Emmisions?

Arizona, California, Colorado, New Mexico, Nevada, Utah
Devlop

Emmisions?

Post by Devlop »

Does anyone know if there are emmision checks in AZ like they have in CA? I plan on moving to the Phoenix area hopefully in a couple of months and I'm curious about the troubles I'm gonna have with the law and my turbo. Also, what's the highest octane that's sold out there? Thanks.
nismo

Re: Emmisions? (Devlop)

Post by nismo »

They have to sell over 91 octane because of a lot of these high end cars need more than 91.Inder Singh
2008 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbo - Fun stuff under there somewhere 1998 Nissan Sentra - Sold2004 Pontiac Vibe - 107k and SoldCosmo CAI
ragingfish

Re: Emmisions? (Devlop)

Post by ragingfish »

This kinda says what they test for:Quote »est TypesThe model year and engine type of your vehicle determines which type of test your vehicle will receive. Brief descriptions of the tests follow. * IM 147: This is the enhanced test used for most 1981 through 1995 gasoline-powered vehicles in the metro Phoenix inspection program. In this test, the vehicle is driven on rollers (called a dynamometer) at varying speeds to simulate urban driving. The exhaust is continuously measured and the results are shown in grams per mile. * Steady State Loaded/Idle: This test is used for most 1967 through 1995 vehicles in Tucson and 1967 through 1980 models in Phoenix. The vehicle is tested at idle and (depending on vehicle class) at approximately 25 to 30 miles per hour. The results are shown in percent or parts per million. * On Board Diagnostics: The newest test to be used in Arizona is the on-board diagnostic test. Used on 1996 and newer light duty vehicles only, engine operating data is accessed by connecting directly to a computer in the vehicle that continuously monitors engine emission control systems operation. The on-board diagnostic test can identify problems before they lead to engine damage and emissions system failure. * Diesel: Diesel vehicles are tested for opacity (smoke density). The test uses an opacity meter, which is an instrument that measures the percentage of opacity of the exhaust. Light duty diesel vehicles and all Tucson area diesel vehicles are tested under load on a dynamometer. In metro Phoenix, heavy duty diesel vehicles are tested using a procedure called "snap acceleration" or "snap idle." * Tampering: In addition to one of the above tests, a vehicle may undergo a visual inspection to determine the presence of certain emission control components as installed by the manufacturer. Inspection includes catalytic converter, operational air pump, positive crankcase ventilation system and evaporative control system. These inspections coupled with the evaporative system integrity (pressure) test constitute the tampering inspection.Fuel Additives and Retrofit DevicesA retrofit device or fuel additive is a product that, when installed on or added to the motor fuel of a vehicle, will decrease exhaust emissions and/or increase fuel economy. Inspection and maintenance (IM) data, literature, tapes and California Air Resources Board Exemptions have historically not supported the claims that a device reduces exhaust emissions or saves fuel.ADEQ does not maintain a program to evaluate or certify the effectiveness of retrofit devices or fuel additives to reduce exhaust emissions. All inquiries for evaluation or certification are referred to U.S.EPA or the State of California; both of which maintain programs that provide technical assistance in the development of test protocol and the evaluation of the product effects on emissions/fuel economy. These programs use the complete federal test procedure, as described in the Code of Federal Regulations, Title 40, Part 86 Leaving ADEQ Web site, which is the only valid test for device evaluation.Modification to a vehicle without using certified parts and following an approved process may result in I/M test failure. Installing a retrofit device on a vehicle without a reasonable basis for knowing that the device will not adversely affect a vehicle's emissions may result in civil penalties. But if that doesn't help, you should be able to find what you need here:http://www.azdeq.gov/environ/air/vei/
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
3.6L V6 (256 HP @ 6300 rpm, 248 ft-lbs. @ 2100 rpm)
JohnC

Post by JohnC »

Good answer ragingfish, luckily for my old (84) Jeep I live just outside the emmisions test line of death. I couldn't believe waiting in line at the emmisions place (when I lived in Phx) cars that were smokin up the place would pass the test every time. I think it's just away to collect more $$. About a year ago there was a big "emission test" scandal, turns out a large group of the employees were taking bribes.
Base Two Tone Satellite, Auto, & Pwr Pkg....my current commuting car.
Devlop

Re: (JohnC)

Post by Devlop »

Wow, thanks for all the info Raging.Edit: I read the last post wrong.