C'mon GenVibe! Let's help the world!

General discussions not related to the Vibe, Matrix, or any other vehicle. (follow posting rules)
Jahntassa

C'mon GenVibe! Let's help the world!

Post by Jahntassa »

Alright...so you remember SETI@Home, right? The first spread computing project? Now there's another one hosted by IBM called the "World Community Grid". This is a similar concept. Use the idle time of systems to crunch numbers for multiple projects that have to do with humanity. From Genomes, to whatever!"World Community Grid's mission is to create the largest public computing grid benefiting humanity. Our work is built on the belief that technological innovation combined with visionary scientific research and large-scale volunteerism can change our world for the better. Our success depends on individuals - like you - collectively contributing their unused computer time."I've started a team for GenVibe, and if you download the software, go to the "My Profile" link, and join the team! You also set up just when the software does it's heavy processing, and how much space it can take up on your HD. Look into it, it's not searching for aliens, but definitely a cause worthy of your idle processor time!
2003 Vibe GT Lava"He inched his way up the corridor as if he would rather be yarding his way down it.""For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen." - Douglas Adams...we all miss you
ragingfish

Re: C'mon GenVibe! Let's help the world! (Jahntassa)

Post by ragingfish »

Link?
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
3.6L V6 (256 HP @ 6300 rpm, 248 ft-lbs. @ 2100 rpm)
joatmon

Re: C'mon GenVibe! Let's help the world! (ragingfish)

Post by joatmon »

my guess would be http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/ , but I'm not sureJust a reminder, if you join and load the software, make sure it's on a computer that you are allowed to load it on. I saw a news article a month or two ago about someone who got fired for loading SETI@home on a computer at work.
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

Gotcha...I'm signed up!
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
3.6L V6 (256 HP @ 6300 rpm, 248 ft-lbs. @ 2100 rpm)
Jahntassa

Re: C'mon GenVibe! Let's help the world! (ragingfish)

Post by Jahntassa »

Quote, originally posted by ragingfish »Link? Ah..crap. Yes, it's http://www.worldcommunitygrid.comI have it running on three systems currently. It's MUCH more advanced than SETI@home. Right now it's working on folding proteins, with a full 3D representation of the molecule it's working on. I agree, though. DO NOT load this on a work system without talking to your boss / IT guys first. IT people like having fits over stuff like this...And yes, Mike's joining the GenVibe team brings us up to a #114 rank in the team lists!
2003 Vibe GT Lava"He inched his way up the corridor as if he would rather be yarding his way down it.""For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen." - Douglas Adams...we all miss you
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Oh cool! I'm there... Too bad there isn't a Linux version of the client software (at least that I have found yet) so I have to emulate Windows to run it.. But I managed to get it running under Linux nonetheless, so all is good.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
Jahntassa

Post by Jahntassa »

It really is some cool software. Dissapointing that it does seem to be only Windows at the moment, especially since it's a joint IBM venture, and they're moving heavily into Linux.. Now if only I can get my dead motherboard back from the company..I can throw another 933Mhz at this thing..
joatmon

Re: (Jahntassa)

Post by joatmon »

I'm there. Team stats says 4 members, but I only see you and raging. I have a prob on my laptop, exits the agent when I click on the "application" button, but still seems to be crunching along. (EDIT 11/17 - updating my video driver took care of that problem) Takes a lot longer than SETI, this machine could knok one of those out about every 3 hours or so, but this just hit 2% after 42 minutes, so that would project to about 2100 minutes, or about 35 hours. ( I stopped processing SETI for MV to do this) (edit - 50% at about 12 hours)Some of the posts in the forum indicate that you get better scores if you adjust your profile to allocate more disk space, so I did that but it doesn't seem to update in the agent GUI, maybe it will show the update when it finally completes a work unit and downloads another.Right now with my previous disk setting the agent gives my laptop an overall rating of 104 compared to a benchmark reference "High-end Desktop System" 100.
ColonelPanic

Re: (joatmon)

Post by ColonelPanic »

