Horn not working.

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
CUV03

Horn not working.

Post by CUV03 »

I have an aftermarket horn (wolo) and it stopped working. I checked air compressor, fuse, relay, and all are good. The only thing I can think of doing next is removing the airbag and checking the contacts or whatever is behind the airbag. My question is how I remove the airbag without causing them to deploy.
CAN-AWD-VIBE

Re: Horn not working. (CUV03)

Post by CAN-AWD-VIBE »

no offence... if you don't know pay someone who does.you will need power to be on to test circuits... touch the wrong one and POP goes the head! Well maybe not, but still.I doubt it is the problem anyway, check those power and grounds again, check that relay and check the comp. If it's not anything about the horn install then take it in to someone who knows about airbags.Check your work though because the mechanic loves to take money for repairing bad wiring, or a fuse.CAN-AWD-VIBE
CAN-AWD-VIBE03 Neptune AWDInjen CAI, Hotchkis springs, custom magnaflow exhaust w/4" tip, tint, window deflectors, stubby antenna, 3pc Mr. Grille, foglight conversion mod, Grafxwerks front & steering wheels overlays, Injen oil cap, strut tower brace, P225/45R17 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, 17" ADR Sokudos
2002sportside

Re: Horn not working. (CAN-AWD-VIBE)

Post by 2002sportside »

^ I'm with him. Is the horn getting 12v when the button is depressed? You didn't say how you tested this stuff. Start with the simple stuff...Disabling the airbag is a semi-long seven step (at least) procedure... Not all that easy to explain without the pictures that go along with it.
2005 Moonstone Base Vibe 38k as of October, 2010 (41k as of 7-15-11)Moon & Tunes, power package, automatic, center console power port added
joatmon

Re: Horn not working. (2002sportside)

Post by joatmon »

The horn button should supply a ground when pressed, open when not pressed, and in the stock setup that is connected to one side of the horn relay coil, +12V to the other side of the relay coil. I'd check that point to make sure that you see a ground switched in when you press the horn button before taking the steering wheel apart.air compressor? I bet that is a loud horn There is probably a thread here somewhere about disabling the airbag system, might be tricky to find the right keywords to use n the search tool though.
scherry2

Post by scherry2 »

do you have air coming out of the compressor? if so, it sounds like the horns themselves.
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

DO NOT screw around with the airbags. The problem is not likely in the wheel. It's somewhere in your setup. Put back the stock horn and test it. If that works, you'll know where your problem lies.
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
3.6L V6 (256 HP @ 6300 rpm, 248 ft-lbs. @ 2100 rpm)
CUV03

Post by CUV03 »

I have had this horn on my car for alittle over 3 years and no problems. I replaced the fuse, swapped the horn relay with a known relay, put new leads on, wired the compressor straight to the battery (compressor works), but horn still doesn't work. I was just checking to see if anyone has experienced this or if it was an easy task. Talked to pontiac dealer and they want $135 for labor and $695 for a new air bag (contacts are on back of house or something like that, was to lost in the price to listen anymore). Thanks for the advice everyone.
CUV03

Re: Horn not working. (joatmon)

Post by CUV03 »

joatmon, it has put a few people out of their skin. HAHAHA
CAN-AWD-VIBE

Post by CAN-AWD-VIBE »

if she wont blow with direct power with the compressor working I would say the horn itself is your problem.definitely not in the steering wheel contacts
CAN-AWD-VIBE03 Neptune AWDInjen CAI, Hotchkis springs, custom magnaflow exhaust w/4" tip, tint, window deflectors, stubby antenna, 3pc Mr. Grille, foglight conversion mod, Grafxwerks front & steering wheels overlays, Injen oil cap, strut tower brace, P225/45R17 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, 17" ADR Sokudos
CUV03

Post by CUV03 »

I connected the compressor directly to the battery and it blows.
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

Quote, originally posted by CUV03 »I connected the compressor directly to the battery and it blows.I am having a brain fart, so I apologize if you mentioned this...Have you checked ALL your wiring for corrosion? I had a pair of Hellas on my Vibe and they just up and stopped working. When I connected them direct to the battery, they blew fine. Traced all my wiring, found one of the connections close to the horn had corroded through entirely from road salt...it was well taped and capped, but somehow still corroded...In any case, it can't hurt to check that. I honestly doubt the problem is in the wheel...that's just not something that I can see going bad because it's so...well...un-technical. No moving parts...
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
CAN-AWD-VIBE

Post by CAN-AWD-VIBE »

Quote, originally posted by CUV03 »I connected the compressor directly to the battery and it blows.the compressor blows or you can get the horn to blow?
CUV03

Post by CUV03 »

The compressor is fine... It blows and the horns make a very loud tone (as they are suppose to) when connected directly to the battery.
CUV03

Re: Horn not working. (ragingfish)

Post by CUV03 »

Yes, I put new leads on the wires. After I did that they worked intermittently. About a day after that they would not work at all. When you pushed the horn the relay would click but no sound. I am not really wanting to pay a mechanic to fix this... $$$$$$$$$$$$
CAN-AWD-VIBE

Post by CAN-AWD-VIBE »

it's still not behind the airbag... you are getting power and they worked with new wires... then something happened to make them stop working again.I still blame a bad ground or wire (even though you just replaced them) or even that relay now.Are you a solder and heat-shrink kind of guy or is everything (removed)-connected together? Maybe the wire you just fixed is loose in the connector again? Maybe that relay is screwed and it's just a crappy coincidence.You are closer now then before... electrical diag is sometimes the most frustrating of all.
CUV03

Post by CUV03 »

Put new leads on twice and swapped relays. I even put the relay that runs the horn into a different jack and all the items associated with it work fine. I have taken notice that my lower portion of my steering wheel (horn) does not move very much when pressed.
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

You said above that if you push the wheel, you hear the relay click, but no horn.That's your proof! If the relay clicks, the switch is completing the loop, and the problem is not in the wheel.

2009 PONTIAC G8
CUV03

Re: Horn not working. (ragingfish)

Post by CUV03 »

Yes, it was clicking, but no longer...
CAN-AWD-VIBE

Post by CAN-AWD-VIBE »

well I guess you better take it in to a Tech then.My horn button hardly moves at all at the bottom and everything is all good on mine. (except for the wuss OEM horn I still have)I'm out of ideas and still not sure about a couple things, but since I don't live anywhere near you... I'm done.(removed)-connectors are evil... change them if you said huh? to this...Quote, originally posted by CAN-AWD-VIBE »Are you a solder and heat-shrink kind of guy or is everything (removed)-connected together? Quote, originally posted by CAN-AWD-VIBE »Check your work though because the mechanic loves to take money for repairing bad wiring, or a fuse.Nothing make me happier then someone brings in their car with an alarm and the vehicle wont start. Then I get a hold of it charge 2hrs to remove the alarm and it's crappy install. Professional Install LOL, pros don't use crimp connectors or scotch lock wire taps.If you are sure its nothing you added then take it in. I still wouldnt worry too much about needing the clock spring though. Let me know what they end up finding, because this seems different.