ECU/PCM Purchase

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
Petrucci914

ECU/PCM Purchase

Post by Petrucci914 »

Hello,First question, does the ECU contain the PCM?Instead of paying a couple hundred dollars for a PCM re-flash, why not just buy an ECU off of eBay (assuming it contains the PCM). There is a guy selling them for $60 and they have less than 30 miles on them.I have a question on one of them, though. He lists many different ones for the 2003, FWD, AT. What are the differences between then?http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...ZWD1VThanks!
2003 Pontiac Vibe Base - AutomaticTRD Supercharger w/ Smoothflow PulleyaFe Drop-in Filter - DC Sports HeaderFull 2.25" Exhaust -Magnaflow Catback + CatsOptima RedTop - Tru-Cool Tranny Cooler
joatmon

Re: ECU/PCM Purchase (Petrucci914)

Post by joatmon »

in a vibe, the ECM and the PCM are the same box PCM is powertrain control unit. ECU could be electrical, electronic, engine control,computer unit. basically the computer than controls the engine and if equipped, the auto tranny, and probably some other things.I don't know what the differences are between the various part numbers listed.I have read conflicting info about flahing the things. Some people say they can't be flashed, that is why when GM has a TSB that includes a new ECU/PCM program, they replace the entire ECU/PCM. A few matrix folks have said they have had theirs flashed. Maybe the things can be flashed, and GM decided it was more cost effective to treat the thing as a replaceable unit than to buyToyota ECU/PCM flashing equipment and training for all their dealers. That might be the difference in the various models in the ebay listing, different versions of code, but if so, then it might be worth finding out what the differences are, and which version of the program comes on the one for sale.
Raven

Post by Raven »

The numbers are probably for different ECU versions built at different times during the production run. You should check yours before ordering one. Also you could try calling a GM parts counter and ask them what the numbers mean.
scherry2

Post by scherry2 »

ECU's can be reflashed. it takes about 20 minutes but I doubt a GM tech has the proper tools to do it. as for the part #'s, different part numbers are for different configurations IE; A/C, no A/C, automatic, manual, awd, and a host of other electronic control needs, even down to the sound and lights your car makes when using your key fob when unlocking/locking your door. and also years, 2003 would be a different part number than 2004. at our plant we have 6 to 8 different ECU's.
Petrucci914

Re: ECU/PCM Purchase (scherry2)

Post by Petrucci914 »

Did anybody get their ECU replaced under that TSB? If so, could you give me the ID number off of it? It would have to apply to a 2003, Auto, FWD.
2003 Pontiac Vibe Base - AutomaticTRD Supercharger w/ Smoothflow PulleyaFe Drop-in Filter - DC Sports HeaderFull 2.25" Exhaust -Magnaflow Catback + CatsOptima RedTop - Tru-Cool Tranny Cooler
kevera

Post by kevera »

I read this earlier this morning.Its my understanding the ECU and PCM are the same thing.I had my ECU/PCM replaced.This is from the TSB and is for the auto like I think you have.2003 Automatic PCM-Front wheel Drive #88974133
June '07 VOTM Sept '07 MOTM HCVO /HCMO The Red Devil
Petrucci914

Re: ECU/PCM Purchase (kevera)

Post by Petrucci914 »

Very cool. I may get that but I should probably save up as well to get my tranny rebuilt..........I think its about to go. My vibe is starting to roll back when in Drive on steep inclines. Not normal, is it?
Petrucci914

Post by Petrucci914 »

Well, maybe normal. Read this off a Lexus IS webpage:I'm not entirely sure how it works, but especially if you've had a merc before this, the Lexus does not creep forward as strongly as mercs do.Therefore, it doesn't have as much power on steep hills and will roll backwards. There is however a hill hold function that will stop the car from rolling backwards, but if you don't bring the car to a complete stop before letting go of thae brakes, it won't always engage.It used to bother me as well, but ever since I understood how to make it work, it will never roll back - and I prefer it as I can let go of the pedal and it won't roll forwards (as it would with most other cars)
kevera

Post by kevera »

In regards to the rolling back.Mine has always done that so I wouldn't worry.
Petrucci914

Post by Petrucci914 »

Hmm, just looked at my ECU. What I saw was this:Toyota89661-01112Denso. Manufactured in TennesseeThat number doesn't seem to match anything I can find. I don't want to replace it with something that is older, or something that will fry my ride.
kevera

Post by kevera »

The number I gave you is the GM number.The number you have is the Toyota #.The question is,why do you want to replace the pcm.
Petrucci914

Post by Petrucci914 »

Ya, mine wasn't GM Badged at all. Did they not do that in the beginning or what? My tranny performs pretty ****ty most of the time. I had a mechanic look at it and he agrees but he says it's not mechanical that I should get a re-flash. Well, I don't want to pay $300 or so for something that might not be able to be done. So I thought I could just buy a new ECU, or better yet, a newer/updated one.
kevera

Post by kevera »

For the $60,might be worth a try.The part # I gave you matches the one on the ebay listing.If you think it's the pcm,it's a cheap way to find out.In regards to the Toyota pcm.I think all Vibes have the Toyota pcm,I have an 04 and mine is also a denso.
Petrucci914

Post by Petrucci914 »

I've scheduled an appt with a Transmission Business. I'm going to have them run tests on it and make sure no valves or solenoids are shot. If that all passes then I'll buy the ECU replacement.
Petrucci914

Post by Petrucci914 »

I got the ECU today but I don't see that GM number. I told him I wanted the 88974133 version (updated revision). Is there some way I can be sure?