I'm not sure if mine is even working... The only number I've noticed that changes is my PC's benchmark rating. Everything else - times, percentages, whatever, hasn't left 0. It seems to do things, goes out and downloads the info, sends the results back etc.Probably something is jacked up because I'm using wine to emulate Windows so it can run. It looks like this is a very young project, maybe they will be nice enough to port the client to Linux. I've got a zillion of SETI clients that were automatically installed when I installed Linux, so I'm hoping this one is just a matter of time before I can run the client natively...Quote »Team stats says 4 members, but I only see you and raging.I noticed the same thing! I was wondering about that myself...I'll keep it running and see what, if anything, it will do...

Image Image
joatmon

Re: (ColonelPanic)

Post by joatmon »

we show up on the team today. Team stats appear to be updated at 6 AM GMT.
Jahntassa

Post by Jahntassa »

The stats online update VERY slowly. And yes, the program does run slow. I'm running it on three systems, currently. Two AMD K-6 500 Mhz, and a Duron 800 Mhz. The Duron finished one set of data in about 20 hours. One of the K-6's is still 58% through the first data in 49 hours. Realize, too, the calculations this is doing compared to SETI are amazing.. If you click on the "I" button in the lower right corner, it'll give you a 3D representation of the protein it's currently folding.. The Stats on the program update every time you send in a result. If you click the "i", it'll give you realtime what it's doing. This project is very big, so it's not quite as instantly gratifying as SETI.. But, it's a little more satisfying to know the research is going to helping people, and not just looking for ET.
Kari

Re: (Jahntassa)

Post by Kari »

Guess they don't want any of my PowerPC G4 processing time, eh?
GenVibe Global Moderator
ShotInTheDark

Re: (Kari)

Post by ShotInTheDark »

I've got both a 1.5g and a 3.2g slamming it out now, I'm onboard too.It says I'm on the team but doesn't show me when I pull it up hmm.
kostby

Post by kostby »

Just signed up, and selected Genvibe team. Now 6 members, and 137th on the list.

My 2003 Vibe Base Auto 2-tone Salsa "SalsaWagon" was built in May 2002. I acquired it in Feb 2004/Traded it in on a 2016 Honda HR-V in Feb 2018.
joatmon

Re: (kostby)

Post by joatmon »

I finished my first work unit, but now for some reason I can't get it to download a second one, so I'm idled.
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Woo hoo! I've accumulated a whopping 2 points! I need a faster connection to the 'net...

Image Image
ShotInTheDark

Re: C'mon GenVibe! Let's help the world! (ColonelPanic)

Post by ShotInTheDark »

1371 points and still cooking not bad for 2 days.
kostby

Post by kostby »

I've had a problem with downloading and running a second set of data too. From looking at the forum board on the site, apparently lots of people are having that problem. Haven't checked today, but I didn't see any 'solution' postings there as of yesterday.

My 2003 Vibe Base Auto 2-tone Salsa "SalsaWagon" was built in May 2002. I acquired it in Feb 2004/Traded it in on a 2016 Honda HR-V in Feb 2018.
kostby

Re: (kostby) UPDATE

Post by kostby »

There's a post today that say about 117 of the 'tasks' had errors in them. They've identified the errors and reloaded. I'd set default preferences limiting the time when it would run, with the end result that it didn't EVER run. I read in one of the threads that changes to your profile would take effect AFTER sending the results of the current job. Since the current job would NEVER run, it was a catch-22. I ended up uninstalling and reinstalling my software. (If you're interested in that, just click on the original 'WorldCommunityGridAgent.exe' icon. It uninstalls first. Click it again to reinstall, and be sure to check the 'I am already registered' when reconnecting to the grid.

