2005 Vibe - Fuel pump problem.

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
creo6746

2005 Vibe - Fuel pump problem.

Post by creo6746 »

I have an 05 Vibe - yesterday it quit while driving down the road. Dealer says the fuel pump has gone out - it only has 41K.Anyone else have this problem?
bradw

Post by bradw »

Have you run it out gas at any time? That will shorten the fuel pump life. Other than that....those things happen sometimes.
Black Widow 888

Re: 2005 Vibe - Fuel pump problem. (creo6746)

Post by Black Widow 888 »

The fuel pump went out in mine before 20K. It was having hard starts before it happened, and now the hard starts are happening again. I think I'm going to take it to the dealership tomorrow and see what they say. BTW, I have only seen my gas light come on 2 times, and it was filled up right away. Usually never sees below 1/3 of a tank.
VivaVibe

Post by VivaVibe »

Bummer, and a really odd feeling for it to just quit. This happened to me twice in my Chevy Astro van. Both times I think because I let the fuel get too low. It's a very expensive fix as the pump is inside the fuel tank.You might also look at the coil or regulator (if they stll use those).
2004 Base Shadow MonotoneMoon-n-Tunes, Power Pkg16" Alloys, AT, ABS, Side Air-bagsPin-stripe, 30% Tint, Fat exhaust tipMy GenVibe Garage
Cougar Vibe

Post by Cougar Vibe »

Are our fuel pumps AC Delco sourced or Toyo/Denso? Just wondering...
lexicon

Are you telling me that the pump is exposed if the light is on?

Post by lexicon »

I have to assume that the pump is NOT exposed if the light comes on.I typically do not gas up until the light comes on.Which equates to about 10.5 gallons to fill it up.
2005 VibeAutomaticStockNon AWD125 hp model
VivaVibe

Re: Are you telling me that the pump is exposed if the light is on? (lexicon)

Post by VivaVibe »

The Vibe fuel tank is supposed to be 13 or 13.2 gallons. That means 3.25 gal per quarter tank. If you are hitting 10.5 you have less than a quarter tank. So, if for any reason you can't get a refill immediately, you could be asking for trouble.I recommend refilling at the quarter mark, which means the refill will be about 9.75 gal. I see the warning light as indication you are almost out of gas. Refilling before the light comes on should avoid any surprises; because your trouble could appear well after the low point of fuel or the light indication.I've been told that sediment builds up in the bottom of the tank. This crud is a normal part of the fuel transport business. There are supposed to be filters in the gas station, but if they are not replaced regularly they can't work properly. Anyway, it generally finds a way into your car fuel tank, so you must be careful not to let it get into your fuel pump or lines. When your fuel is low, the pump tends to suck in some of it which causes clogging and difficulty in maintaining proper pressure. It is wise to avoid this situation as repair is very expensive.The pump used to be outside the tank along the fuel line which made it easy to service or replace. But, I'm told the Feds/EPA now insist it be inside the tank to avoid spills when it fails.
2004 Base Shadow MonotoneMoon-n-Tunes, Power Pkg16" Alloys, AT, ABS, Side Air-bagsPin-stripe, 30% Tint, Fat exhaust tipMy GenVibe Garage
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

I thknk the theory is that the fuel pump running dry, pumping air instead of gasoline can shorten the fuel pump life. I don't think that just running the tank below a quarter tank should cause any problems.
VivaVibe

Re: (joatmon)

Post by VivaVibe »

If you were pumping air, the car wouldn't run at all. I think what happens is when it sucks up the crud the pump has to struggle to maintain pressure, and that's what causes it to overwork and then fail.I agree that the warning light should come on at a point that clearly avoids damage to the fuel pump. But, with such a small tank the margin is slim. When I had trouble with my van, both times it got below a quarter (maybe to 1/8). Never did it run out of gas. And, the failure occurred a tank or two later because the pump was already contaminated, and was struggling. Because of those experiences and the unduly expensive cost of replacing the fuel pump, I play it safe.The Vibe tank is half the size of the Astro van, which means the margin for error is much tighter. For me that means, refill no later than a quarter tank.
2002sportside

