Brass Shifter Bushings

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
dmitri

Brass Shifter Bushings

Post by dmitri »

Well i been doing a lot of mods lately and i read about the brass shifter bushings for my 6-speed. Installation was easy, the shifter linkage is right underneath the cruise control. I don't know how, but similarly to the motor mounts i just did, this cheap mod really helps alot. It takes out any guesswork in the 6 speed on my vibe gt which was sloppy at times and I didnt know what gear i'm going into etc.Basically it gives it a much more positive feel, and you definitely know what gear youre going into. It's a much more mechanical feeling. I definitely reccomend it if you like shifting alot or race some pics of another guys bushings are at http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4287660609
drunkenmaxx

Re: Brass Shifter Bushings (dmitri)

Post by drunkenmaxx »

why would i want to see another guys bushings??? actually, i have no idea what those are.
chew aura pizza cheat main"the world in my hands, there's noone left to hear you scream, noone's there for you"
noginsk

Post by noginsk »

Hey dmitri, I haven't heard of those before either. But they sound good. I was wondering if you knew of any bushings available for the 5speed?
MattB.2004 Salsa base5 speedPower package NOW BELONGS TO EX-WIFE Looking at a new car, maybe a Scion tC or a Mazda 3 hatchback ------Give me a Vote on what you think I should get!: ----------- http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=11808
frostyGT

Re: Brass Shifter Bushings (noginsk)

Post by frostyGT »

I've been thinking of trying these out, but I wanted to get the short shifter first.Here is a link with some great info on these. Further along in the thread, installation on a Matrix is discussed.http://newcelica.org/forums/sh...18326
R.I.P. Frosty GTReplaced by 2006 Dodge Magnum R/T
Jahntassa

Post by Jahntassa »

Where'd you get 'em, and how much?
2003 Vibe GT Lava"He inched his way up the corridor as if he would rather be yarding his way down it.""For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen." - Douglas Adams...we all miss you
MJN2

Re: Brass Shifter Bushings (Jahntassa)

Post by MJN2 »

Just ordered a set from http://speed-source.net/ Was $27.89 w/tax and shipping
Two-tone Neptune GT w/17" OEM rims, Nav System, BOMZ short ram, Sabresport STB
AKLGT

Re: Brass Shifter Bushings (MJN2)

Post by AKLGT »

so it helps get rid of some of the clunky feel??? smoother shifting or what?
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
MJN2

Re: Brass Shifter Bushings (trdvibe)

Post by MJN2 »

Here's the description from the site I ordered them from:This shifter bushing kit will help to tighten the feel of your shifter by eliminating the stock rubber bushing in the shift cable. After a few years, the stock rubber and metal sleeved bushing will wear and deteriorate, making the shifter feel less precise and slowing down your shifting times! These CNC machined solid brass bushings give you back your shifter feel, and really connect you to the transmission. Installation is simple, and takes about 30 minutes
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

very cool! i may have to think about that... relatively inexpensive and if it helps w/ the shifting then that's not bad at all.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
GT_03

Re: Brass Shifter Bushings (trdvibe)

Post by GT_03 »

I like that alot, i think i'm going have to get a set.
Not a Vibe owner anymore
MJN2

Re: Brass Shifter Bushings (GT_03)

Post by MJN2 »

Well, I installed mine last night when I got home from work (only took two days to receive the parts. Probably because I'm only 3 hours or so away from speed source). Definitely took a lot of the "rubbery" feel out of the shifter. Well worth the money, in my opinion.
Kissfan79

Post by Kissfan79 »

How difficult were they to install? I looked for the bushings the last time I was under the hood the other day and they looked like they were hard to get to. It looked to me like you would have to take the driver's side tire off. BTW....how long did they take to install?Jim
Abyss Vibe GT monotoneMoon & Tunes w/6 disc changerCargo nets and mat93 Octane w/ lots o' KISS in the CD changer
MJN2

Re: Brass Shifter Bushings (Kissfan79)

Post by MJN2 »

