DIY trans fluid/filter change

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
ColonelPanic

DIY trans fluid/filter change

Post by ColonelPanic »

Anyone tackled changing the fluid and filter yourself on these cars? I stopped by AutoZone to see if they would happen to have a filter, but they didn't seem to have one listed in the book. There was one listed for the Matrix, but not the Vibe. I didn't bother to bring it up to a human, since they didn't even have the proper fluid for it anyway. Anybody have the GM part number for the filter? The dealer may be the best place to find one, I would imagine. Speaking of fluid, where can I get the proper stuff for this car without going to a Toyota dealer? If I have to get the filter from the GM dealer, I'll just get the fluid there too. I'd rather do that than get the stuff from Toyota anyway, that dealer here, ugh! The prices the Toyota place charges for fluids are through the roof. I know we have some drain and fill folks amongst us, but I don't recall if anyone has ever dropped the pan and slapped on a new filter themselves...The dealer wants 90 bucks to do this, so I'd rather do it myself and just spend money on fluid and the filter. That should cut the cost down considerably. I need all the money I can get to throw into other repairs for this car, so I'm trying to be a penny pincher and make the most out of what little money I have. TIA
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
MarkM04

Re: DIY trans fluid/filter change (ColonelPanic)

Post by MarkM04 »

I would just take out the plug, let it drain, then re-fill. If there isn't a filter listed, it probably doesn't have one, or one that needs to be replaced. It may have a screen type filter, but those don't need to be replaced.Pulling the plug only removes about half of the fluid, but it's better then not changine it at all. If you change it more frequenlty, you will keep a good supply of fresh atf in it. I think if you changed it every 30k miles, you'd be doing great.Amsoil is rated for the T-IV type fluid, but it's pretty expensive. Not sure how much the normal T-IV is from the dealer.
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

when does the vibe manual say to change the tranny fluid? im to lazy to walk out in the rain to my car's glove box
ColonelPanic

Re: (northvibe)

Post by ColonelPanic »

Pretty sure I read 60K somewhere, which is why I'm trying to get this figured out. Getting close to that point! I should have done a drain and fill quite some time ago. The more I think about it though, I guess I may scrape together the money so I can just throw the dealer $90 and let them deal with it. I'm lazy.

Image Image
MarkM04

Re: (ColonelPanic)

Post by MarkM04 »

Do you change your own oil. If so, just drain the tranny next time you're down there. Heck, it's easier then changing the only.
joatmon

Re: (ColonelPanic)

Post by joatmon »

Quote, originally posted by ColonelPanic »The more I think about it though, I guess I may scrape together the money so I can just throw the dealer $90 and let them deal with it. I'm lazy.after your post on changing the light bulb, that may be a good idea Are you required by your extended warranty to use the dealer for such service, or could you perhaps go to a lower cost transmission shop?
ColonelPanic

Re: (joatmon)

Post by ColonelPanic »

I *should* be able to take it wherever... I don't recall anything that stated otherwise. Being the GM warranty, I'd say it is similar to the original factory warranty, as long as it gets done and I have proof of that, then I should be good.And yes, the bulb incident has made me rethink about DIY crap on this car. I probably shouldn't tackle the brakes either. For the most part, these things snap together like legos, but they like to throw a wrench in to the work from time to time and you end up snapping those legos in half. lol

Image Image
Lancer

Post by Lancer »

I went to the dealer to get mine changed. It actually NEEDED a good flushing (9qts) cause of all the crap that was in it. And it DOES have a sceen type filter ($80). I opted to just have them clean it.
18" Enkei's & Kumho Ecsta's-------UNICHIP Eibach Sport springs----------Morroso oil pan Injen CAI & Oil cap----------Stage 2 FI cams Custom Exhaust-----------TRD Supercharger AEM alt. pulley -------JSP Carbon Fiber hood 380cc injectors----DC Sports ceramic header
ColonelPanic

Re: DIY trans fluid/filter change (Lancer)

Post by ColonelPanic »

Thanks for that info, that clears up a lot on the filter issue. How much did they charge you for the flush? I guess if I'm going to have someone do it, I might as well get it done right and go for the flush.