Re: (Cougar Vibe)

Post by 2002sportside »

Quote, originally posted by Cougar Vibe »Are our fuel pumps AC Delco sourced or Toyo/Denso? Just wondering...As soon as I get my replacement, I'll let you know.There is a TSB for no start, slow start due to a bad fuel pumps in '05 models. The GM TSB is rather short and vague... but the Toyota TSB, if I remember correctly... I can't find my copy, lists it as a bad seal that allows the fuel to drain back into the tank when the vehicle is parked for a few hours. I wonder if this would get worse over time and cause the pump to fail completely by not being able to pump fuel at all.
2005 Moonstone Base Vibe 38k as of October, 2010 (41k as of 7-15-11)Moon & Tunes, power package, automatic, center console power port added
Dog Hauler

Re: (2002sportside)

Post by Dog Hauler »

mid 90's Gm pickups had fuel pump problems from running them below 1/8 tanks of gas. If I remember correctly the pump is inside the tank and when you ran them low on gas the pump would overheat and shut off. The pumps used the gas in the tank to cool themselves.I was always told never to go below a 1/4 tank because it would scourn the pump and dramatically lower its life. My question is brand new cars are shipped with very little gas in them and test drove the same way, so is this hurting the pump before we ever buy the car?
2001FZ1

Post by 2001FZ1 »

Bringing back an old thread......38,000 miles on my GT and my wife was stuck along the interstate with my 8 month old son in 98 degree heat. Once at the dealer, we were told it was a bad fuel pump.Just another reason to NEVER buy another GMSo far we have had the following problems:Battery failureO2 failurewarped brake rotorsroof trip falling offpontiac emblem falling offA/C failure 3 timesFuse for EFI blew for no reason (3 weeks ago) ~ dealer couldn't figure out whyand now the fuel pump is dead38,000 miles and my wife has been stranded 3 times. Good job GM!
Joe2005 Vibe GT2000 Silverado 4x41993 Camaro Z/28Riding a '05 GSXR-1000. ~ Full (removed). Akropovic exhaust, power commander, custom map = 166 horse My wife rides a crazy fast Ninja 250
prathman

Re: Are you telling me that the pump is exposed if the light is on? (VivaVibe)

Post by prathman »

Quote, originally posted by VivaVibe »I've been told that sediment builds up in the bottom of the tank. This crud is a normal part of the fuel transport business. There are supposed to be filters in the gas station, but if they are not replaced regularly they can't work properly. Anyway, it generally finds a way into your car fuel tank, so you must be careful not to let it get into your fuel pump or lines. When your fuel is low, the pump tends to suck in some of it which causes clogging and difficulty in maintaining proper pressure.Unless there's some kind of floating input line, I'd assume the intake to the fuel pump would be located near the bottom of the tank so it can get almost all the fuel. In that case it'll be sucking up any sediment at the tank bottom at all times, not just when you're low on gas.The other argument sometimes made is that the fuel pump depends on having gasoline around it for cooling. If that's the case then I'd expect the gas tank design to be such that the pump sits in a depression located just below the gas intake so the pump is always submerged even when the car runs out of gas.But designing the tank and pump in such a way that durability requires the user to refuel long before the tank registers empty strikes me as a flawed design - especially since there's no admonition in the owner's manual that early refueling is needed to avoid mechanical damage.BTW, my older car ('87 Nova, Corolla clone, also built at NUMMI) has about 240,000 miles and was rarely refilled until the needle was at or below the 'E' mark. The fuel pump is still running fine.
MarkM04

Re: Are you telling me that the pump is exposed if the light is on? (prathman)

Post by MarkM04 »

