, 215/55 Snow Tires
tribalman

Re: (Sublimewind)

Post by tribalman »

Quote, originally posted by Sublimewind »I just found the answer to all the static problems... http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/tools/9de7/as much as i love thinkgeek, why?ohh, it tells you if you are statically charged and then grounds you.so does touching your hand to a door, or if you don't want to be shocked grab a key by the metal then touch the end point of the key to a grounded item. does the same thing. xDand actually, from the description of the item "touch the rubber tip to a grounded object". oO rubber is an insulator, how can this thing possibly work if it isolates you (negativity charged from electron buildup) from a relatively positively charged area?
None. Vibe is gone.
djkeev

Post by djkeev »

Mine does the same, I just always thought it was that PONTIAC EXCITEMENT That I've read so much about!
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)
jammies

Post by jammies »

This occurred about two miles from me.....http://www.whtm.com/news/stories/0310/713323.html...So, the potential is there for static discharge to cause a fire.
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

The potential is there, but statistically it's not common.. Nothing is 100%, so I just said the myth was busted, nothing is 100% though... lol... It takes a VERy specific vapor mixture in open air for it to become explosive.. the problem is, you can't know what that mix is correct or not, at that point of discharge.. lol
2Dogs

Post by 2Dogs »

Did any of you find something that worked? I have had my Vibe for about two weeks and I am getting shocked every day when I leave the car. The dogs (so far) seem unaffected LOL
ou.grizzly

Post by ou.grizzly »

May want to give this a tryhttp://www.amazon.com/Static-G...IRBG4
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
Houston

Re: (ou.grizzly)

Post by Houston »

That item seems to be for clothes. Would it work on car seats?I also get shocked almost every time I get out of the car and touch the door to close it. This is my first car where I can expect it to happen. Sometimes it's pretty powerful and I can certainly understand that baby crying when it happens.
2009 Base 2.4L with a few add-ons.
vibolista

Re: (Houston)

Post by vibolista »

Just for yucks and giggles, when you get out of your car at a filling station, once you have the gasoline nozzle in your hand, touch the car with the other hand, to make sure there are no potential differences. What you don't want is a spark between the nozzle and the gas filler neck on the car. This is the area where, depending on conditions, you could find the proper gasoline vapor ratios to cause ignition.Touching the car while you hold the gas nozzle should equalize any charge potential. A very dry airmass in Winter helps set conditions for static discharges. So, on a dry Winter's day, watch out!
'08 Manual, Sun&Sound, 17" Borbet Type CA wheels, 215/50 Summer Tires... 16" OE steel, 215/55 Snow Tires
BurnOnyx08

Re: (vibolista)

Post by BurnOnyx08 »

I find I don't get nearly as many shocks from my Vibe as I did from my sunfires. But instead of buying a $20 grounding strap you could get 8" of light gauge chain from a hardware store and bolt it on the frame under the car. This would effectively ground you out for 85 cents or so.