They can be a bit of a pain to get to. Wasn't that difficult for me, because I'm 6'3" and around 155 pounds (read: Long, lanky arms lol) so I was able to reach them from both above and from below without much of a problem. The biggest pain was getting the C-clips on the new bushings. Not much room to get a pair of pliers in there. Took me about an hour or so to replace both of them. Mind you, one of the old bushings was stuck on the pin, so I had to wait a bit for the lubricant I sprayed on it to loosen it up enough to pull off.Didn't have to take the tire off. I did turn the tires all the way to the right to give myself a little more room though.
dmitri

Post by dmitri »

it took me 15 mins. u forgot to take the cruise control off the cruise control is bolted on with 2 bolts, to get to the bushings just unbolt it and move it and you'll have all the room you need.
MJN2

Post by MJN2 »

*shrug* guess I like doing things the hard way
blk182@n7

Post by blk182@n7 »

Just installed mine yesterday, very easy and quik to install, and didn't even have to remove the cruise control. I guess being and electriction on 1F-16's finally help me in a real lfe situation. . . . LOL
2003 Mono Abyss GT,Moon and Tunes17 " Sport Max 929, Eibach Pro SpringsDunlop 215 50/RZ17 tires oem, Coustic 601SE amp, 2 CF1044 10" GM Top Rear Spoiler, Optima 51R Yellow TopAEM Short intake Blue, Progress Rear Anti Roll barFlowmaster Delta Flow 60 Series, Ground wiresDenzo IK 20 5304 plugs,TRD STB Front, Brass Bushings
Nervous_Dog

Re: (blk182@n7)

Post by Nervous_Dog »

I'm definitely interested in this. Nice find!Do these come with instructions? Do you need anything besides basic hand tools?
Nervous Dog2003 Monotone Lava GT w/ M&T and PowerMods: 18" Bronze Tenzo-R Mean Six rims w/ Kumho MX12" Rockford Fosgate Punch Sub in slot ported box2 - Rockford Fosgate Punch 201S amps2 pair - Rockford Fosgate P162C in front/rear doorsSony Xplod 5710 head unitHidden Hitch
blk182@n7

Post by blk182@n7 »

just a needle nose to pull the pins thats all it took once i moved the intake
2003 Mono Abyss GT,Moon and Tunes17 " Sport Max 929, Eibach Pro SpringsDunlop 215 50/RZ17 tires oem, Coustic 601SE amp, 2 CF1044 10" GM Top Rear Spoiler, Optima 51R Yellow TopAEM Short intake Blue, Progress Rear Anti Roll barFlowmaster Delta Flow 60 Series, Ground wiresDenzo IK 20 5304 plugs,TRD STB Front, Brass Bushings
polaris1000

Re: (blk182@n7)

Post by polaris1000 »

I installed a set about 2 months ago and it is the best thing I have put on my Vibe GT so far. It really takes that rubbery feel out of the shifter. These are a must for any GT or XRS owner. It makes it alot easier to shift from 1st to 2nd without the quessing. This is what GM and Toyota should of gone with to start with, but I quess rubber is a hell of alot cheaper than brass. Not a expensive mod to put on and worth every penny!!!!!!
http://members.cardomain.com/pontiacvibegt MagnaFlow Cat-back Exhaust Injen CAI TRD Lowering Springs TRD Ground Wires TRD Strut Tower Brace Progress Rear Sway Bar E.S. Motor Mounts
Raven

Re: (polaris1000)

Post by Raven »

Well, I was sceptical but figured what the hell it's only 20 bucks. All I can say is "WOW". The shifts are much more precise. I had problems downshifting from fifth to fourth but not anymore. Shnick, shnick. Also reverse is much easier to engage than before. Definitely a recommended, cheap modification. It took about 40 minutes and I only drew blood once when I bent my left thumbnail backwards trying to put on a circlip. The OEM rubber bushing which faces up showed considerable wear already with only 12,500 miles.
sjbourg

Re: (Raven)

Post by sjbourg »

