Opinions on S.U.V.'s

Discussions about other vehicles other than the Vibe & Matrix.
tangerine

Opinions on S.U.V.'s

Post by tangerine »

Since things have changed in the last few months with the car choice falling through because I'm dating a girl with a kid and to me that is more important now than building a race car I need some help finding an S.U.V. that will comfortably seat 4 adults and safely secure a car seat but also have some power to it for if I'm alone or with friends and go to the race nights the police setup a month ago. I'm trading the SS so I can finally get rid of it since my dad said he would feel safer if I had a safer vehicle with a baby in back because I would never be able to forgive myself if anything happened. What do you guys think would be a good S.U.V. (or even roomy car) to look into? So far I'v looked at the Dodge Magnum R/T and the Cherokee SRT8 and both were quite nice and my insurance would go from $680-$412 with an SRT magnum or cherokee because they have alot of safety features...but I need to weigh options before I jump into a vehicle choice. My dad said he'd help pay for half until I get my settlement so I can get away from that vehicle and just use my settlement to buy a nice house instead of building a car since I got taken to the cleaners on the house I purchased last month. With the money I have saved, and the amount I was told I'd get for trade-in when I had it estimated at 3 dealers, and the bit my dad said he would help with my budget is roughly $40,000 after tax/title. Any imput/help would be greatly appreciated, I'm tierd of going into car dealerships w/o getting info first.
04 Fusion Orange Base Vibe auto Now no longer with us thanks to ignorant drivers...
BlueCrush

Re: Opinions on S.U.V.'s (tangerine)

Post by BlueCrush »

A $40,000 vehicle? Your only 21 you responsibilies are increasing. Why not just get another Vibe? It seats 4 comfortably with a child seat. It has a proven safety record as you know. Gets way better gas mileage and if you need more power just add the S/C. Then take the extra money you saved and add it to the coffers for a future house. The gas expense on a large SUV would be killer. The ones you named are pretty cool suv's. Of those, I would get the Magnum. Good luck with what ever you choose, though.
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
tangerine

Post by tangerine »

Vibe was on my choice but there isn't alot of room in the back for people 6' and taller. I rode in the back seat of mine a few times and was cramped, and that was the drawback.
04 Fusion Orange Base Vibe auto Now no longer with us thanks to ignorant drivers...
NascarXprt

Re: Opinions on S.U.V.'s (BlueCrush)

Post by NascarXprt »

+1 with ehat Blue Crush said.
My '04 Garage - My '06 Garage - My '09 GT Garage
November 2006 MOTM / February 2007 VOTM / April 2010 VOTM / June 2011 VOTM
GMJAP

Post by GMJAP »

What about a Subaru Legacy or something in that class?
2005 Platinum Base ManualSide & Curtain AirbagsABSPower PackageTinted Windows"Mods": 'old-style' center armrest, center +12v, wheelskins leather steering wheel, AC/Recirc blue backlight, beeps on keyless entry, dome light switch, AC insulation, PCD10 10-disc CD/MP3 changer, AAI-GM12 AUX audio input, K&N filter, "shark fin" antenna.
NascarXprt

Re: Opinions on S.U.V.'s (GMJAP)

Post by NascarXprt »

or maybe even the Torrent or Equinox
My '04 Garage - My '06 Garage - My '09 GT Garage
November 2006 MOTM / February 2007 VOTM / April 2010 VOTM / June 2011 VOTM
tangerine

Re: Opinions on S.U.V.'s (NascarXprt)

Post by tangerine »

Quote, originally posted by NascarXprt »or maybe even the Torrent or EquinoxNot enough leg room even for the driver. I had one as a rental a while back and hated it. I dunno I'm sick of looking for a vehicle.
slvrvibes

Post by slvrvibes »

How about a Tahoe?
genvibe garage
tangerine

Post by tangerine »

Hmm, totally forgot about the Tahoe, the new 07 is pretty nice.
slvrvibes

Re: (tangerine)

Post by slvrvibes »

