Changing file name?

General discussions not related to the Vibe, Matrix, or any other vehicle. (follow posting rules)
wicked1981

Changing file name?

Post by wicked1981 »

Ok so Im ok wih computers but not enough. So here is my question Im sure someone will know this one. I was searching for a song online and found a site that I believe you can download the whole album thats nice because the album wont be out till Oct 10th. My question is the guy that posted the link says I have to change the file to an .rar file. How do I do that? I clicked the properties tab on the download and it shows up as a HHC File how do I change it? HELP!
2006 Pontiac G6 GTP3.9L V-6 240hp and 241 lb-ft or torque18" Aluminum, five-spoke, flangeless200 Watt, 8 speaker Monsoon sysChrome dual exhaust tipsLiquid Silver MetallicBorla Custom ExhaustDr. Speed Cold Air Intake
Sputnik

Re: Changing file name? (wicked1981)

Post by Sputnik »

I usually just right click and select rename and then rename it with the new file extension.
GenVibe Global Moderator

Current: 2012 Nissan Juke SL - Sapphire Blue Onyx (July '12 - present)
Current: 2012 Nissan Leaf SL 100% Electric - Blue Ocean (Dec '11 - present)

Past: 2003 Pontiac Vibe - Satellite Silver (Aug '02 - Dec '07)
wicked1981

Re: Changing file name? (Sputnik)

Post by wicked1981 »

I trie that but see the properties box it says its a HHC file. What does that supposed to say? It supposed to be a sound file right? Howdo I change that?
2006 Pontiac G6 GTP3.9L V-6 240hp and 241 lb-ft or torque18" Aluminum, five-spoke, flangeless200 Watt, 8 speaker Monsoon sysChrome dual exhaust tipsLiquid Silver MetallicBorla Custom ExhaustDr. Speed Cold Air Intake
millster

Post by millster »

Open your My Computer, go to Tools, Options, select the View tab.Uncheck the "Hide Extensions for Known File Types" box.That will allow you to change the extension of the file.After you uncheck that box, you should see the filename as Warren.rar.hhc.Just remove the .hhc part.Once you have done that, you'll have to "un-rar" the file with a program such as WinRar.http://www.win-rar.com/start.htmlNote that I am NOT advocating music piracy, but I won't start into that debate.
-Millster-
2006 Toyota Matrix XR
1995 Saab 9000CSE 2.3T
1986 Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas (GM Drivetrain Conversion)
2007 Outback XT EJ257 2.6L Build
wicked1981

Re: Changing file name? (millster)

Post by wicked1981 »

Quote, originally posted by millster »Open your My Computer, go to Tools, Options, select the View tab.Uncheck the "Hide Extensions for Known File Types" box.That will allow you to change the extension of the file.After you uncheck that box, you should see the filename as Warren.rar.hhc.Just remove the .hhc part.Once you have done that, you'll have to "un-rar" the file with a program such as WinRar.http://www.win-rar.com/start.htmlNote that I am NOT advocating music piracy, but I won't start into that debate. So thats how you do it. I had downloaded other files before that said to change the file type I just didnt know how. Im downloading er.. buying WinRar to do the second part. Thanks for the help.
wicked1981

Post by wicked1981 »

Quote, originally posted by millster »Open your My Computer, go to Tools, Options, select the View tab.Uncheck the "Hide Extensions for Known File Types" box.That will allow you to change the extension of the file.After you uncheck that box, you should see the filename as Warren.rar.hhc.Just remove the .hhc part.Once you have done that, you'll have to "un-rar" the file with a program such as WinRar.http://www.win-rar.com/start.htmlNote that I am NOT advocating music piracy, but I won't start into that debate. So thats how you do it. I had downloaded other files before that said to change the file type I just didnt know how. Im downloading er.. buying WinRar to do the second part. Thanks for the help. Either way Im buying the CD when it comes out.
millster

Post by millster »

That's a common trick, actually. Some ISP's will block hosting of RAR files because they're so commonly used for piracy. It's a good way to skirt email attachment filters too.
-Millster-
2006 Toyota Matrix XR
1995 Saab 9000CSE 2.3T
1986 Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas (GM Drivetrain Conversion)
2007 Outback XT EJ257 2.6L Build
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

I never would have thought of that. Every windows box I get on I go into explorer, configure it to show file extensions, show system or hidden files, set view details, and set all folders like the current one. Really bugs me to have Microsoft think I can't be trusted to see the whole file name.