Welding question

General discussions not related to the Vibe, Matrix, or any other vehicle. (follow posting rules)
ullbergm

Welding question

Post by ullbergm »

Anyone on here know how to weld?Basically i have never welded anything in my life and i am looking at building a table out of 3x3x0.5 square steel tubing.The table needs to be *perfect*.. it is for a CNC router i'm building. I realize that getting it perfect will be hard but i plan on taking my time, i dont care if it takes me two months to get a simple table done. it just needs to be square.So i guess my question is this. What kind of welder should i use for something like this?

Attached files
Car: Two-tone Base Abyss, Moons and tunes, Power packageMods: 20% tint, Reflective Black GrafxWerks Overlays, German Hella Horns, Hardwired Valentine One, red interior dome lights, custom cargo floormat, police scanner, ham radio, cellphone kit and a bunch of antennas on topWishlist: Rubber floormats, million dollars
russ257

Re: Welding question (ullbergm)

Post by russ257 »

mig
'03 VIBE AWDPioneer AVIC-N1MOMO 6.5" componets in frontMOMO 6.5" speakers in rearJL e6450 six channel ampJL 12" w3 subAlpine 120W amp powering the sub
Mr. Poopypants

Post by Mr. Poopypants »

Arc welder.
A bartender is just a pharmacist with a limited inventory.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

That is going to be one strong table for a router. What kind of router is CNC? I have a Linksys router and it is such a tiny thing, I can't imagine a router that would need that kind of support. Big routers tend to be rack mountable. What kind of network do you have that you need a router so big it needs a custom table built out of 3x3 steel tubing? just kidding, I assume you meant the other kind of router
ullbergm

Re: Welding question (joatmon)

Post by ullbergm »

Quote, originally posted by joatmon »That is going to be one strong table for a router. What kind of router is CNC? I have a Linksys router and it is such a tiny thing, I can't imagine a router that would need that kind of support. Big routers tend to be rack mountable. What kind of network do you have that you need a router so big it needs a custom table built out of 3x3 steel tubing? just kidding, I assume you meant the other kind of router LOL Yeah, this is the other kind.. The woodworking/metalworking variety...I'm going to be using a porter cable heavy duty spindle. The reason to use a table like that is that it will be computer controlled..You use a CAD/CAM program and design what you want. Load the material in the machine. And then sit back and watch it cut out your design..I have a small 1'x2' cnc right now but it is slow and i want to be able to load a full 4'x8' sheet in the cnc and have it spit out a cabinet Here is a more detailed picture:

Attached files
Car: Two-tone Base Abyss, Moons and tunes, Power packageMods: 20% tint, Reflective Black GrafxWerks Overlays, German Hella Horns, Hardwired Valentine One, red interior dome lights, custom cargo floormat, police scanner, ham radio, cellphone kit and a bunch of antennas on topWishlist: Rubber floormats, million dollars
ullbergm

Re: (desert_dweller)

Post by ullbergm »

I'm looking for something that a beginner can pick up and that is not too expensive.. I dont mind if it takes a while to get it done.Any suggestions as far as brands or are they basically the same? I was going to run to lowes/homedepot and pick a base model but i figured i'd ask to see if anyone on genvibe could help me not to make newbie mistakes
ullbergm

Re: (ullbergm)

Post by ullbergm »

Here is a quick demo of what it would look like in motion:http://ullberg.us/cnc/CNC.aviand here is what my current one looks like in actionhttp://ullberg.us/cnc/new/cnc/...3.avi
idontknowwhatimdoing

Post by idontknowwhatimdoing »

You should build it out of a modular framing system such as 80/20, Parker Frame, Item MB, or Maschinenbau...it is an aluminum extrusion profile that is STRONGER than steel pound for pound and machines like oak. You also fasten it together with connectors rated over 1200 pounds shear at the cantilever.I have build such machines, because that is what I do for a living now, and I can tell you that unless you plan on a 5000 pound moving gantry setup, the modular framing is the best choice.Techno-Isel makes routers out of a similar profile.Hope these links helphttp://www.8020.nethttp://www.itemamerica.com
Chop it channel it bag it...even a shopping cart can look coolerhttp://www.eblackdesign.com3/10/06 ... Thanks for the good times '03 Vibe GT ... The '05 Matrix XRS now has the honor.
03VibeGT6Spd

Post by 03VibeGT6Spd »