Yeah, I didn't care too much for the new fronts, but they have grown on me and I think I like them better than the past model.
genvibe garage
tangerine

Post by tangerine »

I'll have to test drive them all and have one of my friends who are tall come with me to set in the back and see if its roomy. I'm used to horrible gas milage getting 6-9mpg from my SS but I expect to get a tad better than that with an SUV. I'd like to see a Cherokee but the Jeep dealer said they have only had one in stock since they came out
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

If you must absofrickenlutely have some SUV... I vote 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe... 3rd row seating, gobs of standard safety gear - side and side curtain air bags, stability control, etc. etc... Lots of comfort and convenience stuff. 242 HP/226 lbs, so you won't get much of your must have ballsy, manly performance crap but you will get 24 MPG highway. The most expensive version leaves you $12K to put toward something actually meaningful. I wouldn't spend more than $30K if I were in your shoes... Preferably way under that if possible, but you know what's best for you.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

What about a Saturn Vue Red line? I also love my dads ford escape and fords new 3.5L duratec should be out by the end of the year with like 360hp/240-250 lbs torq. or a new vibe
michaelgt

Post by michaelgt »

I would suggest you consider the Tahoe or Yukon. You can get it with many safety features, including roof-rail airbags with rollover protection. With active fuel management, the gas mileage should be decent. Remember, I can get you a GM in the Driveway certificate, so you can buy at that price.
mcgusto82

Re: (michaelgt)

Post by mcgusto82 »

i want to recommend the Acura MDX. I had one last yr. i loved it. I'm 5.10 and there was plenty of room left, plus mpg is 20 combined.Also, there is a standard 3rd row seat.
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

do people actually use the 3rd row of seating? Everytime i had to get back there i didnt fit and it was hard as heck to crawl back there. Id rather have a 2 rows and then a large back end for space to put stuff.
drunkenmaxx

Post by drunkenmaxx »

there are many kick (removed) full size cars with tons of room you could get with that kind of cash, just something to think about.
chew aura pizza cheat main"the world in my hands, there's noone left to hear you scream, noone's there for you"
ZubenElGenubi

Post by ZubenElGenubi »

Wowsers...$40K budget?!! Well, my gut feeling is that you should consider the smallest, most economical SUV with the most convenience. You don't want to be suckin' down gas at $3.50-$4.00/gallon next year.For practicality, I really like the new RAV4. No third row, but excellent mileage and ride height for a small SUV. V6 option for 2006+ models. Gonna be around $23-$27K well-equipped. For styling alone, I pick the Mazda CX-7. Has to be about the sleekest-looking SUV on the road today. But you pay for the sizzle: starts at $24K and will run about $26-$30K well-equipped.Now, if you're willing to wait a bit, and just gotta spend the dough, I'd seriously look at the new Acura RDX. First turbocharged Acura ever and darn if it doesn't looks like a Vibe (just a little larger in all dimensions)! But it starts at $33K and could run up your full budget of $40K ( )But, I just gotta ask: How many six-foot persons do you intend to drive around in your car? And how many times will you be riding in the back yourself? Answer these questions honestly, and you may find that the Vibe may still be the best car for you.Good Luck!
NUBlackshirts

Post by NUBlackshirts »

My best advice would be to watch how much you spend on a SUV. It's getting to the point around here that dealers are having trouble selling used ones due to the gas prices. Your resale value on a SUV will be about nil here in a couple more years. I would look into one of the "crossover" types, or at least something with decent gas mileage. Also, make note that the SRT8 versions of Dodge vehicles do not have the "Multi-Displacement System", so gas mileage will suffer a bit.
'04 Frosty GT <---Click here!Tein S-Tech springs; Tokico HP struts;Progress rear sway bar; DC Sports strut tower bar;Scion TC wheels; K&N Typhoon intake;GG Racing ground wires; JAW voltage stabilizer;FilterMAG SS-250; Militec-1; Sirius Satellite Radio
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

oh yea mazda cx7 is kick but!!
ToolGuy

Post by ToolGuy »

