Best way to hide a radar detector?

Upholstery, floor mats, seats, window tint and anything inside the vehicle and not electronic
Mr GoLucky

Best way to hide a radar detector?

Post by Mr GoLucky »

i live in california, so radar detectors are illegal here, i know i can spend 1500 and get the sensors installed in the doors and have it hidden in the lower din of my headunit, but i don't want to do that... any suggestion on how to hide the wire? or hook it up to the battery? anyone know how to hide it and still have it work well?what's the point of having a GT if you can't drive fast? i leave it out obvious but i haven't been pulled over yet...
'03 GT
tribalman

Re: Best way to hide a radar detector? (Mr GoLucky)

Post by tribalman »

well i was looking up laws on it to see and i got this from wiki:"# Indirectly illegal: Minnesota and California (illegal to hang anything from the windshield with suction cups; however both dashboard and visor mounting is allowed.)"just don't use suction cups.also, as long as you aren't jamming, you are fine. i have the same regs on that issue. "Laser Jammers and Radar Jammers are illegal in the states of Nebraska, Minnesota, Utah, California, Oklahoma, Virginia, Colorado, Illinois and Washington DC. " from http://www.radarbusters.com/st...e.cfm
None. Vibe is gone.
ajflan

Post by ajflan »

I have mine under the passanger headrest.
February 08' VOTM Check out my Band! http://www.facebook.com/pages/...67945
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

i have min suction cupped right above the windshield wipers in the middle. A coworker has his sitting on a rubber thing on the middle front of his dash. I figure everyone has gps's suction cupped how is the cop going to notice mine? If so i just pull it down quick and throw it in my arm rest.I have the passport 9500i
Mr GoLucky

Re: (northvibe)

Post by Mr GoLucky »

well i have it sitting on my dashboard, but if you haven't driven in california before, let me give you a heads up, the CHP are douchebags! when my buddy got pulled over they took his radar detector and stomped on it right in front of us, well i still want to hide it, i think i might hook it up to the cig lighter in the mid console, i have never put anything in there, will it work if it's in there?
'03 GT
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

geez, yah thats why if i see cops near me or if i ever do get pulled over I take it down and throw it in my arm rest. when i had the vibe mine was in the cig lighter in the dash and yes if you had a long enough cord you could wire it to the console.
Mr GoLucky

Re: (northvibe)

Post by Mr GoLucky »

i have a cig lighter in the middle console, i have two
'03 GT
09Red_Se

Re: Best way to hide a radar detector?

Post by 09Red_Se »

In Ontario the OPP has radar detector detectors.Your detector is a receiver, however the circuitry has frequency generators (oscillators) that produce unique frequencies that are strong enough to be picked up by a special receiver.IE hiding it does no good. They KNOW you have one, and if you don't hand it over your can can be impounded and strip-searched.Only way around it is to have your good one hidden, and have a power switch handy to turn it off. Then hand the officer a decoy.However you may need several decoys over the course of a few months.Depending on the officer, you may not get a ticket, but you will lose a very expensive toy.So I suspect other provinces/states with a no detector law are similarily equiped.In my experience, among the false alarms from microwave towers and whatever else ,,, a lot of times you see them way before they can pick you out of the crowd. IE a sharp pair of eyes and good reaction time will save your a$$.Other times, they are around a bend, and when you get the signal they are right there - ie you are toast.You need to balance speed and the likely hood of getting caught considering the terrain.After getting nabbed last spring in the US - I waited for some speeder to pass me and followed at least a mile behind. I saved myself 2 tickets on the return trip using them as decoys.The OPP here are pretty liberal - I haven't heard of anyone getting a ticket for an actual 15 km/hr over the limit. They usually write you up for something less than you are going, and make it 15 over, which is a lesser fine.Speedos from the factory are allowed +/- 5km error. So that, and unintentional 5 km or so over at 100 posted speed isn't really speeding (10 km over) (~ 6mph). Folks who get tickets around here generally deserve one as they are going over 120..
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

