How to hook up Scosche FAI-3A?

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
04BlkVibe

How to hook up Scosche FAI-3A?

Post by 04BlkVibe »

Alright...I'm planning on installing my HU unit myself. I've got a Vibe w/ the Moon and Tunes package. I read that there has been issues w/ the factory amp and decided NOT to bypass it using the Scosche FAI-3A. However, I have absolutely no CLUE how to hook it up. What's B1-B8 and what's A1-A8 on the Scosche unit? How do I wire it? Would I just need to strip the wire from the new deck harness and the harness that's connected to the vehicle and simply connect to this Scosche using the screws?? Would I still need a harness kit? the ones that has this Scoshe unit,..how did you secure it on your vehicle? Got any pics?
2004 Abyss Vibe 5Spd Sport Appearance Package (Factory spoilers and ground effect)Sports Package (16" Wheels and Sunroof)Power Package, Safety Package (ABS and Side Air Bags)Monotone, 30% Tint all aroundNon Factory Option: Backup Sensor, Alpine MP3 Player, Autodimming Mirror, 17" Matrix RimsCome see it all at: http://members.cardomain.com/04blkvibe
joatmon

Re: How to hook up Scosche FAI-3A? (04BlkVibe)

Post by joatmon »

did it come with any instructions or pin out diagrams?
damronjr

Re: How to hook up Scosche FAI-3A? (joatmon)

Post by damronjr »

Mine came with instructions. I might still have them somewhere if they are needed. You just need to decide which setting you are using and the instruction tell you how to hook it up. Read each setting description if you're not sure which setting to use and that should help determine it.
Jason Damron, San Diego, CA, Supercharged 2004 Vibe base - Gone to the wind My Vibe pics on Cardomain2009 Chevrolet HHR SS!
ragingfish

Re: How to hook up Scosche FAI-3A? (damronjr)

Post by ragingfish »

Here: I just put mine inline with my wiring harnesses... It just floats around behind the radio.

Attached files
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
3.6L V6 (256 HP @ 6300 rpm, 248 ft-lbs. @ 2100 rpm)
04BlkVibe

Post by 04BlkVibe »

Everyone that responded...many thanks! I didn't have the box open when I got it, therefore didn't notice the instructions. Just debating if I need it or not. But it seems like I do. Thanks again!!! ps: What's the black wire out of the Scoshe unit for? well..I'd better read the instruction.
2004 Abyss Vibe 5Spd Sport Appearance Package (Factory spoilers and ground effect)Sports Package (16" Wheels and Sunroof)Power Package, Safety Package (ABS and Side Air Bags)Monotone, 30% Tint all aroundNon Factory Option: Backup Sensor, Alpine MP3 Player, Autodimming Mirror, 17" Matrix RimsCome see it all at: http://members.cardomain.com/04blkvibe
ragingfish

Re: (04BlkVibe)

Post by ragingfish »

It's a ground...I don't know if it's necessary, but I hooked mine up to a ground source anyway...can't hurt!
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
04BlkVibe

Post by 04BlkVibe »

Thanks for all the feedback.
damronjr

Re: (ragingfish)

Post by damronjr »

Quote, originally posted by ragingfish »It's a ground...I don't know if it's necessary, but I hooked mine up to a ground source anyway...can't hurt!I didn't use my ground and haven't had any problems because of it. Can't hurt though if you have a convenient place to ground it.
Jason Damron, San Diego, CA, Supercharged 2004 Vibe base - Gone to the wind My Vibe pics on Cardomain2009 Chevrolet HHR SS!
04BlkVibe

Post by 04BlkVibe »

Help..when I took the factory radio off..I see 2 harness...one is a 24 pin gray and the other is a 12 pin black. Where is the B3 on ...is it on the 24 pin gray? I have the m&t package..and I'm trying to find the wire to splice..doesn't quite give me the leverage to do so
damronjr

Re: (04BlkVibe)