Get a dual fuel or E85 compatible SUV if you are going to get one,Stay away from the SRT vehicles! They get crappy fuel mileage and your insurance will go up as you noted. Why get a V8 with these gas prices, which will only go up! Unless all you want is power then but your wallet better be able to support it too. My opinion, I had two SUV's and that was enough. No more for me...
tangerine

Post by tangerine »

I don't 'have' to spend $40k, and would like to spend lower but with the price of vehicles I had to make a maximum limit I'd be willing to spend. As for how many 6' people would be riding in the back...I'm 6'3, all but one of my friends are over 6' except for one who is 5'3 (he makes a great armrest). Until I get my settlement and buy a house I'm living with a friend and paying 1/2 his rent so I can get the ambition to start doing things againa nd getting my life back after beign layed up for so long and when we go out everyone rides in my vehicle because his car couldn't seat a midget comfortably in the back. I also don't 'have' to get an SUV but they tend to be the most roomy and I figured wold be a great weekend cruiser. The SRT8's I looked at beat the gas guzzler tax so that was a plus, I still like to do car shows so I was also looking for something with a unique style. Now I think its between the SRT, a used Denali, a used CTS, Santa fe or waiting until this winter when dealers are flooded with 07's and need to get the 06's out. Buying a car was soo much easier when I was in highschool and all I had to worry about was looks and if I could fit subs in there...
Kari

Re: (northvibe)

Post by Kari »

Quote, originally posted by northvibe »do people actually use the 3rd row of seating? Everytime i had to get back there i didnt fit and it was hard as heck to crawl back there. Id rather have a 2 rows and then a large back end for space to put stuff. James and I have sat in the 3rd row of my dad's Trailblazer extended...it's actually really comfortable and it's not hard to get back there at all. I find it better than the 2nd row because it sits up higher so I can see better.I would vote for the Trailblazer as another option. My parents love them so much they have bought three since the first model year. They had one of the first ones, then mom leased a 2004 when her lease was up on her Blazer. Then dad bought a new extended version for his fly fishing guide service business to make it easier to haul more people and equipment. They love them. And they are well within your budget.
GenVibe Global Moderator
tangerine

Re: Opinions on S.U.V.'s (MiVibe-ToolGuy)

Post by tangerine »

Quote, originally posted by MiVibe-ToolGuy »Get a dual fuel or E85 compatible SUV if you are going to get one,Stay away from the SRT vehicles! They get crappy fuel mileage and your insurance will go up as you noted. Why get a V8 with these gas prices, which will only go up! Unless all you want is power then but your wallet better be able to support it too. My opinion, I had two SUV's and that was enough. No more for me...SRT8 drops my insurance, and they get better gas milage than I get now, and better than most SUVs. 16mpg is better than 9
ramenboy...

Post by ramenboy... »

your girlfriend's got a 6' baby?!?!?!!?! i'd go for the mazda cx-7. good looks, and well within your budget
de-badged o4 vibe
tein s-techs | 17" msr 105 wheels | 235 45 17 nexen n7000
weapon-r short ram (thanx BC!) | typeR sport pedals | LED 3rd brake
o2 triumph speed four
northvibe

Re: (ramenboy...)

Post by northvibe »

Quote, originally posted by ramenboy... »your girlfriend's got a 6' baby?!?!?!!?! i'd go for the mazda cx-7. good looks, and well within your budgetand its turbo
tangerine

Post by tangerine »

and its ugly
NUBlackshirts

Post by NUBlackshirts »

Quote, originally posted by tangerine »SRT8 drops my insurance, and they get better gas milage than I get now, and better than most SUVs. 16mpg is better than 9 Holy crap! I would just drive around in an old 60's - 70's muscle car for that kind of gas mileage! Of course, good luck fitting anyone in the back!
'04 Frosty GT <---Click here!Tein S-Tech springs; Tokico HP struts;Progress rear sway bar; DC Sports strut tower bar;Scion TC wheels; K&N Typhoon intake;GG Racing ground wires; JAW voltage stabilizer;FilterMAG SS-250; Militec-1; Sirius Satellite Radio
ToolGuy