ShotInTheDark

Re: (kostby) UPDATE (kostby)

Post by ShotInTheDark »

WE need to step this up some more..... I'm tired of being the lead dog here, I'm sure someone here has the CPU power to dethrone me
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

I'm tempted to join a different teamhttp://www.worldcommunitygrid....R1BN1j/k
rasermon

Re: (ShotInTheDark)

Post by rasermon »

Quote, originally posted by ShotInTheDark »WE need to step this up some more..... I'm tired of being the lead dog here, I'm sure someone here has the CPU power to dethrone me Lol, I'm working at it. I also have it installed on the laptop.
Satellite 03 GT Retirement ----> Moderator for Genvibe.com 2002 - 2007 A fact of life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says (removed)
POLO

Post by POLO »

I'm already in another team and we are like classed 2000e on 35000e.
kostby

Post by kostby »

Anybody know how to rewire the Vibe's ECU to run these proteins? It should run REALLY fast when you VibeGTers hit lift!j/k

ShotInTheDark

Re: C'mon GenVibe! Let's help the world! (joatmon)

Post by ShotInTheDark »

um that team is uh, rather, um nice but we still need more results..
joatmon

Re: C'mon GenVibe! Let's help the world! (ShotInTheDark)

Post by joatmon »

we are doing respectably for a team with so few members, but we could use some new members to help. ColonelPanic, did you give up on the emulated agaent? You had a lightning round of results, but only 2 points!
Stang2Vibe

Re: C'mon GenVibe! Let's help the world!

Post by Stang2Vibe »

So how does this thing work and what does it do? Who is this information and calculations helping? I don't want to be helping Dr. Evil create some kind of new abortion pill or something.
Former owner of a 2003 Vibe GT---Great car that gave me 8 years and 83,000 miles of trouble-free service.Current owner of a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited AWD.
joatmon

Re: C'mon GenVibe! Let's help the world! (Stang2Vibe)

Post by joatmon »

ShotInTheDark

Post by ShotInTheDark »

still lead dog, god you guys suck....
kostby

Post by kostby »

Team Genvibe is quickly approaching one year of computing power donated >333 days when I checked today. My little Pentium 4 2.0Ghz is way outclassed, so I'm bringing up the rear in points. LOL

joatmon

Re: (kostby)

Post by joatmon »

we just passesd two years combined computing time.
rasermon

Post by rasermon »

I need to re-install after I did a format last week. Thanks Joatmon.
Satellite 03 GT Retirement ----> Moderator for Genvibe.com 2002 - 2007 A fact of life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says (removed)
joatmon

Re: (joatmon) (rasermon)

Post by joatmon »

I'll never catch Erik unless he suffers some catastrophe. I have two machines running, but am going to have to deinstall it off my laptop. I'll wait till the current workunit is done though.
Mr. Poopypants

Re: (joatmon) (joatmon)

Post by Mr. Poopypants »

OK, I'm signing up.
A bartender is just a pharmacist with a limited inventory.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Quote, originally posted by ShotInTheDark »WE need to step this up some more..... I'm tired of being the lead dog here, I'm sure someone here has the CPU power to dethrone me Jahntassa and rasermon have you beat in processing time, but you're still the leader in points generated. http://www.worldcommunitygrid....1MP9NMy contributions have been hit and miss, had to deinstall from the laptop because of overheating probs, the other machine I have gets abused, turned off, reloaded, etc a lot.
rasermon

Post by rasermon »

As for team statistics we are doing pretty good. Looks like I'll have to install it on my 64 bit laptop.
Kari

Post by Kari »

Maybe one day they'll come out with this for different platforms... I could emulate it on the Linux box with Wine, but I doubt I'd get much done with my blazing Pentium 166 MMX processor.
GenVibe Global Moderator
ullbergm

Post by ullbergm »

Add one more to the list.. I remember setiathome.. i used to run that.. i ended up reinstalling the box and forgetting all about it.I put in 21,412 hours according to their website.. This project seems more worth it thou..
Car: Two-tone Base Abyss, Moons and tunes, Power packageMods: 20% tint, Reflective Black GrafxWerks Overlays, German Hella Horns, Hardwired Valentine One, red interior dome lights, custom cargo floormat, police scanner, ham radio, cellphone kit and a bunch of antennas on topWishlist: Rubber floormats, million dollars
Mr. Poopypants

Post by Mr. Poopypants »

