What exactly does this mean? (Similar Interests)

Let us know of any problems, suggestions, or questions you have about the GenVibe Website and Forums
ZubenElGenubi

What exactly does this mean? (Similar Interests)

Post by ZubenElGenubi »

When you look at a user profile, there is a link under User Statistics that says Users with Similar Interests (click this link to see what pops up when you look at my results)What exactly defines "similar interests"? There is not an obvious correlation between total number of posts and number of common posts, but there must be one to some degree. trdvibe's list is interesting. Mavrik is right at the top (expectedly so). What's really interesting is the number of persons who have trdvibe at the top of their list. On the other hand, if you look at joatmon's list, it is hardly populated at all, even though he has over 5000 posts. Similar results for silverawd26.So, what's up?There's a six-degrees-of-separation kinda of thing going on here.
joatmon

Re: What exactly does this mean? (ZubenElGenubi)

Post by joatmon »

It has something to do with your watched topics list. In the user options you can set whether you want to automatically watch topics you post in, and whether or not to hide your watched topics. I'm set to not automatically watch them, and to hide my list. It seems like there is a bug in the software, because I still occaisionally get a watched topic, right now I have the daylight savings time one, and the list of people "with similar interests" seem to be those that have also posted in that thread.occiasionally I go in and purge out any topics that have become watched, so that's why my list is small. I just deleted that one thread from my watched topics list, and now I have nobody with similar interests as me