gm rwd future 'on hold'

The latest news on what's happening with the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix.
ramenboy...

gm rwd future 'on hold'

Post by ramenboy... »

http://news.windingroad.com/go...angeswe all knew it was too good to be true, i guess. so the camaro, and MAYBE the impala would be the last rwd for a while?
de-badged o4 vibe
tein s-techs | 17" msr 105 wheels | 235 45 17 nexen n7000
weapon-r short ram (thanx BC!) | typeR sport pedals | LED 3rd brake
o2 triumph speed four
SeattleJeremy

Re: gm rwd future 'on hold' (ramenboy...)

Post by SeattleJeremy »

It didn't mention the G8. So I assume that's still coming in the fall. I think the Impala and other cars they mentioned should stay front wheel drive.
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
ramenboy...

Re: gm rwd future 'on hold' (Jeremy96gase)

Post by ramenboy... »

yeah its too late to take back the g8.but i think the present impalas pale in comparison to the 94-96 rear drive. i'd like to see those again
de-badged o4 vibe
o2 triumph speed four
VforVIBE

Post by VforVIBE »

hmmmm... that sucksdid you there is a new platform coming out?Kappa + Zeta = Alpha
“I live my life free of compromise, and step into the shadows without complaint or regret.”
Viva la Pontiac! 2009 Jet Black GT
ajflan

Post by ajflan »

Thats too bad. I think that it should be up to the consumer to buy what they want. If they want fuel economy, then buy a small car.
February 08' VOTM Check out my Band! http://www.facebook.com/pages/...67945
ramenboy...

Re: gm rwd future 'on hold' (VforVIBE)

Post by ramenboy... »

Quote, originally posted by VforVIBE »hmmmm... that sucksdid you there is a new platform coming out?Kappa + Zeta = Alphayeah, its supposed to incorporate pieces of the Kappa architecture and the Zeta architecture and become a rear-wheel drive base for the Pontiac and Cadillac brands. but with this news, i don't know what it'll do, if they can't build the rwd cars.
de-badged o4 vibe
o2 triumph speed four
Mathias

Post by Mathias »

My prediction is that Pontiac is going to get the axe.Why? For the same reason that they killed Oldsmobile, and the pattern looks familiar.First, Olds got revamped. New product, big advertising (not your father's Olds...), some success with the Aurora and the Intrigue. Then the fatal blow a few years later.GM is still hurting. They still have too many brands, and Pontiac is the obvious target for getting killed off. Look at the Bruhaha about the Vibe intro... now supposed to happen in LA, in November. No Pontiacs at NYAS, nothing serious at NAIAS, now the reardrive renaissance is on hold... you do the math.Remember folks, you heard it here first ;-)-Mathias
b train

Post by b train »

I one point I thought I read someplace that GM was going to take Pontiac back to its roots and have the Pontiac line be the "sporty youthful" GM line. With mostly RWD vehicles. I may have just been dreaming a wonderful dream tho.I guess I'll just have to keep saving for my '77 Trans-Am.
prathman

Re: (Mathias)

Post by prathman »

Quote, originally posted by Mathias »My prediction is that Pontiac is going to get the axe.I'd think that Buick would be a more likely target. It has an average buyer age in the upper '60s which isn't usually the most desireable demographic - how many more new cars are those owners likely to be buying?
Mathias

Post by Mathias »

The problem with Buick is this: It's a cash cow.Buick has been selling very steadily for years. I do think it's a target for elimination, but right now the General would shoot himself in the foot.The 60+ crowd may not have much panache with the marketing gurus. But they have lots of money...Pontiac, on the other hand, has no real brand identity. "Excitement"? Gimme a break. What they do have is some really good-looking cars all of a sudden. The G6 and the Solstice are really good-looking vehicles. -Mathias
KNINE

Re: (prathman)

Post by KNINE »

Quote, originally posted by prathman »I'd think that Buick would be a more likely target. It has an average buyer age in the upper '60s which isn't usually the most desireable demographic - how many more new cars are those owners likely to be buying?Buick found new life in China. For some reason the Buick is the car to own over there. It's a pretty big status symbol. The Chinese sales alone are going to keep Buick alive.
"Don't look to the government to solve your problems, the government is the problem." Ronald Reagan"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin.
KNINE

