How long can you drive with a screw in your tire?

Wheel and tire information and upgrade discussions
Sputnik

How long can you drive with a screw in your tire?

Post by Sputnik »

So the plan was to get rid of the continental tires this year when we put on the snow tires - which I had planned to do Nov 13th - my day off work. Tonight we're going to our car after work and I saw a screw embedded in the right rear tire. Its in there flush against the tire. We drove home with it like that. So will I wake up tomorrow and find my tire is flat completely? The plan now is to take the car in tomorrow for the tire change as we really have no choice...
GenVibe Global Moderator

Current: 2012 Nissan Juke SL - Sapphire Blue Onyx (July '12 - present)
Current: 2012 Nissan Leaf SL 100% Electric - Blue Ocean (Dec '11 - present)

Past: 2003 Pontiac Vibe - Satellite Silver (Aug '02 - Dec '07)
VforVIBE

Re: How long can you drive with a screw in your tire? (Sputnik)

Post by VforVIBE »

Just went through that with one of my wheels, only it was a 4 inch nail. I ended up buying a mini air compressor so I could go to school until I could get the nail out. Yeah, it'll be completely flat by morning.
“I live my life free of compromise, and step into the shadows without complaint or regret.”
Viva la Pontiac! 2009 Jet Black GT
Sputnik

Re: How long can you drive with a screw in your tire? (VforVIBE)

Post by Sputnik »

Well that just sucks. I was hoping it would stay inflated enough to get it to the tire place.
GenVibe Global Moderator

ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

It can honestly depend on a lot of factors.I drove with a screw in my tire for 3 weeks once...and lost very little air. Just topped it off with the compressor every few days. In another instance, I had a flat tire within an hour.Monitor your pressure. Check it now, and then again in the morning. If you don't lose more then a pound or two, you might be ok.
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
3.6L V6 (256 HP @ 6300 rpm, 248 ft-lbs. @ 2100 rpm)
Sputnik

Re: (ragingfish)

Post by Sputnik »

I've been going out and looking at it... the thing is we don't know how long its even been there. I only saw it today because it was facing me as I walked to the car. So if its been there a long time then I'm good to last until morning. I don't have a tire pressure guage (yeah bad me I know!). It only feels mildly softer than any of the other tires. I am crossing my fingers. I wanted to take it to the tire place tonight and leave it there so they have it first thing, and I don't have to worry about it being flat before I get there, but they won't take cars overnight.
GenVibe Global Moderator

jpalmer

Post by jpalmer »

if it's just a single screw and it's straight in the tire....that's a repair that you can easily do at home yourselfjust go to any AutoZone type store and get tire repair kit....it'll come with the thick rubber plugs and a device to score the hole of the tire to make a good seal.used to do that all the time with my dad
Oh yeah...did I mention I am a professional photographer? This is my website
Sputnik

Re: (jpalmer)

Post by Sputnik »

Well the tires are the original continental tires from 2002 and they're already at the wear bar, so its time for them to go anyway and 'tis the season for winter tires!
GenVibe Global Moderator

redlava

Re: (Sputnik)

Post by redlava »

Depends on how fast or slow the leak is. When I was driving my first car, I would routinely get nails and other things stuck in the tires. They were mostly slow leaks and every week or so I would have to put in 10 pounds of air. When I finally had to change my tires the fix it guy counted 18 separate hole patches in 1 tire alone! If you think you have to replace the entire because of a screw, you don't just $20 and a few minutes of your time. If it is flat, just pump some air into it and you should be good to drive on it to the shop. Just don't take the screw out, it's what is keeping the air in.
Mase

Post by Mase »

Get a can of Fix-a-Flat, purge the air out of your tire then fill it up with the Fix-a-Flat. Be sure to tell the tire place about the FaF when you get it repaired.
Altus

Re: (Mase)

Post by Altus »

I had a nail or screw or some other sort of metal object in one of my tires for a good 3 weeks before the thing actually went flat overnight. My only warning before I noticed the metal was the weekend before the tire was low, so I pumped it up and it held. Took a week, but came out one morning next weekend, and it was dead flat.So bottom line is - don't know. I'd say keep driving on it until it does... Or if you simply can't take the not knowing, a plug & patch repair at a Wal-Mart garage is ~$20 (Canadian).
2003 Shadow Vibe -- Alloys, Auto, and Allota fun!Vibe #4,873Sadly, traded-in for a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan
Atomb

Post by Atomb »

i had a screw in my tire once...i think i drove for about a week. I heard the tapping sound and thought it was just a rock in the tread. then one day (about a week later) it bothered me that it was making the tapping sound. so i set out to remove the 'rock' and saw that it was a screw!No pressure loss during this time.got it fixed for 10 or 15 dollars. they just put a plug in it. i would do that and pay the 20 bucks than risk having the tire do something stupid while on the highway at 100km/h.it would be horrible to be sitting on the side of the road with the vibe in a ditch wishing you had just spent the 20bucks to hold things together until the 13th!PS: you're at 2999 posts Sputnik!!
I have signatures turned off so I'm not even sure what mine says in this space!
zionzr2

Post by zionzr2 »

On my previous S-10 I found a screw in the tread after a tapping noise then switched to the full sized spare and took the tire to the dealer and they checked it out removed the screw and the tire was fine. it did not even penetrate all the way and they sent me on my way.
Sputnik

Re: (Atomb)

Post by Sputnik »

Quote, originally posted by Atomb »PS: you're at 2999 posts Sputnik!!I guess this is 3000 then! So the tire is gone. The tire didn't lose any pressure overnight so we were able to get it to the tire place. They put on my snows and disposed of the crapinental... I mean continental tires. I'll get new ones in the spring!
GenVibe Global Moderator

Mrizzle05

Re: (Sputnik)

Post by Mrizzle05 »

HAHA!!! looks like you modded!gotta change your sig now... you got....... SNOW tires!
Must resist.... V... Tec.... Temptation... to strong... "WARNING: Genvibe is a very addictive website... constant use can result in car modification and a lowering of your bank account. use with extreme caution!http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2298639
Sputnik

Re: (Mrizzle05)

Post by Sputnik »

Quote, originally posted by Mrizzle05 »HAHA!!! looks like you modded!gotta change your sig now... you got....... SNOW tires! LOL!I have snow tires every year except the first year I had the Vibe.
GenVibe Global Moderator