Post by damronjr »

Quote, originally posted by 04BlkVibe »Help..when I took the factory radio off..I see 2 harness...one is a 24 pin gray and the other is a 12 pin black. Where is the B3 on ...is it on the 24 pin gray? I have the m&t package..and I'm trying to find the wire to splice..doesn't quite give me the leverage to do soyes, I believe if you are using that for a remote. It should be A3, though, not B3. Also, I used this as well for a remote and it does NOT turn off with the stereo, only with the ignitionaccording to these
04BlkVibe

Post by 04BlkVibe »

so..would I need the 24 pin harness when I install my new hu??? or do I just have it lying around behind the dash?Also..what's the best way to splice wires (T-taps?)
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

damrom:You got the wrong schematic there. That end view is for the AMPLIFER end of the wiring...THIS is the one you need:Pin B3: Antenna Amplifer Voltage...also signals the regular amplifer.The 12 pin harness doesn't get reused. Just let it float back there.

2009 PONTIAC G8
damronjr

Post by damronjr »

Thanks for the assist ragingfish!
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

That's why you guys keep me around!

2009 PONTIAC G8
damronjr

Post by damronjr »

Quote, originally posted by ragingfish »That's why you guys keep me around! Better?
ragingfish

Re: (damronjr)

Post by ragingfish »

Quote, originally posted by damronjr »Better? Much!Thanks!

2009 PONTIAC G8
04BlkVibe

Post by 04BlkVibe »

Thanks for all the help. Finally hooked it up today. Sounds GREAT. And I love this SITE!!!
JesseWHHS

Post by JesseWHHS »

bringing it back from the dead. lol. I am installing an amp and sub in my car. In preparation I installed an amp kit already. I also installed the FAI-3a, or so I thought. I hooked into the rear speaker wires on both sides. and ran the wires back to where my factory amp is. Then to test it, I simply hooked up a crappy old speaker from a stereo and it didn't work. I touch the SAME speaker wires to the wires I hooked into on both sides and it works fine. Is my converter messed up or what!?!?!the first one I had had a HUGE scratch on the back and all the little black knobs inside removed. I took it back and realizes it must have been a return cause the little removable screw driver thing was on my new one and not on the old. The reason i returned it was cause I saw a big piece of solder in the package, I assumed it came from the converter. lol. So I went back to trade it in. I wanna be sure this one is broke B4 I take the crap back.lemme know how I can test to be sure its messed up. I may just be retarded. for clarification, lemme tell u whats hooked up exactly....as per the instructions, I hooked up the driver and passenger rears in the proper "A" inputs. A5 - A8 I believe. To test I hooked the speaker into B7 and B8. no sound at all. I touched the leads to the FAI-3a to the speaker and the speaker works just FINE. I have tried different setting but I dunno what is wrong here. PLEASE HELP ASAP.
2003 Vibe with a 2006 Corolla Engine 16" alloys with Fuzion HR-i's on emred neon underglowtinted; 35 on 4 doors, and 15 on back 3 windowsBosch Platinum Fusion +4 spark plugsmoon and tunes package15" Kicker CVR in kicker ported box with Rockford Fosgate P5002 amp
Raivis

Post by Raivis »

maybe this is a stupid ? but do you really need that for a hu install.what exactly is it i know alot about stereos just never seen one like that
You got owned by a wagon..... Life is a sexually transmitted disease!!! check me out at http://www.myspace.com/raiviskysdad
dianebrat

Re: (JesseWHHS)

Post by dianebrat »

