Check engine light is on

Technical info on the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix including do-it-yourself info
Cue-Ball

Check engine light is on

Post by Cue-Ball »

Is there a way to pull the codes off the Vibe without a scanner tool??
joatmon

Re: Check engine light is on (Cue-Ball)

Post by joatmon »

not by yourself, but some auto parts stores, such as autozone, will do it for you for free. I've had cars where some combination of ignition swithch positions would get the code to blink out in a pattern, but there is nothing like that in these cars. Supposedly the most common cause for a CEL is a loose gas cap. Did this just happen by itself, or were you doing something that you thnk caused it?
Cue-Ball

Post by Cue-Ball »

Well it is my wife's car and she just called telling me the check light just came on.I have a Jeep that you can pull from turning on/off/on the ingintion switch so I was hoping there was something like this.
joatmon

Re: (Cue-Ball)

Post by joatmon »

The last Chrysler I had did that too, it came in handy, no such luck on these . If you get the code read , let us know what it is.What year/model/color/options/etc Vibe is it?
Cue-Ball

Post by Cue-Ball »

2003 AWD, red. Stock (it's the wife's car after all)
Cue-Ball

Post by Cue-Ball »

And yea I will let you know what it is.Is there a cheap scan tool I could buuy for this vehicle? Now that it is out of warranty I will be doing most of the work on it.
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

Quote, originally posted by Cue-Ball »2003 AWD, red. Stock (it's the wife's car after all)um..... i'm the wife, and my vibe had more mods than the hubby's. in fact, he now has quite a few of my mods after i got rid of the vibe. also, find out if she recently filled up the gas. if so, she may not have screwed the gas cap back on well enough. that will also through a CEL.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
Cue-Ball

Post by Cue-Ball »

Sorry about the wife comment.
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

I saw a couple of basic scan tools in a recent Pep Boys circular, one was 69 bucks after a mail-in rebate. Nothing fancy, but enough to get the codes pulled out... I'd say any OBD-II compliant scanner would work for you.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
ColonelPanic

Re: (trdvibe)

Post by ColonelPanic »

Quote, originally posted by trdvibe »um..... i'm the wife, and my vibe had more mods than the hubby's. in fact, he now has quite a few of my mods after i got rid of the vibe. I don't think he meant it to be taken in that manner.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
Cue-Ball

Post by Cue-Ball »

I will check the local parts stores to see who has something.Once I find the problem do I need to reset the computer?I checked the gas cap this morning and added some oil but the light is still on (might be another problem also) I will look at it closely this weekend.
binary

Post by binary »

Quote, originally posted by Cue-Ball »I will check the local parts stores to see who has something.Once I find the problem do I need to reset the computer?I checked the gas cap this morning and added some oil but the light is still on (might be another problem also) I will look at it closely this weekend.You can pull the neg terminal from the battery for a few minutes. That'll reset any codes.Was the cap loose? The vibe will do a vac test after sitting for > 5 hours. So you may have to wait over night.