Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi and Florida: State of Emergency

Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Tennessee, West Virginia, North & South Carolina
VforVIBE

Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi and Florida: State of Emergency

Post by VforVIBE »

Quote, originally posted by http://www.ecpulse.com/en/topstory/2010 ... ing-worst/ »Gulf of Mexico oil leak worsening, state of emergency declared in several states!!!Although president Obama is reassuring people on the Gulf Coast that his government is doing all it can to “protect the natural resources” endangered from BP’s oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, he is also warning of an “unprecedented environmental disaster” since the oil slick continues to grow, moving towards the US shorelines.The oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico began on April 22 when a British Petroleum (BP) oilrig exploded and sank about 16 miles off the Louisiana coast, killing 11 crew members, rupturing an oil rig, which has been spewing around 200,000 gallons of crude oil into the sea each day, three times more than what was originally estimated. Now the oil slick spread over 9,000 square kilometers (3,500 square miles), reaching the shores of southern states, thereby Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi and Florida declared state of emergency. Now those states are seeking ways to deal with this catastrophe and legal options to deal with damages since some of those regions live mainly on fishing. Despite the efforts made by the cleanup crews to limit the widespread of the pollution, the oil slick is moving fast so its expected to reach the Pensacola Beach coast by Tuesday or Wednesday. This determined the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) to ban recreational and commercial fishing in a 6,817-square-mile area of federal waters from the Mississippi River to Pensacola Bay for at least 10 days. It seems that there are growing questions about the safety of the seafood from that area. "It's kind of a precautionary move, which we felt was necessary to ensure the public safety and to ensure consumer confidence in the Gulf of Mexico seafood in light of all the issues that are going on now”, said Roy Crabtree, southeast regional administrator for NOAA Fisheries. The decision left many fishermen with a gloomy outlook for their businesses, "It's going to collapse our local economy for sure," said a licensed fisherman. Thereby, in an attempt to measure the extent of the damage of what might become one of worst ecological disasters in the US history, President Barack Obama who deployed the Navy to help limit the extend of the disaster, made a visit to the site of the spill off the Louisiana Coast. “It’s a massive and potentially unprecedented environmental disaster. Let me be clear: BP is responsible for this leak, so BP will be paying the bill. The government will do whatever it takes for as long as it takes to stop this crisis”, Obama said. But BP is defending it self by saying its “a failed piece of equipment” that should be blamed for this disaster which might turn out to be even greater than the 1989 spill when Exxon Valdez in Alaska sent 258,000 barrels into the sea. Meanwhile, the spill is threatening to destroy not only wildlife and tourism in the region, but also the abundant fishing industry. But BP highlighted the difficulty to shut off the well a mile beneath the sea saying that in the “best-case scenario, it will take a week to shut off the oil leak”. However, even if the leak will be stopped in one week, the question is, how long will it take for the gulf to recover, months or maybe years!?
“I live my life free of compromise, and step into the shadows without complaint or regret.”
Viva la Pontiac! 2009 Jet Black GT
Kari

Re: Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi and Florida: State of Emergency (VforVIBE)

Post by Kari »

This really, really sucks. It's time for BP to step up and do whatever it takes to stop this well. Quit talking about it and DO IT.
GenVibe Global Moderator
bodhi_tree777

Re: Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi and Florida: State of Emergency (Kari)

Post by bodhi_tree777 »

There's a sad point proven with this. We should not be approving oil rigs drilling at depths where we do not have the technology to contain a blowout like this. This thing is an absolute disaster.
james / bodhi tree studio / tattoos & illustration / http://www.bodhitreestudio.comebay store : vintage clothing & toys---03 Satellite Vibe GT // 04 Neptune base // 1986 VW Golf // 1990 VW Golf GL---
ponta2147

Re: Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi and Florida: State of Emergency (Kari)

Post by ponta2147 »

Quote, originally posted by Kari »This really, really sucks. It's time for BP to step up and do whatever it takes to stop this well. Quit talking about it and DO IT.I dunno, don't you think if they had a solution they'd be implementing it like yesterday? I mean they are losing ridiculous amounts of money every minute this leak continues... I'm sure they're panicking just as much as the government is to try to come up with something that will work.I agree that we should rethink drilling if we don't have a contingency plan available for these worst case scenarios... you'd think we would by now? I'm not anti-drilling but if we can't handle something like this...
2009 2.4L Automatic with Preferred Package and Sun and Sound package May 2010 MOTM March 2011 VOTM
jake75