Quote, originally posted by joatmon » Jahntassa and rasermon have you beat in processing time, but you're still the leader in points generated. http://www.worldcommunitygrid....1MP9NMy contributions have been hit and miss, had to deinstall from the laptop because of overheating probs, the other machine I have gets abused, turned off, reloaded, etc a lot.I'm getting there, I have it on my laptop and my parent's computer.
olympic

Post by olympic »

Count me in!
zionzr2

Post by zionzr2 »

I'm on a different system i guess...over at http://www.grid.org we have no team....I'll start one there....EDIT: Join Team GenVibe
NUBlackshirts

Post by NUBlackshirts »

Didn't know we had a GenVibe team for this sort of thing. I used to do Seti@Home and lately have been running CommunityTSC. I just joined the WCG GenVibe team!
'04 Frosty GT <---Click here!Tein S-Tech springs; Tokico HP struts;Progress rear sway bar; DC Sports strut tower bar;Scion TC wheels; K&N Typhoon intake;GG Racing ground wires; JAW voltage stabilizer;FilterMAG SS-250; Militec-1; Sirius Satellite Radio
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Quote, originally posted by ShotInTheDark »still lead dog, god you guys suck....rasermon is now kicking your (removed) in cpu time, points and results. I have dropped woefully behind, but so far the team has over 7 years cpu time
rasermon

Post by rasermon »

Lol, I only have it on my pc and laptop. Must be the 64bit AMD helping me out.
Mr. Poopypants

Re: (rasermon)

Post by Mr. Poopypants »

Quote, originally posted by rasermon »Lol, I only have it on my pc and laptop. Must be the 64bit AMD helping me out. I have the same processor on my home PC, that thing CRANKS!! Love it!
zionzr2

Post by zionzr2 »

I'm starting to catch up
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Yay, maybe I'll finally be able to participate again... Granted who knows if this will happen, as the two FAQ entries below look extremely similar... Probably some canned response. I gave up on this a long time ago, since it would sit there all day and night chugging along but never really did a whole lot, seeing that I had to run Crossover Office to help with windoze emulation so I could run the client under linux... Quote »Why is there not a Linux client? The software that we licensed for World Community Grid came only with a Windows client. The support team has an edict to provide a Linux client in 2005. The Linux client is currently in development and Alpha testing. Beta testing will start in September of 2005. The date for the public launch has not been decided yet. As soon as we know the public launch date, we will post it on this FAQ. Well, it's almost October, but there is still hope, I guess. At least it looks like they were thinking about those oddball Linux people such as myself.If the Linux client ever sees the light of day, they may even have a Mac version... Woo hoo, then I could have both machines here at the house kickin'. Quote »Why is there not a Mac client? The software that we licensed for World Community Grid came only with a Windows client. The support team has an edict to provide a Linux client in 2005. As soon as the Linux client is launched, we will look at working on a Mac client. If we develop a Mac client, it will be in early 2006. As soon as we have more information, we will update this FAQ.If anybody sees the Linux beta pop up before I do, let me know and I'll try it out. We all know I'll probably forget about it by then. lol

Image Image
joatmon

Re: C'mon GenVibe! Let's help the world! (ColonelPanic)

Post by joatmon »

http://www.worldcommunitygrid....=4224Quote »We are pleased to announce that starting November 1, 2005, World Community Grid has a Linux client available.
Toolman

Re: C'mon GenVibe! Let's help the world! (joatmon)

Post by Toolman »

Must not be around anymore, it just sits there paused all the time with no way to restart it!
http:/theeulogy.wirefire.com2003 Neptune Blue Moon and Tunes4 Speed AutoBluetooth Install(Wifes)2004 Torrid Red GTO Tinted WindowsBluetooth Install0-60mph in 5.2 seconds0-130mph in 22.5 seconds(Mine)
Mr. Poopypants

Re: C'mon GenVibe! Let's help the world! (Toolman)

Post by Mr. Poopypants »

Nope, it's still there and it works, are you on a dial up connection or did you install it on a computer behind a proxy or firewall?