Re: gm rwd future 'on hold' (ajflan)

Post by KNINE »

Quote, originally posted by ajflan »Thats too bad. I think that it should be up to the consumer to buy what they want. If they want fuel economy, then buy a small car.Now you know the consumer is too stupid to decide what to buy. You must be one of those radicals who believe in the free market economy. That's why we have government, to make our lives better.
"Don't look to the government to solve your problems, the government is the problem." Ronald Reagan"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin.
ramenboy...

Re: (K-NINE)

Post by ramenboy... »

Quote, originally posted by K-NINE »Buick found new life in China. For some reason the Buick is the car to own over there. It's a pretty big status symbol. The Chinese sales alone are going to keep Buick alive.yeah i remember seeing that in the news a while back. all these 'up&coming yuppies' in china are saving their hard earned yuan for buicks. its crazy.
de-badged o4 vibe
o2 triumph speed four
ajflan

Re: gm rwd future 'on hold' (K-NINE)

Post by ajflan »

Quote, originally posted by K-NINE »Now you know the consumer is too stupid to decide what to buy. You must be one of those radicals who believe in the free market economy. That's why we have government, to make our lives better. Radical? Thats not jumping to conclusions. What I'm saying is that if someone can afford to drive a vehicle that gets low mpg, then let them. I am NOT a radical, I just believe that the government shouldn't make decisions for people. But I have no problem with increasing mpg in order to conserve fuel and save the environment and all that stuff.
KNINE

Re: gm rwd future 'on hold' (ajflan)

Post by KNINE »

Quote, originally posted by ajflan »Radical? Thats not jumping to conclusions. What I'm saying is that if someone can afford to drive a vehicle that gets low mpg, then let them. I am NOT a radical, I just believe that the government shouldn't make decisions for people. But I have no problem with increasing mpg in order to conserve fuel and save the environment and all that stuff. I was just using sarcasm to make a point. I completely agree with what you were saying. I should have included a wink in my statement. Sorry, I wasn't taking a shot at you.
ajflan

Re: gm rwd future 'on hold' (K-NINE)

Post by ajflan »

Oops, I guess I couldn't hear the sarcasm through the text. Its amazing how much a wink can change the meaning of something. My apologies for being so defensive.
tnpartsguy

Re: (Mathias)

Post by tnpartsguy »

Quote, originally posted by Mathias »The problem with Buick is this: It's a cash cow.Buick has been selling very steadily for years. I do think it's a target for elimination, but right now the General would shoot himself in the foot.The 60+ crowd may not have much panache with the marketing gurus. But they have lots of money...Pontiac, on the other hand, has no real brand identity. "Excitement"? Gimme a break. What they do have is some really good-looking cars all of a sudden. The G6 and the Solstice are really good-looking vehicles. -MathiasThe cash cow aka Buick has dry utters. Buick is losing the Rainier, Rendevous, and Terraza this year, and only gaining the new $40K base priced crossover Enclave. They only have 2 car brands left, the horribally named LaCrosse and the Lucurne...neither of which are setting the world on fire with sales... Buick will have 3 nameplates going into '08, unless they revive the Park Avenue, but that's just not enough. I see Buick becoming more and more a niche vehicle, and not a full franchase anymore.
Current Ride 2015 GMC Terrain SLT
2nd Vibe 2006 Vibe AWD Stealth Monotone "Recon" December 2005 MOTM
Original Vibe: 2003 AWD Abyss Monotone "Darth"
GM/ASE Certified Parts Manager.
micbarric

Re: (ramenboy...)

Post by micbarric »

Quote, originally posted by ramenboy... »yeah i remember seeing that in the news a while back. all these 'up&coming yuppies' in china are saving their hard earned yuan for buicks. its crazy.Chinese Buicks don't look too bad...
2005 Frosty
ajflan

Re: (micbarric)

Post by ajflan »

That looks better than any Buick around here, thats for sure.