Your fuel is being picked up at the lowest part of the tank, all the time, so if there was any "crud" it be the first to go. The thought of the tank getting low, which means the pump is sucking all the crud is an old wives tale, with no common sense behind it. If the fuel was being sucked off the top of the tank, you wouldn't get very far would you? Also, the pump is cooled by pumping fuel through it, not from fuel being around it.
dcbridgwater

Re: 2005 Vibe - Fuel pump problem. (2001FZ1)

Post by dcbridgwater »

The Vibe is more Toyota than GM.
2006 Neptune AWDSide & Curtain AirbagsABSPower Package
58auto

Re: Another reason not to buy GM? (prathman)

Post by 58auto »

Sorry to say, that the vibe you are driving is 99% Toyota. Assembled in Numi, Califonia. The only GM part on the vehicle is the Pontiac emblems. Keep buying imports and we can all go over to Asia to look for a Job, in a few years.
keithvibe

Re: Another reason not to buy GM? (58auto)

Post by keithvibe »

Quote, originally posted by 58auto » Keep buying imports and we can all go over to Asia to look for a Job, in a few years.You first... HAHAHA I'm staying here.TYVM
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
ToolGuy

Post by ToolGuy »

Quote, originally posted by 58auto »Sorry to say, that the vibe you are driving is 99% Toyota. Assembled in Numi, Califonia. The only GM part on the vehicle is the Pontiac emblems. Keep buying imports and we can all go over to Asia to look for a Job, in a few years.True but I am sure more money from a Vibe purchase stays here in the US and with GM than buying a Matrix. If the big three would get their act together then people would not say such as you are saying... I saw this coming over ten years ago when I moved to Mich to get into the auto industry and what did the big three do about it, keep building more SUV and pick ups with V8 engines and lost market share. If the big three did not have or had to pay for full benefits for retirees that would help them out too. The big three are also fully to blame for the crappy economy and high job loss here in Mich too, no one else... I have to do what I have to do to life and support my family and if it means go to Asia for a job I will. I already want to leave this damn state and go to TN "the next automotive capital" and I will be in the next few years. Can you sense I am that frustrated with Mich? I am a huge GM fan and will always be but I also have to work and look out for my career in the long run. Which begs why are you on this site if you say this about the Vibe? And since this thread is revived, fuel pumps need fuel to cool themselves. If no fuel, they will burn up. Which is why I never run out of fuel. Camaro's/Firbird's used to run out quickly when low and burn their pumps out; not covered under warranty. There is one sometimes two filters for the fuel pump to protect against sucking up of debris and the filters do clog but save the pump.
kevera

Re: Another reason not to buy GM? (ToolGuy)

Post by kevera »

Just thank god the fuel pump is easily to get at.All you have to do is remove the back seat and pull the cover off and voila.Way easier than dropping the gas tank.
June '07 VOTM Sept '07 MOTM HCVO /HCMO The Red Devil
NibCrom

Re: 2005 Vibe - Fuel pump problem. (2001FZ1)

Post by NibCrom »

Quote, originally posted by 2001FZ1 »Bringing back an old thread......38,000 miles on my GT and my wife was stuck along the interstate with my 8 month old son in 98 degree heat. Once at the dealer, we were told it was a bad fuel pump.Just another reason to NEVER buy another GMSo far we have had the following problems:Battery failureO2 failurewarped brake rotorsroof trip falling offpontiac emblem falling offA/C failure 3 timesFuse for EFI blew for no reason (3 weeks ago) ~ dealer couldn't figure out whyand now the fuel pump is dead38,000 miles and my wife has been stranded 3 times. Good job GM!Guess you're not gonna buy Toyotas either.
Whelan

Re: 2005 Vibe - Fuel pump problem. (NibCrom)

Post by Whelan »

I usually always let my tank go down. Either to 1/4 or till the light comes on till I fill it. I also put a bottl of cleaner in the tank with each oil change which helps to keep things clean and functional.66,000 miles and not one problem.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
58auto

