ARGHHH I Broke the Seal I modded my VIBE!!

Arizona, California, Colorado, New Mexico, Nevada, Utah
kimchimik

ARGHHH I Broke the Seal I modded my VIBE!!

Post by kimchimik »

After Having the vibe for 1 year and not doing anything to it i broke down. First mod was the Cold air intake.Then Removing the BadgesMy Next Mod putting this in my car:
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

what is that on the bottom? i can't tell from the small pics
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

looks like a motherboard for a pc and a cd/dvd rom drive or something? mods are bad (removed)!!
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

ya, i'd love to have a car pc but right now, i use my work laptop since it's smaller than my home one. that seems to work for now. plus, then i can keep track of my sales and where i've gone w/ the GPS tracker.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

yea i need to free some of the funds up for that laptop i was gonna put under the seat w/ gps... just need to find the best spot for a lcd screen
kimchimik

Post by kimchimik »

hmmm they were bigger when i posted them but yeah at the bottom it's a PC. Looking into cost/benefit of doing a pc with navagation versus getting a navagation system itself. Right now it looks like i'll come in very much under buying one versus building one.
Flip-Side

Re: (kimchimik)

Post by Flip-Side »

Building one is way cheaper, not to mention you can use it for mp3s and videos as well. Good luck with it bro. Post it up in here again when you finish.
Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others have labored hard for.
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

kimchimik - do you know where your going to put the screen? heck yea building your own is way cheaper. oh yea, take pics when putting it in :D
kimchimik

Post by kimchimik »

screen is going to go where the stock headunit is. I am very adamant about making this look like it came from the factory. The only snag i have is where to put an aftermarket head unit. I saw MatrixPC's set up and i think ti's absolutley clean i just don't like where the head unit is. I've been playing with some ideas but am very open to suggestions.
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

well,if the screen is where the stock headunit is, the aftermarket could go in the glove box, the armrest OR you could mount the screen on a arm from the floor....hmmm i wonder how the 2005 headunit with screen works for plug in's etc. you would have to have the moons & toons or if add amps for the speakers with that headunit, i forgot if its in disc or a seperate disc changer (ie glove box).what if it was on a arm thing and when you open your arm rest it could flip out, i was also thinking of the sun visor but thats a bad spot if it was going to be a gps screen :/ have you decided on what gps your going to use?
kimchimik

Post by kimchimik »

for me GPS is the last thing on the list, i'm looking right now to play MPEG's from a hard Disk, MP3's, DVD's and possibly radio. Radio is teetering. If i can't find a suitable spot for a headunit. I didn't like the placement of where MatrixPC put his headunit. Like i said before i want it to look like the factory installed it so i'm trying to find some places for it. I was thinking of putting it in the dash and moving up the screen and relocating the defrost and hazard buttons to where the ac outlet is. Still in the planing phase now, i only decided to do this only 3 weeks ago. Will keep you posted on how the progress goes
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

if you relocate the HU, then i'd say put it in the console. that way it's easier to get to and you won't have to lean over and reach if you are driving.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

yup i agree with relocating it so its all in the same spot and moving the defrost and hazards.
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

here is link to what someone else did in a mazda 3?https://www.timekiller.org/carpc/
kimchimik

Post by kimchimik »

thanks it's not something i'm digging though because the shift knob is in the way of the screen. I've pretty much decided on the relocation idea. I'll draw up a diagram in a few days.I'm not doing any modifications to the car yet, just exploring the ideas.