Re: Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi and Florida: State of Emergency (bodhi_tree777)

Post by jake75 »

I read that there is a technology - uses a separate shut off device that is activated by sonar I believe. It is used in other parts of the world but not required in the U.S That said, they are not 100% sure it works because they have never had to use it. However, it would have been nice to have that option - to see if that backup would function. Unfortunately our Congress is too busy with more important things - like regulation of the fees for carry on luggage - to make such devices mandatory.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
bodhi_tree777

Re: Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi and Florida: State of Emergency (jake75)

Post by bodhi_tree777 »

Quote, originally posted by jake75 »I read that there is a technology - uses a separate shut off device that is activated by sonar I believe. It is used in other parts of the world but not required in the U.S That said, they are not 100% sure it works because they have never had to use it. However, it would have been nice to have that option - to see if that backup would function. Unfortunately our Congress is too busy with more important things - like regulation of the fees for carry on luggage - to make such devices mandatory.I would guess that the oil industry probably has a bit of influence there. Much like the mining industry (which I've been hearing a lot about here in WV) big oil pays to play, with as little regulation as possible.Honestly, the oil industry should implement things like safety controls just as a cost control measure if not for the greater good. I'm sure the millions that additional safety gear would cost per rig pales in comparison to the money BP is going to have to dole out to clean this mess up.
james / bodhi tree studio / tattoos & illustration / http://www.bodhitreestudio.comebay store : vintage clothing & toys---03 Satellite Vibe GT // 04 Neptune base // 1986 VW Golf // 1990 VW Golf GL---
ColonelPanic

Re: Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi and Florida: State of Emergency

Post by ColonelPanic »

Without dragging this into the asylum, I'm leave it at saying this absolutely disgusts me. The sick or dying wildlife and the permanent contamination of their homes... The loss of food supplies and the economic impact on the region.. If this gets picked up by the gulf loop current, and it probably will - look for it to head straight for key west then on up the east coast. This is going to have an impact FAR beyond the gulf.Drill baby drill.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
waveresponder

Post by waveresponder »

get ready to pay for this at the pump eventually IMOI'm sure BP will pay for it until it bankrupts them or just use our money to do it.they make hundreds of billions annually I think I read correct me if im wrongEDIT, AOL article i read... says they make annual revenue of 250 billion http://www.aolnews.com/nation/...60304
ponta2147

Re: Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi and Florida: State of Emergency (waveresponder)

Post by ponta2147 »

Quote, originally posted by waveresponder »get ready to pay for this at the pump eventually IMOI'm sure BP will pay for it until it bankrupts them or just use our money to do it.they make hundreds of billions annually I think I read correct me if im wrongEDIT, AOL article i read... says they make annual revenue of 250 billion http://www.aolnews.com/nation/...60304Well sure, but what are their expenses annually? I could make a million a year but if it costs me $999,999.99 to make and sell my product per year I'm not exactly rich. Sorry just being nitpicky about profits vs. profit margins. I do hope that BP fronts most of the money for this, if only because it isn't the taxpayers' job and it is THEIR product.
2009 2.4L Automatic with Preferred Package and Sun and Sound package May 2010 MOTM March 2011 VOTM
BlueCrush

Re: Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi and Florida: State of Emergency (waveresponder)

Post by BlueCrush »

I heard on the news on Sunday that this particular oil rig did not produce any crude that we are using, it was an exploration drilling rig. So oil production and gas prices should not be affected. Seafood prices will go up in some parts of the country, however. Fortunately, Minnesota doesn't get it's seafood from the Gulf, so ours should remain stable for the most part.
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
houseofbugs

Post by houseofbugs »

Exploratory or not they NEED to fix this. It will have a long term affect on the environment around the spill.
BlueCrush

Re: (houseofbugs)

Post by BlueCrush »

Quote, originally posted by houseofbugs »Exploratory or not they NEED to fix this. It will have a long term affect on the environment around the spill.That's a given. I was just responding to others who were expressing concern about gas prices.
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
epcIII

Post by epcIII »

Good (and unbiased in my opinion) article of the pros and cons of offshore drilling: http://money.cnn.com/2010/05/0...pt=T2