Florida blackout

Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Tennessee, West Virginia, North & South Carolina
ColonelPanic

Florida blackout

Post by ColonelPanic »

http://www.reuters.com/article...nel=0Haven't heard anybody mention the outage, or maybe you're still without power. lol!Did you guys survive? Hope everybody is out of the dark now.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
VforVIBE

Re: Florida blackout (ColonelPanic)

Post by VforVIBE »

Yep, caught it at work, gotta love them back up generators!!! The power was back within minutes.My mom works at Progress Energy and she said if one power company goes out like that, it'll take many with them, that's why it was so bad.
“I live my life free of compromise, and step into the shadows without complaint or regret.”
Viva la Pontiac! 2009 Jet Black GT
silvrhawk7

Re: Florida blackout (ColonelPanic)

Post by silvrhawk7 »

I have to say, good ol' Florida Power and Light strikes again.....It was an enginner error...
In Memory, taken too early in a rear end collision
Sunrise: June 2006, Sunset: Jan 2015 :cry:
Miles 129,000
2006 Silver Mono, Base 4-Speed auto.
In Memory of Pontiac Motor Division 1926-2010
In Memory of the Pontiac Vibe 2002-2009
VforVIBE

Re: Florida blackout (silvrhawk7)

Post by VforVIBE »

Quote, originally posted by silvrhawk7 »It was an enginner error...As are most power blackouts/meltdowns.
“I live my life free of compromise, and step into the shadows without complaint or regret.”
engineertwin2

Re: Florida blackout (VforVIBE)

Post by engineertwin2 »

That's a shot below the belt! Specifically since I work in power and I'm an engineer.I guess I'd need some concrete data that indicates most of these errors are engineers' faults. Three Mile Island was due to operator error and insufficient instrumentation that had been cut due to budgetary constraints. Chernobyl was the result of an engineering test, but most of those involved at Chernobyl had little to no experience in nuclear power. The Northeastern Blackout of 2003 was caused by overgrown trees.Some here have ranged from birds to environmental (heat) to (most commonly) equipment failures...Stuff happens, but without those engineers, we'd be without power. (and I'm off my soapbox)
2004 Vibe GT Lava Monotone, Moon & Tunes PackageMods:Homelink17" TenzoR Mach 10s, Black w/ Red grooveTintFormer Cars: '87 Subaru DL, '99 Chevy Malibu (hated it)'99 VW Passat (like it), '99 Volvo S80 T6 (wet dreams are made of it)
VforVIBE

Re: Florida blackout (engineertwin2)

Post by VforVIBE »

Quote, originally posted by engineertwin2 »That's a shot below the belt! Specifically since I work in power and I'm an engineer.I guess I'd need some concrete data that indicates most of these errors are engineers' faults. Some here have ranged from birds to environmental (heat) to (most commonly) equipment failures...Stuff happens, but without those engineers, we'd be without power.Let me rephrase... most power blackouts/meltdowns are human error. ie. chernobyl, Three Mile Island. Just let the computers designed by the engineers do thier job. better?
engineertwin2

Post by engineertwin2 »

Quote, originally posted by VforVIBE »Let me rephrase... most power blackouts/meltdowns are human error. ie. chernobyl, Three Mile Island. Just let the computers designed by the engineers do thier job. better? Much better. Sorry to be the whiny pants of the group.
2004 Vibe GT Lava Monotone, Moon & Tunes PackageMods:Homelink17" TenzoR Mach 10s, Black w/ Red grooveTintFormer Cars: '87 Subaru DL, '99 Chevy Malibu (hated it)'99 VW Passat (like it), '99 Volvo S80 T6 (wet dreams are made of it)
CoolAKid

Re: Florida blackout (engineertwin2)

Post by CoolAKid »

In a totally unrelated blackout, we had a tornado blow though Lake City on Friday morning, March 7th. It totally destroyed several of the buildings down at my work, knocked down power lines and snapped off power poles (hence the blackout), and managed to batter up my faithful '06 Vibe a fair bit. 3 dents in the driver side doors, 2 in the hood, plus various scratches and such all around. Oh, and something blew into the rear drivers side tire and cut the sidewall. All told, a little over $2800.00 damage (to my car - about half a million to our buildings). I've got it scheduled to go into the body shop on April 14th. Hopefully, it will come out as good as new. It really pained me to see this, as I'd had my car a year and a half, and this was its first "scratch". But we all survived okay with no injuries, and of course that's really what matters. Cars can be repaired or replaced.
"...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that Heavenly Glory..."'06 Base Platinum Two-Tone. Automatic. Manual doors and windows. Old style factory crossbars AND GM Utility Bars. Old style center console lid. All-weather front floormats. Rear bumper fascia protector. Drawtite hitch.
VforVIBE

Re: Florida blackout (CoolAKid)

Post by VforVIBE »

Glad to here you're okay.
CoolAKid

Post by CoolAKid »

Thanks. Yeah, things did get a bit intense for about twenty or thirty seconds. There were probably about 30 people or so in the main building, plus a few people out in our (lumber) yard. The thing more or less missed the main building by about 60 feet or so, but took out several of the outbuildings, demolishing one totally, and tearing roofs and sidewalls off several others. A UPS truck that had just driven out our gate fifteen seconds earlier got flipped on its side (driver was okay), several other people lost car windows and had crushed roofs. Of course the damage was worse elsewhere in town. Several homes were completely destroyed, and two people lost their lives. Makes you stop and think, and count your blessings.
"...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that Heavenly Glory..."'06 Base Platinum Two-Tone. Automatic. Manual doors and windows. Old style factory crossbars AND GM Utility Bars. Old style center console lid. All-weather front floormats. Rear bumper fascia protector. Drawtite hitch.
JohnC

Post by JohnC »

Quote, originally posted by VforVIBE »Let me rephrase... most power blackouts/meltdowns are human error. ie. chernobyl, Three Mile Island. Just let the computers designed by the engineers do thier job. better? Wait a mnute now...I am an operator and have seen many plant trips due to computer software & hardware problems. No matter what the problem is you can say it was "human error", since humanes make the equipment that makes (or does not make) electricity.All in all we have a very reliable electrical grid in this country, and it will only stay that way if we continue to invest in the infrastructure.
Base Two Tone Satellite, Auto, & Pwr Pkg....my current commuting car.
VforVIBE

Re: Florida blackout (JohnC)

Post by VforVIBE »

Quote, originally posted by JohnC »Wait a mnute now...I am an operator and have seen many plant trips due to computer software & hardware problems. No matter what the problem is you can say it was "human error", since humanes make the equipment that makes (or does not make) electricity.All in all we have a very reliable electrical grid in this country, and it will only stay that way if we continue to invest in the infrastructure.You guys are killing me.