Re: Opinions on S.U.V.'s (NUBlackshirts)

Post by ToolGuy »

Must have either a real heavy foot or something is wrong with it to get 9 MPG! SS what? Really, what is the SS? Blazer SS? 300C SRT8 gets 14 city... The Chrysler Aspen SUV gets that city itself.
tangerine

Post by tangerine »

SS silverado. Thats 9mpg with cruise on highway. Roughly 6 if I drive in town.
Kari

Post by Kari »

Why ignore the Trailblazer? It gets pretty good mileage for a larger SUV.
GenVibe Global Moderator
tangerine

Re: (Kari)

Post by tangerine »

Quote, originally posted by Kari »Why ignore the Trailblazer? It gets pretty good mileage for a larger SUV.Uncomfortable seats for my back. My brother owwns one and I can't ride in it for very long.
Mrizzle05

Post by Mrizzle05 »

why not get a good car you like at a reasonable price... then spend a grand and get some custom seats made to suit your back!Seems like the best solution... then youll have comfortability of the seats and the quality of the car you like. (Just an opinion)
Must resist.... V... Tec.... Temptation... to strong... "WARNING: Genvibe is a very addictive website... constant use can result in car modification and a lowering of your bank account. use with extreme caution!http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2298639
michaelgt

Post by michaelgt »

There must be something wrong with this SS. The 6.0l trucks get closer to 14 on the highway unloaded. My 8.1 (in Yukon XL with 4sp auto) gets 12 on the highway (it gets higher if I stay under 60)!
djb383

Post by djb383 »

We purchased a '06 Saturn Vue V6 3 mos. ago and really enjoy it. Has 3500 lb. tow rating and rated at 20 city/28 hwy. Honda engine and tranny, 3.5L V6 and 5 speed auto. Same engine/tranny as Acura MDX, Honda Pilot, Odyssey & Ridgeline and it will definitely 'haul the mail' (250HP) quickly. All power, XM radio and Onstar are standard. Insurance is cheaper than the Vibe. Invest the other half of your money in good growth mutual funds. Good luck in your search.
'05 Lava Tutone base, Pwr Grp, Moon & Tunes, 16" alloys, Auto.....Yep, it's gotta HEMI
ToolGuy

Re: (michaelgt)

Post by ToolGuy »

Quote, originally posted by michaelgt »There must be something wrong with this SS. The 6.0l trucks get closer to 14 on the highway unloaded. My 8.1 (in Yukon XL with 4sp auto) gets 12 on the highway (it gets higher if I stay under 60)! Rigth! The GM site states 14/19 MPG but of course that can very.
tangerine

Post by tangerine »

My SS isn't stock, thats one reason the gas milage is so low. Does anyone make Diesil SUV's?
Mrizzle05

Post by Mrizzle05 »

OT: i love the avatar tangering.... (removed)!On topic: i dont know of any diesel suv's
Must resist.... V... Tec.... Temptation... to strong... "WARNING: Genvibe is a very addictive website... constant use can result in car modification and a lowering of your bank account. use with extreme caution!http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2298639
tangerine

Post by tangerine »

heh thanks. The only Diesel SUV I found on Edmunds saw a Jeep Liberty which I wouldn't drive if it was given to me. I thought Ford had a Diesel Expedition.
northvibe

Re: (Mrizzle05)

Post by northvibe »

Quote, originally posted by Mrizzle05 »OT: i love the avatar tangering.... (removed)!On topic: i dont know of any diesel suv'soff topic = ot = on topic hahhahah yea i dont..WAIT WAIT jeep is making some! and there should be more out in 2007 when the low sulfur comes out in the US.
mcgusto82

Re: (northvibe)

Post by mcgusto82 »

yeah, jeep is bringing a new cherokee diesel. i hate the trail blazers. specially the extended one's. UGLY! the man just wants a big body car. but you're allover the place. decide on what's more important. luxury, utility, room, style. then search for that.
TRDman

