Laptop AC Power

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
JustinVGT

Laptop AC Power

Post by JustinVGT »

I just bought a new laptop and it happens to have a 3 prong plug and the Vibe doesn't have the ground connection on the AC outlet. Has anyone else run into this problem? One idea I thought of is to buy one of those 3 prong to 2 prong adapters that you screw the ground onto your household outlet faceplate. Maybe I could run a wire under the dash, find a ground connection to attach it to and attach the other end to the adapter. Any other ideas?Thanks,
Justin 2003 Vibe GT - Mille Miglia Evo5 18x8 Wheels (now stock)- Magnaflow Cat-Back Exhaust (now stock)- Tein S-Tech Springs (now stock)- Injen CAI - Red Painted Calipers - Hella Supertone Horns - Polk Speakers - Bazooka RS8A-HP Sub - Kenwood Headunit - Still love my Vibe, but I've just turned it back into a basic daily driver.
KSNeptune

Re: Laptop AC Power (JustinVGT)

Post by KSNeptune »

Use the adapter, and simply leave the ground lead dangling. You don't have a truly AC grounded option in a moving car. Just try to avoid static shocking the laptop while it's plugged in.KSNeptune
JustinVGT

Re: Laptop AC Power (KSNeptune)

Post by JustinVGT »

I always get a static shock when I exit my car and touch the door, especially in the dryer winter months. My laptop has a magnesium case, so if I touch it, it'll get a shock. You know how expensive laptops can be to fix, and I just want to make sure I don't damage it. Anyone else not grounding their laptops or other accessories that they plug in?
Justin 2003 Vibe GT - Mille Miglia Evo5 18x8 Wheels (now stock)- Magnaflow Cat-Back Exhaust (now stock)- Tein S-Tech Springs (now stock)- Injen CAI - Red Painted Calipers - Hella Supertone Horns - Polk Speakers - Bazooka RS8A-HP Sub - Kenwood Headunit - Still love my Vibe, but I've just turned it back into a basic daily driver.
Vibe Rater

Post by Vibe Rater »

quote:One idea I thought of is to buy one of those 3 prong to 2 prong adapters that you screw the ground onto your household outlet faceplate. Maybe I could run a wire under the dash, find a ground connection to attach it to and attach the other end to the adapter.I think you answered your own question. If it was a shaver or a vibrator, I wouldn't worry about the groung. Because it's a computer, and static can be a killer, I would ground it somehow. Find some metal under the dash and connect to it, like you said.
Chazb

Post by Chazb »

Justin does the laptop work correctly in the vibe.I just bought one myself but it only has two prongs but I bought a surge protector made for laptops at the same time.
JustinVGT

Re: Laptop AC Power (Chazb)

Post by JustinVGT »

I still haven't tried my laptop in my Vibe yet. I want to get more information before I risk trying. I may be going on a long road trip for spring break down to Panama City, FL (almost 1k miles!) and was planning on bringing it so maybe my friends can watch movies. One thing I was wondering is that it is a three prong plug, but you know the part that connects to the laptop, there is only positive and negative. I wonder how important it is to have the grounder connected? So, are you saying your surge protector is a three prong?Later,
millster

Post by millster »

The only thing the ground would help is the power supply itself, making it more of a safety aspect for you than the machine. The power coming out the end going to the laptop is DC (Positive and Negative) no third lead. Also if you think about it, what would be the difference between running it off of a power supply non grounded and running it off of a battery. Any decent laptop is designed to take a little abuse, most have rubber surrounds on any moving bits and insulation around sensitive bits. I would say you stand a greater chance of dropping it on the way to the car or having it drop onto the floor from the seat than damaging it with static electricity.
-Millster-
2006 Toyota Matrix XR
1995 Saab 9000CSE 2.3T
1986 Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas (GM Drivetrain Conversion)
2007 Outback XT EJ257 2.6L Build
Chazb

Re: Laptop AC Power (millster)

Post by Chazb »

Naw it is only 2 prong.I like you am a little squeamish about hooking up my laptop to the vibe.I am going to do it sooner or later though and the laptop is under warranty....so whats there to lose.
millster

Re: Laptop AC Power (Chazb)

Post by millster »

I wouldn't be too worried about it. I've run both my iBook and my friends Compaq Presario in my Vibe for quite a while with no trouble whatsoever. In fact, my iBook goes with me on most road trips to be ready with a map in case I need it.
-Millster-
2006 Toyota Matrix XR
1995 Saab 9000CSE 2.3T
millster

Re: Laptop AC Power (silverawd26)

Post by millster »

It works. Won't give you turn-by-turn directions, but if I'm lost I simply pull over and check the map. Word of advice, make sure you save the whole web-page to your disk if you try this. I managed to save the first page, but the driving directions were continued on page two. Guess which page I needed. My next purchase is the Garmin Street Pilot III. I want that nav system too, but I wanted the Vibe too badly to wait to order one with it so I figured I could find an alternative. I think maybe I have. Here's a link to the Garmin. You can find it far cheaper elsewhere, this was just the first place I remembered. Pretty nice for a standalone.http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/electronic/32e5/
-Millster-
2006 Toyota Matrix XR
1995 Saab 9000CSE 2.3T
millster

Post by millster »

I've seen a few on Ebay before. My question is though, what about the GPS antenna?
-Millster-
2006 Toyota Matrix XR
1995 Saab 9000CSE 2.3T
NSimkins
Global Moderator

Re: Laptop AC Power (millster)

Post by NSimkins »

quote:My question is though, what about the GPS antenna? Going off topic.... but... The GPS antenna can be removed from the vehicle if you remove the entire dash board. (it *may* be accessible if the radio is removed, but I'm not sure... service manual states to remove the entire dash panel to access the antenna). The GPS antenna is mounted under the front most portion of the dash and includes a GPS antenna wire that is attached to the head unit. You should be able to buy the entire system as long as you get all the components.See attachment for diagram.

Attached files
millster

Re: Laptop AC Power (NSimkins)

Post by millster »

Good news to me! Thanks!
-Millster-
2006 Toyota Matrix XR
1995 Saab 9000CSE 2.3T
esjones

Post by esjones »

quote:I just bought a new laptop and it happens to have a 3 prong plug and the Vibe doesn't have the ground connection on the AC outlet. Has anyone else run into this problem? One idea I thought of is to buy one of those 3 prong to 2 prong adapters that you screw the ground onto your household outlet faceplate. The other posters here are correct.... you don't have to connect the grounding wire or tab of the adapter to anything. The concept of GROUND in an automobile is not the same as ground in your home or office. There just isn't any real ground. In automotive wiring, where we refer to "ground" as being the common frame, body, chassis, etc. it is not the same. Bottom line... you don't need the shock or surge protection afforded by the third wire in your computer's AC adapter when using it in the Vibe. Go ahead and enjoy! - Earl
- Earl Earl Jones, Sales and MarketingHorizon Systems LLChttp://www.horizonsystems.com/ Skype ID: esjonesMy Vibe: '03 Base, 5-speed, ABS, Alum. Wheels, Power Pkg, DVD Nav., Security, Neptune/Graphite
millster

Post by millster »

Silver,I'm stepping a bit off topic, but good news, I found a Nav for sale. The price is a little high, but you might be able to negotiate...http://www.matrixowners.com/modules.php ... c&t=4479Of course, you could always buy it brand new here...http://www.radiosandmore.com./prod_deta ... n=88972143
-Millster-
2006 Toyota Matrix XR
1995 Saab 9000CSE 2.3T