Image Image
ToolGuy

Post by ToolGuy »

CP I am going to this to mine soon...Went to the Toyota dlr to get a new gasket because I want to drain, remove the pan and clean the pan magnets and filter. The Toyota dlr said there are three different types of gaskets for the auto trans. I said what? He said get the VIN. I get the VIN and he said this is a GM car. I said yes I told you that the day before. He said well then if you get the stamping number off the trans I can help...Arggg.... I did not go to the GM dlr for price reasons. So now I am just debating on the drain and refill, no new gasket. The filter is cleanable once gotten to since it is more of a screen. For the fluid I did research and Murrays Auto stores sells the Toyota recommended and proper type. Havoline I believe is the maker but I have not bought it yet. The owners manual mentions the type and on the back of the fluid bottle it too mentions the type needed for Toyota's by the same number listed in the manual. Again, I will be dong this in the next couple of weeks...
jasonvibe

Post by jasonvibe »

First, this is a toyota tranny. Been around for a while. If it was a GM tranny, no gasket needed. Because GM uses reusable rubber gaskets which don't leak when istalled properly. I know, done it myself. All you should have to tell him is AWD or FWD and the date of MFG.
2005 AWD PlatinumAlloys, Moon & TunesPower group...just enough to be fun
ColonelPanic

Re: (jasonvibe)

Post by ColonelPanic »

Quote, originally posted by jasonvibe »First, this is a toyota trannyObviously, just feel the things shift... harsh!!! lol!

Image Image
ToolGuy

Re: DIY trans fluid/filter change (MiVibe-ToolGuy)

Post by ToolGuy »

Need to correct my own post here...Did the fluid change yesterday and the trans fluid is Valvoline and on the back of the bottle it states for Toyota trans T-IV which is what is needed.My fluid was dirty not burnt but dirty and I had to laugh because the dipstick has a label reading "no need to change under normal driving conditions". We drive the car under normal conditions but it still was dirty! I will be changing it every 25,000. For just $18 a change I rather do it and keep the trans healthy than not.
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Cool... Did you drop the pan and clean the filter, or just drain it out and refill?

Image Image
ToolGuy

Post by ToolGuy »

This time I did the drain and refill... I wanted to drop the pan and clean the screen and magnets but just did not feel like getting the new gasket.
zionzr2

Post by zionzr2 »

so according to the engine:Never need to put ATF in the Transmission. DO Put the ATF in the Power Stearing. Power stering does not contain red fluid.Scratching head!! What? Next am I suposed to put brake fluid in the coling system. Coolant in the gas tank. Oil in the brake cylinder and gas in the oil pan??
ToolGuy

Re: (zionzr2)

Post by ToolGuy »

ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Found some Valvoline fluid at Meijer last night, it was labeled Mercon V on the front but it did have the Toyota T-IV listed on the back. Is that the same stuff you bought?

Image Image
ToolGuy

Post by ToolGuy »

Quote, originally posted by ColonelPanic »Found some Valvoline fluid at Meijer last night, it was labeled Mercon V on the front but it did have the Toyota T-IV listed on the back. Is that the same stuff you bought?Yup that is what I bought! Been in my trans for days and it is just fine!
Namron

Post by Namron »