I've found that the 3 detectors i've had, turned out to be "warning, you are getting a ticket" buzzers, I don't even use mine anymore... What you need is a FAST car, not one that only goes fast, but one that GETS there FAST... you can only go so fast legaly, you'll GET tickets, regardless of the detector.. I get my speed rush in 0-60.... this is no joke.. Just do us all a favor and slow down...
imspace2

Re: (Sublimewind)

Post by imspace2 »

Dude you have my dream car Scoobie, and I am actually pretty impressed with my Valentine One although it did cost me $400 US it seems to get all radar 1.5+ miles away and well it detects laser once in line of sight. I don't really believe there is a trick to beat laser but my Val saved my but a few weeks ago I heard the warning and slowed before getting over the hill the cop had 4 separate cars stopped over at the red light, lucky me
Sublimewind

Re: (imspace2)

Post by Sublimewind »

Quote, originally posted by imspace2 »Dude you have my dream car Scoobie, and I am actually pretty impressed with my Valentine One although it did cost me $400 US it seems to get all radar 1.5+ miles away and well it detects laser once in line of sight. I don't really believe there is a trick to beat laser but my Val saved my but a few weeks ago I heard the warning and slowed before getting over the hill the cop had 4 separate cars stopped over at the red light, lucky meThanks man..!!! Yeah, if I were to own a new radar detector it would be a V1, way to many accounts, just like yours about it range and accuracy, mine (the last 3) cost me less than 150$ and just sucked.. .
coldmm803

Re: Best way to hide a radar detector? (09Red_Se)

Post by coldmm803 »

Quote, originally posted by 09Red_Se »In Ontario the OPP has radar detector detectors.Your detector is a receiver, however the circuitry has frequency generators (oscillators) that produce unique frequencies that are strong enough to be picked up by a special receiver.i've heard about that. My dad was driving rigs for a little while and did a trip up to Canada and got pulled over because the company he was driving for had detector box's that would warn you when you were too close to the object in front of you (car, truck, person). But they pulled him over thinking he had a radar detector but it was the distance device and he had to explain it to them and have one of the officers walk in front of the truck and set the device off.
w8_4_me

Re: Best way to hide a radar detector? (coldmm803)

Post by w8_4_me »

What my father has done for years is put a small tissue box on the dash and put the detector sandwiched under a layer of tissues inside the tissue box. I'll have to admit..it works great!
northvibe

Re: Best way to hide a radar detector? (w8_4_me)

Post by northvibe »

Quote, originally posted by w8_4_me »What my father has done for years is put a small tissue box on the dash and put the detector sandwiched under a layer of tissues inside the tissue box. I'll have to admit..it works great! is there a hole in the box then?
w8_4_me

Re: Best way to hide a radar detector? (northvibe)

Post by w8_4_me »

Nope...It goes through your glass doesn't it?
engineertwin2

Post by engineertwin2 »

None of these methods will protect against laser.Personally, I'm not a fan of radar detectors. I mean, I get why people have them, but I just don't think they should be legal."I know I shouldn't speed and rather than not break the law, I want to make sure I don't get caught."Why do we feel it's ok to speed, but not ok to do something (admittedly extreme example) like murder? We justify it by saying speeding doesn't hurt anyone like murder, but by speeding you are putting other people at greater risk of injury/death/loss of equity.Now, I'm not trying to start an argument here or get on a podium, just stating that it's kinda funny that you know it might be illegal, you don't want to get caught, but "how do I break two laws instead of one?"As a sidenote, it is fair to point out that I actually support reducing the national speed limit to 65 mph, but I know that this post isn't going to be garnering any popularity.
2004 Vibe GT Lava Monotone, Moon & Tunes PackageMods:Homelink17" TenzoR Mach 10s, Black w/ Red grooveTintFormer Cars: '87 Subaru DL, '99 Chevy Malibu (hated it)'99 VW Passat (like it), '99 Volvo S80 T6 (wet dreams are made of it)
northvibe

Re: Best way to hide a radar detector? (w8_4_me)

Post by northvibe »

Quote, originally posted by w8_4_me »Nope...It goes through your glass doesn't it? radar will but laser wont Laser is used in MN so I cant block the front of my detector.