A good wax or polish that won't harm the plastic, vinyl or rubber?

Tips, tricks, and recommendations for keeping your vehicle looking new
eilros

A good wax or polish that won't harm the plastic, vinyl or rubber?

Post by eilros »

I just bought a silver Vibe and want to apply a long lasting wax or polish on it. I would like a product that is very easy to apply and remove. I used to use a Meguiar 3-step system with my Integra when I was younger but I just don't have the time and committment to put into car care anymore. I've read great things about Tech Wax and Gold Class but both have warnings about getting it on the rubber and/or plastic. I'd rather not have to worry about that. Any suggestions on a good wax or polish that might fit my needs?Thanks,Dave
2004 Satellite Base
eilros

Re: A good wax or polish that won't harm the plastic, vinyl or rubber? (eilros)

Post by eilros »

I've done a lot of research today and it seems Klasse All In One might be perfect. Has anyone used this?
2004 Satellite Base
Kari

Post by Kari »

I'm not sure there is anything that will be completely safe to get on the cladding, just because it's not smooth-textured and therefore picks up and keeps wax in those crevices. Ragingfish once waxed the cladding and I don't think anything he ever tried to get it off (and believe me it was a lot ) ever took it off. Soooo...I think you're just stuck having to be extra careful around the cladding, unfortunately.
GenVibe Global Moderator
zionzr2

Post by zionzr2 »

you could always tape off the cladding before you wax
eilros

Post by eilros »

I decided to go with the Klasse All In One and High Gloss Sealant. I'll let you know how well it works in a few weeks.
2004 Satellite Base
Stang2Vibe

Post by Stang2Vibe »

Just something to be aware of: usually paint sealant products are intended to be waxed over. I'm not specifically familiar with the Klasse product you've mentioned, but it's an issue you might want to check into if you don't plan on applying sealant twice a week.
Former owner of a 2003 Vibe GT---Great car that gave me 8 years and 83,000 miles of trouble-free service.Current owner of a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited AWD.
Flip-Side

Post by Flip-Side »

I have the monotone, so I have no experience with cladding, but my last wax with Tech Wax was great and I was very pleased with the one step results. It goes on more clear than white, and it came off my mirrors and glass with ease. Not sure if that helps with cladding, but I found it easy to clean off of nusance spots.I have no idea why Tech Wax would be worse than regular wax. My old Nu finish, and mothers wax was more of a pain to get off than this new stuff.
Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others have labored hard for.
Man of Steel

Post by Man of Steel »

I've heard that rubbing alcohol will remove wax on cladding and trim. Never tried it however.
05 AWD.
Fire BX

Post by Fire BX »

I like Zaino products lately.
LAVA
Kari

Re: A good wax or polish that won't harm the plastic, vinyl or rubber? (Man of Steel)

Post by Kari »

He tried everything to get that stuff off, and it would make it go away for a few days, but then it would just come back...so it's probably better to be safe than sorry and just avoid the cladding entirely when waxing.
GenVibe Global Moderator
MassiveOverkill

Post by MassiveOverkill »

If you've ever used Zaino, you don't have to worry about any trim. You can use Zaino on every surface of your car........except maybe the tires. The stuff rocks.
Fire BX

Re: A good wax or polish that won't harm the plastic, vinyl or rubber? (MassiveOverkill)

Post by Fire BX »

Zaino even has some tire dressing that is pretty good. You dont have to use alot to get good results. But to say their tire stuff is better than the rest I am not sure. The polish though for the car is Awesome.
LAVA
MassiveOverkill

Post by MassiveOverkill »

BTW, to get dried wax off your trim, try peanut butter (no really!!).
joatmon

Re: A good wax or polish that won't harm the plastic, vinyl or rubber? (Kari)

Post by joatmon »

hand cleaner works great for taking wax of the unpainted cladding