Quote, originally posted by MarkM04 »Pulling the plug only removes about half of the fluid, but it's better then not changine it at all. If you change it more frequenlty, you will keep a good supply of fresh atf in it. I think if you changed it every 30k miles, you'd be doing great.Since you just did the Drain and Refill method, how many quarts did you end up usinging?
2003 Platinum GT Vibe, M&TCurrent Mods: Hardwire Aux Input. Window VentsWindow Tint 35%driver/passenger, 20% back & 5" strip windshieldGoodYear TripleTred TiresFuture Mods: Trailer Hitch
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Good deal, I figured I was looking at the same fluid you bought. Thanks for sharing that with us, trying to find compatible transmission fluid from a non-dealer source was tricky for me at first, until I knew what I was looking for, thanks to you. And like Namron posted, I'm interested to see how much it takes too just for the drain and fill. This will definitely be good info for many, I'm sure!I'm a bit concerned about doing this on my own at this point. I'm getting some fairly jolting shifts from first to second out of this ol' tranny which seem to have presented themselves rather recently. Sometimes it shifts fine - usually, I can just about guarantee an alright shift by getting on it slightly on acceleration. But if I try to take things too leisurely, the 1-2 shift can be harsh. The first time I take off, it could shift rough, the next time taking off at the same pace it may shift fine. I think I ruled out computer mischief by leaving the battery disconnected overnight and taking it easy on the thing while it "relearns" what it needs to know. Didn't help. For all I know, it could still be that nasty old fluid in there which is right at its life expectancy according to the manual but not that lying dipstick. Maybe the dealer could have threw Dexron in there at some point when it was in for an oil change and they noticed the fluid was low, I think there is a TSB about harsh shifting due to causes such as that. (Shouldn't be though, the transmission doesn't leak.) But who knows, so should I change the fluid myself, I'm concerned that the dealer would throw the blame this way if the tranny ends up dying shortly after I changed the fluid. I'm not doubting my abilities (the trickiest part will probably be obtaining the gasket itself if I bypass the GM dealer and try elsewhere,) moreso I'm questioning GM wanting to honor my warranty if something mega-expensive crops up - and at 60K they can probably shoot down whatever they want so I'd like to not give them any reasons to do so.. So, I guess I should just let them do a flush on the thing and pay out the wazoo for it. Maybe I can convince them to take a ride pre- and post-change to see if there is any difference, if not they probably need to go to work...But next time around, provided I still own the car, heck yeah I'll be pulling the plug and draining that stuff. Like I've said many times above, I should have done that already, at least a couple times!

Image Image
JohnC

Re: DIY trans fluid/filter change (Namron)

Post by JohnC »

Quote, originally posted by Namron »Since you just did the Drain and Refill method, how many quarts did you end up usinging?I measured what drained from mine (sitting level then raising drivers side only) and it was 4 quarts exactly.My plan is to do the drain/refill, drive it several days then drop the pan clean strainer etc., then refill.
Base Two Tone Satellite, Auto, & Pwr Pkg....my current commuting car.
NSimkins
Global Moderator

Re: DIY trans fluid/filter change (Namron)

Post by NSimkins »

Quote, originally posted by Namron »Since you just did the Drain and Refill method, how many quarts did you end up usinging?If you refer back to this post I made and use the codes below to match according to the '03 service manual:MU4 is Dry Fill = 7.75 qts and Drain and Refill = 3.25 qtsMU5 is Dry Fill = 7.2 qts and Drain and Refill = 3.1 qtsI'm still doing some research to get some straight answers to this as I want to make this a DIY project in the next week or two. However, if I have to let the dealer do this, I may have to.My initial plan for DIY is to just simply drain all 3-4 qts out without removing the pan, refill fluid, drive for a day, then remove fluid again as well as pan/gasket and clean inside as necessary.
the1stacekiller

Re: DIY trans fluid/filter change (NSimkins)

Post by the1stacekiller »

I went to my local crappy tire and saw there is AMSOIL UNIVERSAL ATF.. on the back it says Toyota Type T-IV compatible.. anyone use this ? and would this be a solution to finding Toyota Type tranny fluid?.. it was only $8 / L Canadian..I know AMSOIL has a really good reputation on car forums..cheers
- 2004 Pontiac Vibe Base 2 Tone Grey Goodness -
ColonelPanic

Re: DIY trans fluid/filter change (the1stacekiller)

Post by ColonelPanic »

I see Pennzoil has a similar "universal" fluid as well.

Image Image
MarkM04

Re: DIY trans fluid/filter change (the1stacekiller)

Post by MarkM04 »

I think there is a guy on here by the name of Olympic that uses his Vibe as a Taxi. He uses Amsoil ATF and has almost 200k miles on it with no problems.I'm nut sure if I'm going to use Amsoil, or T-IV when my time comes.
Petrucci914

Post by Petrucci914 »

Ya, that's why the Vibe sucks. GM has absolutely no idea about the vehicle. You can barely get any parts from them and they didn't even know what Type T-IV was. Then you go to a Toyota dealer and they can't use your VIN or anything. I had to go and draw a picture of the bolt pattern on my tranny pan and bring it in to pick the correct one. Thinking about it now I would have just went to the lot and found a Matrix XR and took the VIN off of that. I don't know why there are 3 types of gaskets, should have been only 2..... the auto for the awd and the base. The booklet says a refill of 3.3 qts but after I took the pan off and the filter and cleaned all of that I needed to put in about 4.3 quarts which is what the receipt at Autozone says. What good are manuals these days?
2003 Pontiac Vibe Base - AutomaticTRD Supercharger w/ Smoothflow PulleyaFe Drop-in Filter - DC Sports HeaderFull 2.25" Exhaust -Magnaflow Catback + CatsOptima RedTop - Tru-Cool Tranny Cooler
ColonelPanic