Re: (mcgusto82)

Post by TRDman »

I've got to agree with mcgusto here. Set up criteria for what you want, and search there. But, if you can waive the power requirement you mentioned in the first post, then a Mazda5 would work nicely. More than enough room for 4 adults, good gas mileage, probably a pretty good cruiser; in short, all you need. It isn't the sexiest vehicle around, but it's got all the practicality for a fairly low price.
Mrizzle05

Re: (TRDman)

Post by Mrizzle05 »

theres also the nissan murano! i love the looks and its a suv and its got some juevos (balls).
binary

Re: Opinions on S.U.V.'s (ColonelPanic)

Post by binary »

Quote, originally posted by ColonelPanic »If you must absofrickenlutely have some SUV... I vote 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe... 3rd row seating, gobs of standard safety gear - side and side curtain air bags, stability control, etc. etc... Lots of comfort and convenience stuff. 242 HP/226 lbs, so you won't get much of your must have ballsy, manly performance crap but you will get 24 MPG highway. The most expensive version leaves you $12K to put toward something actually meaningful. I wouldn't spend more than $30K if I were in your shoes... Preferably way under that if possible, but you know what's best for you.Sorry CP, I drove a SF... and even with the high output engine... it was a dog. I hated the build... everything rattled and it was new! But maybe I got a lemon on the lot. I left it hanging on the tree.Seriously though - $40k for a ride? Maybe you need to be perusing the BMW or Porche's used lot.
VibeoFive

Post by VibeoFive »

For over all reliability, check out a Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 6 cylinder and part time 4WD...you'll get 20+mpg and plenty of room. Whatever you pick, make sure you get some kind of extended warranty!
ColonelPanic

Re: Opinions on S.U.V.'s (binary)

Post by ColonelPanic »

Was that the new generation '07 model? It's only been on dealer lots for ~2 months at best... I can see the old model being like that. But if it was the new one, that sucks! Hell, my $14K Accent was screwed together better than many things I've seen that are $20K+... It certainly was better built than my Vibe. If they didn't duplicate that with the new Santa Fe, uhhh.... I figured being built alongside the Sonata in AL, where they've been churning out some good cars over the last year, that the new Santa Fe would be just as good if not better...

Attached files
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
tangerine

Post by tangerine »

That Santa Fe is nice. I rode in once when my friends parents were visiting from Arizona when his daughter turned 1 last month. They were comfortable. I'll have to locate a dealer and check it out. I like the SRT Cherokee because its unique, awd, and I like the way it looks over the rest of the Jeep lineups...I like the Magnum because its roomy, comfortable, and had nice power..but it still reminds me of a hurse. I looked at an Infiniti FX last night and loved it as well.. My main points are comfort, safety, and styling. At this point I will sacrifice power.
drunkenmaxx

Post by drunkenmaxx »

ah yes, the FX, the murano's pimped out brother! i would take it in a heartbeat! (i love muranos)
chew aura pizza cheat main"the world in my hands, there's noone left to hear you scream, noone's there for you"
Mrizzle05

Re: (Mrizzle05)

Post by Mrizzle05 »

Quote, originally posted by Mrizzle05 »why not get a good car you like at a reasonable price... then spend a grand and get some custom seats made to suit your back!Seems like the best solution... then youll have comfortability of the seats and the quality of the car you like. (Just an opinion) Did you catch this one... just wondering if you grabbed a car you like and did custom seats?Then you can get a good midpriced suv and have seats that suit YOU.
tangerine

Post by tangerine »

Custom seats seem to be the best way to go, I agree..and they can be had for a decent price these days. The SRT8 Cherokee is off the list as I called 4 Jeep dealers and none of thenm see one coming in anytime soon and they said I could order one and see if I like it but I'd have to pay $1,000 to order it and I'm like..yea i'm gonna throw $1,000 away to order something and test drive it just to see if I like it or not. I looked into the Murano some more this morning before I went to work and they have some nice aftermarket support already. Bodykits, and Jim Wolf makes a twin turbo that fits it...lol