I just changed the shifter cable bushings on my Vibe GT yesterday, and as everyone before me has stated, you definitely feel a difference at the shifter. I tackled this mod from both the top and bottom of the car. I moved the cruise control box out of the way and replaced the bushings from the engine bay. This took about 30 minutes. Then, as suggested on the Speed Source directions, I got under the car and removed, checked, lubed and replaced the actuator arm for the upper (horizontal) cable. This also took about 30 minutes. This step helped even more in my opinion. I ran through the gears after changing the bushings but before servicing the actuator arm, and the shifter's left to right motion was not as smooth as after I serviced the arm. As everyone before me has stated, changing these bushings is well worth the money.BTW - You can get these bushings (and the shifter base bushings) on ebay now for 1/2 the price as Speed Source for those of you who still haven't done this yet. Just search under "toyota bushings".
NibCrom

Re: Brass Shifter Bushings (drunkenmaxx)

Post by NibCrom »

Quote, originally posted by drunkenmaxx »why would i want to see another guys bushings??? actually, i have no idea what those are.Haha. Sorry to interrupt the thread, but that was pretty funny.
Celtic_Curse

Post by Celtic_Curse »

I have the bushing and short shifter installed. There is way more tightness in the gearbox now. The bushings were great first but the quickshifter just added to the better feel of shifting.
2003 Supercharged 5spd Vibe BaseGM Supercharger + TRD ECUMagnaflow Cat Back + DC Sports Header 18" AXIS rimms w/Kumho TiresTop Spoiler + Vis CF Functional Scoop
sjbourg

Re: (Celtic_Curse)

Post by sjbourg »

I'm glad to hear that. I've already bought the TWM short shifter. Just havn't put it in yet. Other than a few cosmetic mods, these are the first things I've done to improve the "performance" of the Vibe. Because I drive the car everyday, that loose shifter had to be taken car of, especially since my last car was a 240sx se 5 speed. It's shifter was smooth and tight. Hopefully these improvements will get the Vibe near that, which should make everyday driving more tolerable and fun!
Celtic_Curse

Re: (sjbourg)

Post by Celtic_Curse »

I find more effort to shift but short throws. I have the TRD quickshifter and had to cut up my dash to make it work, but in my opinion its well worth it.
2003 Supercharged 5spd Vibe BaseGM Supercharger + TRD ECUMagnaflow Cat Back + DC Sports Header 18" AXIS rimms w/Kumho TiresTop Spoiler + Vis CF Functional Scoop
sjbourg

Post by sjbourg »

I know it's more effort with STS, so I got a weighted TWM shift knob also. Hopefully that will help out some. Even still, I'd rather have to exert a little extra effort on a smooth, tight shifter than continue to be annoyed by the sloppy (although effortless) stock one.
WaveAction

Post by WaveAction »

good find, when i get money i think i'd wanna do some stuff like this, the brass shifter cable bushings aswell as the brass base bushings and also polyurethane engine and tranny mounts
sjbourg

Re: (WaveAction)

Post by sjbourg »

You should do the the cable bushings. It's really easy and gives much bang for the buck. Motor/tranny mounts are in my future at some point too. Definitely motor mounts forst, as they are only $30 or so. Everyone seems to say the same thing about them also being a great bang for the buck!
sjbourg

Re: (WaveAction)

Post by sjbourg »

PS - I've got an extra set of the shifter base bushings if you (or anyone is interested). Just let me know.
sjbourg

Post by sjbourg »

BTW, did you get another shift boot for your STS? If so, was it from Redline? If so how much shorter did you order it to compensate for the STS length?
bishc21

Post by bishc21 »

Do u still have the extra set? Would be interested if you wanna sell them.Thanks !
04 Base Vibe Neptune 5MM/T package, Power packageMono appearance packageProtection package, 6 disk changerABS, 17" wheelsand of course... "my package"
sjbourg

Re: (bishc21)

Post by sjbourg »

Sorry. They've been sold. I should have posted that info.
bishc21

Post by bishc21 »

no prob
04 Base Vibe Neptune 5MM/T package, Power packageMono appearance packageProtection package, 6 disk changerABS, 17" wheelsand of course... "my package"
JustJosh

Re: Brass Shifter Bushings (AKLGT)

Post by JustJosh »

Which version of these did you order?[QUOTE=AKLGT]
mac99d

Re: Brass Shifter Bushings (JustJosh)

Post by mac99d »

Is their more than one version of them now.
Mac's Vibe.
My garage viewtopic.php?f=30&t=37677" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;