Re: DIY trans fluid/filter change (Petrucci914)

Post by ColonelPanic »

Quote, originally posted by Petrucci914 »Ya, that's why the Vibe sucks. GM has absolutely no idea about the vehicle. You can barely get any parts from them and they didn't even know what Type T-IV was. I'm betting that I get a transmission full of Dexron when I bring mine in for the fluid change. I think the transmission is on its way out anyway, so not like it is going to hurt it or anything. heh!

Image Image
ToolGuy

Re: DIY trans fluid/filter change (Petrucci914)

Post by ToolGuy »

Quote, originally posted by Petrucci914 »Ya, that's why the Vibe sucks. GM has absolutely no idea about the vehicle. You can barely get any parts from them and they didn't even know what Type T-IV was. Then you go to a Toyota dealer and they can't use your VIN or anything. I had to go and draw a picture of the bolt pattern on my tranny pan and bring it in to pick the correct one. Thinking about it now I would have just went to the lot and found a Matrix XR and took the VIN off of that. I don't know why there are 3 types of gaskets, should have been only 2..... the auto for the awd and the base. The booklet says a refill of 3.3 qts but after I took the pan off and the filter and cleaned all of that I needed to put in about 4.3 quarts which is what the receipt at Autozone says. What good are manuals these days?Yes you are right and what I encountered! Frustrating!! I never did go to my GM dealer... I used to write the service manuals and you would be surprised and the information in them. People used to call them Circus Manuals. I was a contract and most writers were. I cared about my job but lots did not, no loyalty since we were not direct hires and GM wanted to save a buck. I wanted to get hired into GM but that never happened and the opportunities to get in were far and few so I left. I am much happier now and love my job!
NSimkins
Global Moderator

Post by NSimkins »

Even though this is a DIY thread, I called my local Pontiac service people this afternoon. I was told that the Vibe transmission doesn't require service, period. They've never done maintenance on a Vibe transmission (ie. filter, fluid, etc.)... and this is since 2002 when they came out?!Even though the manual states that service is required at I believe 60,000 miles, they've never done one before. I'm going to have to try to get ahold of our Vibe-friends at GM this week to clarify... weird!
ajf3ajf3

Post by ajf3ajf3 »

Any news from GM? I'm going in for my last service before warranty ends in a couple of days & I just today noticed that my ATF is kind of dark - blackish.I only have 35k, so I'm going to ask them why it looks so dirty when service isn't called for until 60k...
ToolGuy

Re: (ajf3ajf3)

Post by ToolGuy »

Quote, originally posted by ajf3ajf3 » I just today noticed that my ATF is kind of dark - blackish.I only have 35k, so I'm going to ask them why it looks so dirty when service isn't called for until 60k...What you are seeing is the normal color for the Toyota trans fluid... Looks bad I know but that is the tryue color. The replacement or what I used, non-Toyota brand is more red like the color of Dexron trans fluid.
NSimkins
Global Moderator

Re: (ajf3ajf3)

Post by NSimkins »

Official word from GM (just received) is basically what it states in the manual. Check the fluid every 30,000 miles (as for color, smell, level) and fluid change is only required at 60,000 miles if you're using the Vibe in hilly, short trips, high temps, trailer towing-type conditions. Otherwise, just normal checks should be made of the fluid to make sure it is within acceptable ranges.I'm nearing 52,000 miles on my Vibe and the fluid is dark as others have mentioned but doesn't smell burnt or irregular. I'll probably just change the fluid myself and that's about it.
the1stacekiller

Re: (NSimkins)

Post by the1stacekiller »

Anybody use Amsoil Univeral ATF (Type IV compatible)??I really want to do a drain and fill when I do my next oil change.. but I haven't heard from anyone say:" I use Amsoil ATF, I love it, it works perfectly fine, I have been using it for 50,000k! " when some ppl say that I'm jumping band wagons
- 2004 Pontiac Vibe Base 2 Tone Grey Goodness -