GM Standard GM6094M for motor oil

Technical info on the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix including do-it-yourself info
Man of Steel

GM Standard GM6094M for motor oil

Post by Man of Steel »

My 05 Vibe owners manual specifically states that I should only use oil that meets GM6094M standard and has the API starburst symbol on the container. What is the GM6094M standard and what if the oil is API certified but makes no mention of the GM standard? Will I screw up my engine or is this some kind of scheme to get you to buy Goodwrench oil and/or go to the dealer for oil changes?Thanks,Dan
05 AWD.
joatmon

Re: GM Standard GM6094M for motor oil (Man of Steel)

Post by joatmon »

a quick google for that spec number turned up http://www.roadandtrack.com/ar...ber=1, where they sayQuote »Goat OilI purchased a 2004 Pontiac GTO in January 2004. In my owner's manual it says to use only oil identified as meeting GM standard GM6094M and having the starburst symbol on the front of the oil container.There's nothing in the auto parts stores marked like this. I talked to the dealership and even called GM; they didn't know anything about these numbers.I know the car has a Corvette engine, but I was trying to avoid using Mobil 1 because it's so expensive.John AdamsGranbury, TexasThe General Motors oil specification you cite — GM6094M — denotes specific loads and temperatures to be met in the test lab. Our research did not uncover the specific goals of GM6094M, but quickly showed that many synthetic and mineral based oils meet the requirements, so there is nothing too exotic about your engine's oil requirements. Both Havoline (mineral) and Redline (synthetic) 5W-30 oils meet this specification, for example, so you ought to be able to find a number of oils that will work.As for the starburst, that is simply the certification mark of the American Petroleum Institute. It will be found on any quality motor oil.also, http://www.castrol.com indicates that their oils meet GM6094MI imagine most major brand oils are going to meet the spec requirements.
micbarric

Re: GM Standard GM6094M for motor oil (Man of Steel)

Post by micbarric »

Here is a list of oils (from the GM TechLink website) that meet the GM6094M standard:

Attached files synthgd.pdf (72.5 KB) 
2005 Frosty
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

OT:That guy paid over $30k for a GTO and won't put out a few extra bucks per oil change for a better performing oil?That's really sad.
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
3.6L V6 (256 HP @ 6300 rpm, 248 ft-lbs. @ 2100 rpm)
04BlkVibe

Post by 04BlkVibe »

Interesting. Didn't see any Valvoline SynPower. But I got an email from Valvoline saying that they meet that spec!
2004 Abyss Vibe 5Spd Sport Appearance Package (Factory spoilers and ground effect)Sports Package (16" Wheels and Sunroof)Power Package, Safety Package (ABS and Side Air Bags)Monotone, 30% Tint all aroundNon Factory Option: Backup Sensor, Alpine MP3 Player, Autodimming Mirror, 17" Matrix RimsCome see it all at: http://members.cardomain.com/04blkvibe
ragingfish

Re: (04BlkVibe)

Post by ragingfish »

Quote, originally posted by 04BlkVibe »Interesting. Didn't see any Valvoline SynPower. But I got an email from Valvoline saying that they meet that spec!IIRC, that's a relatively new product to the market. Comparatively, anyway.Perhaps SynPower was released after that document's last revision? EDIT: Never mind, just saw it was revised on 5/9/05. Screws that theory.
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
3.6L V6 (256 HP @ 6300 rpm, 248 ft-lbs. @ 2100 rpm)
Man of Steel

Re: (ragingfish)

Post by Man of Steel »

A little surprised I don't see Valvoline on the list. Very insightful. Thanks.
05 AWD.
SublimeVibe

Re: (silverawd26)

Post by SublimeVibe »

I switched to Mobil 1 0w30 as soon as I gto it home from the dealer and have been running it ever since .I live in extreme weather ,it can hit temps in the -40 to -75 with the windchill and I have the car starting without a problem,once I got the battery changed but thats a whole another story.
2003 VibeAWD Envy(sublime)wCharcoalPower pkg.Enkei EVO5 Hyper Black 07/08Vibe floor matsMud flaps Hood DeflectorLimo tint on rear and side windowsstainless steel insterts