reviews of the 09 matrix have started

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
lil red wagon

reviews of the 09 matrix have started

Post by lil red wagon »

Don't know if anyone else subscribes to this, but just got my autoweek the other day. Inside, they reviewed the 09 Matrix (you could probably see it on their website). From what i got from the article, they liked the improvements, but hoped for more... Also, on Motorweek on the Speed Channel, they will be reviewing the matrix next week.
coldmm803

Re: reviews of the 09 matrix have started (lil red wagon)

Post by coldmm803 »

Quote »Pontiac has given the Vibe wagon a makeover for the 2009 model year. The '09 Vibe was unveiled Tuesday and goes on sale early next year.The Vibe's makeover coincides with a redesign for its mechanical twin, the Toyota Matrix. Toyota introduced the new Matrix last week during the SEMA show in Las Vegas.The '09 Vibe comes in three trim levels--base, AWD and GT. The redesign marks the return of all-wheel drive and the GT trim level to the Vibe lineup. The first-generation Vibe was launched in 2002 as a 2003 model.Base engine for the Vibe is a 1.8-liter, inline four with variable valve timing. The engine is rated at 132 hp and 128 ft-lb of torque. It is mated to either a five-speed manual or four-speed automatic transmission.A 2.4-liter inline four is the standard engine for the AWD and GT trim levels, and optional on the base Vibe. It is rated at 158 hp and 162 ft-lb of torque. With the AWD model, the engine is mated to a four-speed automatic transmission. Buyers of the GT or a base model equipped with the larger engine get a choice between the five-speed manual and an optional five-speed automatic.Standard hardware on all models includes four-wheel disc brakes with ABS and stability control. All Vibes come with electric power steering. The front suspension uses MacPherson struts. In the back, the base Vibe gets a torsion beam rear suspension. AWD and GT models use a multi-link rear suspension.Quote »The 2009 Pontiac Vibe is set to hit dealerships in February with a base price of $15,895 including shipping charges. That compares with a $17,395 base price for the '08 model.Other trim levels for the '09 model are all-wheel drive, with a base price of $19,495, and GT, with a base price of $19,895. All prices will include the $585 freight charge.this is all i could find on their site from 2 different articles. whats the point of having a GT model if the 2.4 is optional on the base?
VivaVibe

Re: reviews of the 09 matrix have started (coldmm803)

Post by VivaVibe »

Quote, originally posted by coldmm803 »whats the point of having a GT model if the 2.4 is optional on the base?My guess is that the GT will be tuned differently, get sportier suspension and wheel-tires, and have additional body trim like spoilers, ground affects, etc.
2004 Base Shadow MonotoneMoon-n-Tunes, Power Pkg16" Alloys, AT, ABS, Side Air-bagsPin-stripe, 30% Tint, Fat exhaust tipMy GenVibe Garage
Tubaryan12

Post by Tubaryan12 »

Quote, originally posted by lil red wagon »....they liked the improvements, but hoped for more... me too.
ex Vibe: 2005 Abyss 2 tone base, auto, power package (33.24 mpg combined)2008 Kia Rondo EX V6 7 passenger Volcanic Red w/ tan cloth interior (26.7 mpg combined) Finally got 30 mpg combined on the Rondo V-6 (10.24.09) Smith Driving
lil red wagon

Re: reviews of the 09 matrix have started (coldmm803)

Post by lil red wagon »

Quote, originally posted by coldmm803 »this is all i could find on their site from 2 different articles. whats the point of having a GT model if the 2.4 is optional on the base?checked out their website after i posted this, and the stuff on their site was from last weeks magazine, might have the matrix article up for next week.
jmpnjoe86

Post by jmpnjoe86 »

There is a preview test of the 09 Matrix XRS in the January Car And Driver - I entered the details in the "latest News" thread. http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=31173
jmpnjoe86
'05 Vibe AWD "Silver Bullet III"
Platinum 2-tone/Graphite, Power Package, 16" alloys
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

http://www.edmunds.com/insidel...23653 is an Edmunds review of the 09 Matrix XRSQuote »Despite its impressive levels of refinement, the 2009 Toyota Matrix XRS is not an athlete. Sure, the Matrix XRS is quicker and more agile than in years past, but it doesn't come close to matching the entertainment value of a Mazda3. For us this is kind of disappointing, but we doubt it will bother the 70,000 people who will decide to purchase a Matrix in 2008. In base, S or XRS trim, this remains a perfectly practical small wagon that you'll purchase for rational reasons rather than emotional ones.