Re: Another reason not to buy GM? (kevera)

Post by 58auto »

First of all, you have to remember, that Gm owns a large stake of Toyota and that, Gm North American operations are having trouble. The same is true for Ford. Gm and Ford in general, are conglomerates, they are worth billions and own multiple company's on the New York Exchange. When you buy American, you are buying for American workers. Gm and Ford care nothing about its workers. It is evident that they want to close there doors here, and move overseas for cheap wages. I love America and American family values. The recent devaluation of the dollar, further puts Americans at a disadvantage. When we watch sports, who sponsors are games? Need I say more? I don't say that a Vibe is a bad car and I don't say that Gm or Ford are bad cars or any of the others. They all have problems. I found the site to help my friend with his Vibe. I will not disown him. We can win, if we stick together buy telling our politicians that enough is enough and we are tired of them supporting the special interest groups and not us American workers and Family's.
prathman

Post by prathman »

Quote, originally posted by 58auto »Sorry to say, that the vibe you are driving is 99% Toyota. Assembled in Numi, Califonia. The only GM part on the vehicle is the Pontiac emblems. Keep buying imports and we can all go over to Asia to look for a Job, in a few years.Odd that you replied this way to my post in which I had already made it clear that my Vibes and Nova were clones of their respective Toyota counterparts. And there is no such place as "Numi, California." The assembly plant is in Fremont, Cal., about 15 miles from where I live. The joint Toyota/GM corporation operating the plant is called NUMMI and it provides for many UAW and management jobs that help support our local economy. I can identify quite a few components besides the emblems that are built to GM spec., but certainly most of the car's parts do come from Toyota. But many of those are made by various US suppliers. The distinction between domestic and import in the car industry is becoming increasingly blurred.
ToolGuy

Post by ToolGuy »

Quote, originally posted by 58auto »First of all, you have to remember, that Gm owns a large stake of Toyota and that, Gm North American operations are having trouble. The same is true for Ford. Gm and Ford in general, are conglomerates, they are worth billions and own multiple company's on the New York Exchange. When you buy American, you are buying for American workers. Gm and Ford care nothing about its workers. It is evident that they want to close there doors here, and move overseas for cheap wages. I love America and American family values. The recent devaluation of the dollar, further puts Americans at a disadvantage. When we watch sports, who sponsors are games? Need I say more? I don't say that a Vibe is a bad car and I don't say that Gm or Ford are bad cars or any of the others. They all have problems. I found the site to help my friend with his Vibe. I will not disown him. We can win, if we stick together buy telling our politicians that enough is enough and we are tired of them supporting the special interest groups and not us American workers and Family's. OK I hear you... I just have had it here in this state lately. Single state recession; I do not need to tell you you know cause you live here too. Other states are finally catching up to Mich and feeling our pain now. I can only imagine if our state will sink lower then others now or stay were we are.
harryyiii

Post by harryyiii »

Not stated is the point that the fuel pump and motor, being totally immersed, has its bearings in gas. My understanding is that the gas lubricates the bearings as it goes through the pump. No gas, bye-bye pump.
prathman

Re: 2005 Vibe - Fuel pump problem. (harryyiii)

Post by prathman »

Quote, originally posted by harryyiii »Not stated is the point that the fuel pump and motor, being totally immersed, has its bearings in gas. My understanding is that the gas lubricates the bearings as it goes through the pump. No gas, bye-bye pump.Letting the car run completely out of gas is a bad idea for several reasons (being stuck somewhere inconvenient or unsafe, extra stress on the catalytic converter from poorly running engine at end, etc.) in addition to the wear on the fuel pump. But the pump won't be running long in that situation anyway before the engine stops. So it doesn't seem likely that much damage would occur from a single incident. And what I don't see any justification for are the recommendations to never even let the tank get low on fuel. I've never run out of gas in the Vibe, but I do frequently let the gauge get down to the 'E' mark or a little below before refueling.