ATT Uverse - FTW

General discussions not related to the Vibe, Matrix, or any other vehicle. (follow posting rules)
98ex

ATT Uverse - FTW

Post by 98ex »

This is ATT's answer to FIOS. I just switched over (the package deal they were offering was pretty good)I got - ALL cable channels (excluding Sprot packages, HBO, Cinemax) with 3mb down / 1mb up internet, 110gb HDD DVR, second receiver for bedroom all for $88 month. Also I get my first month free!!!What is awesome is that I can log into my DVR from any PC and update recording information. System runs off of the Telephone line. From the line, they splice in an Ethernet cord, run wire to router via RJ11 jack, then the receivers conneect to the router via ethernet also(no coax cable) to get their signals. Router is wireless G with a 4 port switch. The receivers are amazing, far beyond TWC receivers. The receivers themselves have PiP. When I am going through the guide, and highlight a channel, it will have a small box that shows me what is playing. The main receiver is a QUAD tuner DVR (which means I can record upto 4 shows at one time - this has been tested and verified). The connection up to the building is fiber, then uses existing wiring (cheaper way than FiOS) What's great is that even if the place where you live (apartment for me) has a contract with a certain provider, since this is utilizing the phone lines, you can bypass that contract and get service (I found that the contract only apply to the coax connection of services) Can't wait until I get a better TV and am able to move my PC closer to the router and go wired (wireless is great for convinience of placing PC anywhere, but soooo much slower than wired) Anyone else have this service yet (pretty new service)
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

...whats the fastest internet they offer? 3mbps down is sorta slow now days... for the "new" connectionsbut thats awesome you can connect to the dvr though!
bull77

Re: ATT Uverse - FTW (98ex)

Post by bull77 »

Looks good - except I agree with Northvibe, that's a slow d/u ratioAlso I didn't even know what FIOS was - pretty sure it's not offered in my area http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verizon_Fi ... ki/U-Verse
98ex

Post by 98ex »

Well, it is not true FiOS type net. Since I live in an Apt, they run Fiber to the Vrad, and then use existing wiring which limits the capabilities. The internet is capped on my service which is 3 down/1 up. They have a higher package of 6down/1up. Based on what the gateway is reading, I am getting close to 30 mb coming in, but I would say 24-25 of that is video services. When they install into a house, I am pretty sure you can get MUCH better and faster connections like FiOS. It is still faster than my 7 down 1.5 up cable connection(they claimed I was tog et those speeds but never did.)
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

ah an apartment building? yeah then you get crap for speeds as you all share that connection. I live in a town home and wow...cable internet suck. I got 8mbps down and 1mbps up....but in high traffic hours i get like half of that. I miss my asynchronous dsl On cable when i upload and dl at the same time it just craps out...uhhh lame. well at least you got a sweet dvr...i made one using linux...just need the tv tuner card. yeah wireless can be a lame duck, the new N is okay usually...but I like a wired connection for my main pc for sure and server...wireless would suck for my server hahah.
98ex

Post by 98ex »

I think I found out my problem with wireless. I have found a couple fo boards talking about Uverse and the Residential Gateway router (2wire brand) Apparantly if there are other Uverse customers in the area (8 within range of my PC card) they tend to stay on the same channels causing interference with each other. I am going to play with the settings tonight and change the channel on the router and hopefully get a better connection.
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

ohhhh yeah make yours like channel 11 or 1, those are at the end/start of the list and no one usually pics them....also the wii likes those ones
98ex

Re: (northvibe)

Post by 98ex »

Quote, originally posted by northvibe »ohhhh yeah make yours like channel 11 or 1, those are at the end/start of the list and no one usually pics them....also the wii likes those ones Yep changed to 11 and bam!!! tripled download speeds. The up speed stayed the same at just over 900kb