IMHOMig & Flux core welding is quick and simple to learn.Most people I know that have migs, don't buy gas so they use flux core wire.Flux Core can weld thicker then Migs when power levels are equal, because the gas from the mig cools down the welding process.Migs are better on thinner metal, with less burn thru. unless you good like me. lolTig welding makes the best looking weld's. (very difficult to learn)Arc welding is cheapist (fairly easy)Just don't buy a unbranded welder like from harbor freight. They tend to break down and you can't get replacement parts for them.Try Lincoln, Century, Hobart, Miller.Lincoln bought out Clora automotive which owned the century name.There are still a lot of there closeout models on ebay, very cheap.I preffer 110volt Flux core welders with 4 power level'srated at 80-90 amps, make sure you get at least 20% duty cycle.110's are nice because how portable they are and easy to plug into most wall outlets.Goodluck
idontknowwhatimdoing

Post by idontknowwhatimdoing »

If you already have the 0.5" steel you will need a serious welder to penetrate that wall thickness. I can not do 0.5" steel on my welder at home which is a Hobart Handler 180, but you might find a welder reasonably priced that could do it if you look for used.Penetration is a big deal when you are looking for structural integrity, and 1/2" is a lot of material to go through.
Chop it channel it bag it...even a shopping cart can look coolerhttp://www.eblackdesign.com3/10/06 ... Thanks for the good times '03 Vibe GT ... The '05 Matrix XRS now has the honor.
ullbergm

Re: (idontknowwhatimdoing)

Post by ullbergm »

Quote, originally posted by idontknowwhatimdoing »If you already have the 0.5" steel you will need a serious welder to penetrate that wall thickness. I can not do 0.5" steel on my welder at home which is a Hobart Handler 180, but you might find a welder reasonably priced that could do it if you look for used.Penetration is a big deal when you are looking for structural integrity, and 1/2" is a lot of material to go through.I have not bought the material yet. do you think your model could do 3/16" or something between that and .5?How much did it run you?
ullbergm

Re: Welding question (idontknowwhatimdoing)

Post by ullbergm »

Quote, originally posted by idontknowwhatimdoing »I have build such machines, because that is what I do for a living now, and I can tell you that unless you plan on a 5000 pound moving gantry setup, the modular framing is the best choice.I had looked at 80/20 before but i was thinking that i'd be expensive and i didnt realize that it would actually be stronger. That is interesting.It would make it much easier to construct..I apreciate the info.
03VibeGT6Spd

Re: (idontknowwhatimdoing)

Post by 03VibeGT6Spd »

Quote, originally posted by idontknowwhatimdoing »If you already have the 0.5" steel you will need a serious welder to penetrate that wall thickness. I can not do 0.5" steel on my welder at home which is a Hobart Handler 180, but you might find a welder reasonably priced that could do it if you look for used.Penetration is a big deal when you are looking for structural integrity, and 1/2" is a lot of material to go through.My 110 will weld 3/8" on a single pass, 1/2 you would just have to bevel the edge a do a multi pass.Your hobart 180 will do 1/2 inch on a single pass if you turn off your gas, and use a thick flux core wire.Your Hobart is an awesome machine.Of course you know your Hobart, is made by Miller
Viben' round

Re: (03VibeGT6Spd)

Post by Viben' round »

you mean you don't want to spend $30,000 on one that is complete!?!?! good luck with it, I was in a woodshop a few months ago and saw one of those run, beautiful machine! HAve you considered a Pannel Saw with a sliding table? I'm going to be starting a cabinetry apprenticeship in July so lucky me gets to learn the craft of it all! but enough of me. Good luck with the CNC cabinet!Rob
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/485204 Mods: Lowes Mat in the trunk area, 6 1/2"Rockford Fosgate Fanatic P in the front, Pioneer 6 1/2" 3 ways in the back, JVC KD-LH810, Grafxwerks stuff, Chrome Lugs, Yakima Roof Rack, LandShark, LoadWarior, Bedmount Bike Rack (fits nicely in tracks) and BarrCrafter Snowboard racks
mcgusto82

Post by mcgusto82 »

did you ever get to weld that table together?i'm asking because i have some welding to do now. i've also never welded anything in my life. now i want to weld custom seat rails. i'm a little scared. any thoughts?
Stang2Vibe

Re: Welding question (mcgusto82)

Post by Stang2Vibe »

Practice on scrap metal first and have someone who knows how to weld show you. I'm no welder, but I've helped out around the shop at work enough to know that much.
Former owner of a 2003 Vibe GT---Great car that gave me 8 years and 83,000 miles of trouble-free service.Current owner of a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited AWD.
joholste

Post by joholste »

i would personally use a mig welder i've always liked mig welding better. just make sure you don't get the long bars to hot so that they start warping.
2003 Chevy Silverado Ext. Cab, Z71Formerly2003 Base Vibe (Frosty)
djb383

Post by djb383 »

Go to your local library and check out some books on welding, decide which welder(s) you need for your project and practice on some scrap metal that is similar to your project. Good luck.
'05 Lava Tutone base, Pwr Grp, Moon & Tunes, 16" alloys, Auto.....Yep, it's gotta HEMI