Slotted dimpled brakes, should they be loud???...

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
robdog

Slotted dimpled brakes, should they be loud???...

Post by robdog »

Have some new slotteddimpled rotors. They stop great....BUT, when driving I can hear a ticking sound, more noticeable when a structure is on my side, it is not overbearing by any means but it is noticeable when the window is down....Just wondering is this normal for this type of brake setup? New pads as well... Any thougths
03, Abyss monotone GT, 6 disk changer, moon and tunes, Cargo mat/nets, power package, side airbags, AEM Short Ram Intake, Borla exhaust , 35% tint all around, F1 strut tower brace, debadged, 17" Excel rims w/ federal ss595 tires.
robdog

Re: Slotted dimpled brakes, should they be loud???... (robdog)

Post by robdog »

Well, anyone? 3 days and no response, what is up with no info, usually somebody just chimes in even if they don't know the answer.
03, Abyss monotone GT, 6 disk changer, moon and tunes, Cargo mat/nets, power package, side airbags, AEM Short Ram Intake, Borla exhaust , 35% tint all around, F1 strut tower brace, debadged, 17" Excel rims w/ federal ss595 tires.
djb383

Post by djb383 »

Just a guess, but you might check the rotors for run-out (wobble) with a dial meter. Excessive run-out will cause the pads to move ever so slightly back and forth which could possibly cause noise. Again, just a guess.Does the noise stop when the brakes are applied?
'05 Lava Tutone base, Pwr Grp, Moon & Tunes, 16" alloys, Auto.....Yep, it's gotta HEMI
joholste

Re: Slotted dimpled brakes, should they be loud???... (djb383)

Post by joholste »

hmmm sorry i didn't see this earlier...when i had a problem with mine it sounded like a squeal after putting a new rotor on.
2003 Chevy Silverado Ext. Cab, Z71Formerly2003 Base Vibe (Frosty)
NUBlackshirts

Post by NUBlackshirts »

A ticking sound? Are you absolutely certain it isn't a rock caught in your tire tread?
'04 Frosty GT <---Click here!Tein S-Tech springs; Tokico HP struts;Progress rear sway bar; DC Sports strut tower bar;Scion TC wheels; K&N Typhoon intake;GG Racing ground wires; JAW voltage stabilizer;FilterMAG SS-250; Militec-1; Sirius Satellite Radio
djb383

Re: Slotted dimpled brakes, should they be loud???... (NUBlackshirts)

Post by djb383 »

Quote, originally posted by NUBlackshirts »A ticking sound? Are you absolutely certain it isn't a rock caught in your tire tread?Excellent!
'05 Lava Tutone base, Pwr Grp, Moon & Tunes, 16" alloys, Auto.....Yep, it's gotta HEMI
robdog

Re: Slotted dimpled brakes, should they be loud???... (djb383)

Post by robdog »

Yes, I am absolutely sure it is not a rock. It is more noticeable when the brakes are applied. I guess that is the way they are. A friend of mine says the same thing that he had them on a car of his and they were loud as well. I just wanted some opinions if anyone else had this type of brake on the vibe. Thanks for getting back.
Atomb

Post by Atomb »

i've got drilled rotors...not slotted.they are generally 'louder' than normal rotors while braking. There's almost a 'hollow' sound to them whick i recently found out is louder in the car than out (if driving past a person for example).
I have signatures turned off so I'm not even sure what mine says in this space!
NUBlackshirts

Re: (Atomb)

Post by NUBlackshirts »

That's interesting. Squealing and/or grinding noises I know, but ticking is a new one for me. DJB383's idea on checking the run-out definitely has merit. I don't know anything else that would cause something like that...sorry.
'04 Frosty GT <---Click here!Tein S-Tech springs; Tokico HP struts;Progress rear sway bar; DC Sports strut tower bar;Scion TC wheels; K&N Typhoon intake;GG Racing ground wires; JAW voltage stabilizer;FilterMAG SS-250; Militec-1; Sirius Satellite Radio
robdog

Re: (NUBlackshirts)

Post by robdog »

Is there a certain direction that these are supposed to go on? They were not marked. There was nothing in the directions for the way they were supposed to face. The way the slots are supposed to go. Would this make a difference in sound? Any thoughts on that.?
jasonvibe

Post by jasonvibe »

Having motorcycles with slotted and drilled rotors. Yes, some noise..."clicking"is not unusual. The more aggresive the pads the more noise. ie. metallic vs ceramic. "EE" vs "FF".
2005 AWD PlatinumAlloys, Moon & TunesPower group...just enough to be fun
LavaMyVibe

Re: (robdog)

Post by LavaMyVibe »

Quote, originally posted by robdog »Is there a certain direction that these are supposed to go on? They were not marked. There was nothing in the directions for the way they were supposed to face. The way the slots are supposed to go. Would this make a difference in sound? Any thoughts on that.?There seems to definitely be a left and right rotor for slotted brakes (at least for these Brembo's) also, the instructions say..."The slots are angled to use the rotors’ direction of rotation to enhance their performance, which makes the rotors side-specific with left and right side rotors."A quick Google search, I found lots of complaints about ticking, clicking, chirping (like Cicada )http://www.tirerack.com/brakes...=null what kind of rotors do you have on there?
Lava Vibe GTwheel lockshome made cargo matbaby seat15 " Pirelly Winter Carving tiresbrass shifter bushing
pmarte

Re: (LavaMyVibe)

Post by pmarte »

My 03 Vibe has 107k on it and I recently noticed the ticking. I had the tires rotated about a month ago and suspect the lugs might be over torqued-warping the rotors...
DavidPIL

Re:

Post by DavidPIL »

Hey...Yeah, I've had the ticking before on ever so slight presses of the Brakes but it would go away the more firmly I pressed. I found that my rear Calipers/Brake lines needed to be bled. The caliper had some give in it to where I could push it in about 1/8" then the Pad on the caliper would be very lose. I had taken it in to several shops and they couldn't figure it out. Me and a neighbor did the bleeding and it went away.I do though notice a slight squeak now when the lugs are overly tightened. it's not a continual squeak but more like a chirp-chirp-chirp as the wheel goes around (till they warm up a little) I know this is normal for the first drive of the day but it's more noticable when they lugs aren't tightened right.So, it could be a combination of what I've had or something totally different so check the brake lines for air and check the lugs for proper tightening (76 ftlbs).Dave
4azdmunky

Post by 4azdmunky »

My Saturn did the same, the petal even pulsed a little when stopping. However it only did it with ceramic brake pads.
Atomb

Post by Atomb »

interesting...i'm finding the same and i have ceramic pads also.do you think that when i switch to 'normal pads' that'll stop?
I have signatures turned off so I'm not even sure what mine says in this space!