Bad Oxygen Sensor?

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
NibCrom

Bad Oxygen Sensor?

Post by NibCrom »

2005 Vibe, Base Model, Automatic. 46,000 Miles. Check engine light came on, took it to Autozone. According to the code, the most likely cause is bad oxygen sensor. I'm gonna have my friend look at it this weekend.Questions:Is it okay to driving with the light on for a week? It's not flashing, and the vehicle doesn't seem to run any differently.Has anyone else ran into this problem? Did a new o2 sensor fix it? Just don't wanna buy a new part that won't fix the problem.Thanks!
joatmon

Re: Bad Oxygen Sensor? (NibCrom)

Post by joatmon »

What was the code?
NibCrom

Post by NibCrom »

Ah poo. I'll left it at home. I'll have to get it later.
stoutvibe

Post by stoutvibe »

That's about when mine went out for the first time. My code was P0133. Keep in mind there are two O2 sensors - one before the Cat and one after. The P0133 code is for the one before the Cat. It won't really damage anything - I just loose about 5 mpg's. Have you noticed any decrease in your mileage? Also, I think that short trips affect the sensor more - my car had the P0133 code last week and after a long trip this weekend it went out. Now this morning after some short trips, it is back on. Just a theory.
NibCrom

Post by NibCrom »

I'm not sure if my mileage is down or not. I think my mileage usually goes down in the winter anyways, but I'm not sure there is a significant difference. My mileage seemed fine on a long trip a couple of weeks ago (32+). I guess it could have went out though. I'll go back to the printout and see what the code was.
NibCrom

Re: Bad Oxygen Sensor? (stoutvibe)

Post by NibCrom »

Alright...Here is the code: P0171.Here's what the AutoZone printout said:Definition: Fuel trim bank one conditionExplanation: The powertrain control module uses the oxygen sensor to calculate the air/fuel ratio of the engine. The computer has recognized a rich or lean condition on one engine bank only.Probable Causes:1. If bank one and two codes set together suspect fuel pressure of MAF Sensor2. Oxygen sensor defective3. Ignition misfire-repair4. Fuel injector problem.The guy said the oxygen sensor was probably defective and needed to be replaced. Any second opinions?
scherry2

Post by scherry2 »

doesn't sound like they cleared the code at autozone, they usually ask if you want to.I'd unhook the positive battery cable reset the cpu and see if it comes on again. yes, its O.K. to drive with a steady light.
Digger

Re: Bad Oxygen Sensor? (scherry2)

Post by Digger »

Might not help but..... Our van's light comes on every winter when the temp goes down and the winter gas is back. It goes out after the first tank of winter gas...
2005 AWD What's your story?It's a wonderful thingMomma always said "Help that is not helpful, is no help at all"
Raven

Re: Bad Oxygen Sensor? (Digger)

Post by Raven »

PO171 System too Lean (Bank1) Fuel trim malfunction is actually code PO170. All of the specific oxygen sensor codes for the Vibe are between P0130 and PO161. From my own personal experience, I would go with a fuel injector problem to start. Run a tank of Techron fuel injector cleaner and reset the code and see what happens. If it works great, it's a cheap fix. If it doesn't, no worries the injectors were probably ready for a cleaning anyways. Good luck.