Jesse, I'm wondering why you need the FAI-3?We normally use it to take speaker level outputs from an aftermarket HU, and force them down to match the M&T amp.If you're not using the M&T amp, but are using the stock stereo with an aftermarket AMP, then that would also work out for you to create the RCA inputs the aftermarket unit needs.In all cases, you may need to adjust the gain with the lil adjusters.Keep in mind, you need something to turn on the remote amp in all cases, and on the METRA harnesses, its the blue/white wire.Your last paragraph leads me to think you are not turning the aftermarket amp on with the blue/white wire.. etc.I have a JVC HU, and have the FAI-3 to convert down to the level the M&T amp wants.You may want to read all the other stickies in the audio section since there are things mentioned like:Do you have M&T or not? (M&T uses 2 ohm speakers)Proper wiring to the M&T amp vs aftermarket.Hope this helps..Diane
last of the '06 AWDslava red monotone, preferred, sport, and side airbags
JesseWHHS

Post by JesseWHHS »

im keeping the stock HU. Im just installing a new amp for a sub in the back. I am using this to get the RCA inputs only. I dont have teh amp yet, im still waiting on that. I was just using an old speaker from the house to test the FAI.if I put it directly on the speaker wires I have going INTO the converter, the speaker works fine. But if i put it into the outputs "B" on the converter NOTHIN happens. I've tried adjusting the Gain adjustments and nothing. Is there some way I can test the RCA outs w/o an amp to hook up? When I get my stuff I wanna be able to hook it up and be done. Thanks for the help guys!!
2003 Vibe with a 2006 Corolla Engine 16" alloys with Fuzion HR-i's on emred neon underglowtinted; 35 on 4 doors, and 15 on back 3 windowsBosch Platinum Fusion +4 spark plugsmoon and tunes package15" Kicker CVR in kicker ported box with Rockford Fosgate P5002 amp
dianebrat

Re: (JesseWHHS)

Post by dianebrat »

Jesse, The FAI-3 is working like it's supposed to, it's supposed to strip the higher voltage signal out of the HU "speaker outputs" and bring them down to "line level"You won't be able to hear anything with a speaker on a line level output (ok, ok, disclaimer, you might, but it will be very faint and very quiet)If you have a boombox with RCA input jacks, you can use that to test the hookups.Since the FAI-3 has removed all the amplification, you need something with an amplifier to test with, and a boombox will do that. (ipods, etc won't, you need something with amplification and speakers)Diane
JesseWHHS

Post by JesseWHHS »

Hmm. well haha. I feel kinda dumb now. I am supposed to go buy my amp today from my buddy. a 800 watt rockrord. WOOT. I guess I will hook that up along with that same crap speaker just to see if its working. Then maybe turn up the volume and see what happens when a crap walmart speaker gets 800 watts of power Thanks for the help. I guess I won't return it after all.ALSO, is the amp turn on lead, or w/e its called, the double black wire in the back of the stock HU? I read on another thread that it was. I've tapped into that and ran it to the back in preperation of the amp. Here someone said it was blue/white. I thought it was, but a thread said it was the lead with TWO black wires coming from the same lead. They said either of those wires would work.
dianebrat

Post by dianebrat »

It's all about learning.. every day.. this is a good thing We're referring to the Blue/white wire since that's the color in the aftermarket harnesses, I believe that when you're seeing references to that hitting a double black, they are discussion the GM side of the harness.Diane
JesseWHHS

Post by JesseWHHS »

oo, alright. Well im keeping the HU stock for right now. I'll save up later and get a nice HU.I bought the amp B4 work today, and after work I come home and hook it up. It works. YAY. its a rockford 5002. I got it off a buddy for $75. Its MSRP on their website is like $500. but it can be had for about $250 online.i hooked it up with the crap speaker and its goin. Fedex is delivering my sub tomorrow. i think imma skip school to wait for it. It HAS to be signed for. haha. so the parents prob wont mind to much. I'll get pics of my stuff when I get it all in there. YAY
sativa1234

Re: How to hook up Scosche FAI-3A? (ragingfish)

Post by sativa1234 »

do u still need the FIA-3A if your using a premium amplifier? what do you need exactly if i have the stereo & the amplifier. im just trying to make the murderous price of cartoys go down..