Gustav

Arkansas, Alabama, Kansas, Louisiana, Missouri, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Texas
joatmon

Gustav

Post by joatmon »

Good luck all y'all in the gulf, looks like this one is heading for Louisiana again. Remember to post up when its over so we know you're safe
ColonelPanic

Re: Gustav

Post by ColonelPanic »

Ditto, it looks like it's going to be a rough one. Be safe, folks! Get yourselves and loved ones out of harm's way!.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
DarkVibe

Re: Gustav (ColonelPanic)

Post by DarkVibe »

I heard they're not opening shelters, they're pretty much kickin everyone out... remember, they were on the weak side (west) of Katrina. Mississippi got the worst of it.btw: happy anniversary New Orleans
2009 Red Vibe GT auto
ColonelPanic

Re: Gustav (DarkVibe)

Post by ColonelPanic »

I'm sure they've got shelters set up somewhere down there... If those are full they have plenty of opportunities hundreds of miles away. Read about a town in Missouri that is taking in people who have evacuated and come to find out they're also setting up something across the bridge from me. According to our news here Kentucky is opening up a wing at the state fairgrounds for evacuees and their pets. Even flying some of them in.

Image Image
DarkVibe

Post by DarkVibe »

Quote, originally posted by ColonelPanic »I'm sure they've got shelters set up somewhere down there... If those are full they have plenty of opportunities hundreds of miles away. Read about a town in Missouri that is taking in people who have evacuated and come to find out they're also setting up something across the bridge from me. According to our news here Kentucky is opening up a wing at the state fairgrounds for evacuees and their pets. Even flying some of them in.yeah, other states are and further north, and i'm glad to hear that they're planning ahead, but the new orleans area, they're just trying to get people out.
2009 Red Vibe GT auto
ColonelPanic

Re: Gustav (DarkVibe)

Post by ColonelPanic »

That's probably the best thing to do, get the heck outta dodge.

Image Image
DarkVibe

Post by DarkVibe »

Quote, originally posted by ColonelPanic »That's probably the best thing to do, get the heck outta dodge.yeah, i just heard from some southern family members that Gustav is at this moment a category 4, 5 (160 mph sustained and gusts of 180 mph) being the worst, which he'll hit before slamming New Orleans.this very well be the end of New Orleans.
2009 Red Vibe GT auto
zionzr2

Post by zionzr2 »

Austin, TX has been set up as a Shelter location and we can handle around 25,000 evacuees.I'm glad to see there are lots of people heeding the orders to get out of dodge!!I hope and Pray all who need to want to and need help to are able to evacuate. Those who elect to stay behind your life is in your own hands. I pray for all that loss of life and loss of property is minimal.
ColonelPanic

Re: (zionzr2)

Post by ColonelPanic »

Quote, originally posted by zionzr2 »Those who elect to stay behind your life is in your own hands. That's pretty much what Nagin told everybody yesterday... He was in rare form for that speech.Looks like many did go... A co-worker's family didn't though, they live in Houma. His mom is in her 90's I think and confined to a wheelchair, very hard to get moved around. Last I heard they were going to stick it out, I hope they'll be OK.On a bizarre note, ABC aired the Extreme Makeover Home Edition episode in New Orleans where they built a home for Katrina victims - extremely poor timing on their part.

Image Image
breezd

Post by breezd »

I had an older man check into my hotel I work at tonight that is from Louisiana, said he was runnin from the hurricane. I think that coming to WI is plenty safe distance from the hurricane!
THEN: 2003 Pontiac Vibe GT * Lowered * CAI * Sound SystemNOW: 2005 Infiniti FX35 RWD * Stock
ColonelPanic

Re: (breezd)

Post by ColonelPanic »

Wow, that's really going far away! He'll be alright, provided nothing springs up in the lake.

Image Image
ou.grizzly

Post by ou.grizzly »

Prayers and best wishes to everyone along or living in the South/Gulf Coast Region - may all be safe.
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
altimar

Re: (ou.grizzly)

Post by altimar »

Quote, originally posted by ou.grizzly »Prayers and best wishes to everyone along or living in the South/Gulf Coast Region - may all be safe. Much appreciated. I'm going to ride it out with my family in Opelousas. Gustav weakened a good bit in the last 24 hours or so, so we think it's not going to be any worse than Lili a couple years ago. My parents house has a few big oaks around it , so we're going to my grandmother's house (no trees and generator). The biggest problem so far is that the cats are none too pleased being in a strange place, lol. We're supposed to start getting high winds around 6AM tomorrow. I can check in later as long as I have internet.
2007 Vibe: Wave monotone, Auto, sun & sound
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

The reporters covering the hurricane are all dejected because the levees are holding, and they get really excited when soemthing blows past them. The sad looks on the faces of the reporters who got sent to where the hurricane only barely touched are hilarious, they feel so left out.
altimar

Re: (joatmon)

Post by altimar »

Well, Opelousas got it worse than we figured. Lots of trees down. We're not sure anybody in town has power. My parents' house is 1/3rd of a mile from a main highway and in that distance there were four trees across the road: Several neighbors ending up clearing them out of the way by late Tuesday morning.Unfortunately, a tree fell on my parents' house: Fortunately (unfortunately?), it looks like it's mostly being held up by the powerline, only touching the roof in a couple spots: We couldn't find any evidence of water leaking through the roof, so that's good. We cut as much of the tree as we could, but there is still a lot of it left. So they're still out of power and don't expect to get it back for at least three or four days. There were several JF Electric trucks (from Illinois, I believe) doing work within the area. Props to those guys working in the rain and all! I went back to Lafayette this evening and we have power here, so I'm going back to work tomorrow.
Raivis

Re: Gustav

Post by Raivis »

i think its pretty retarded of the residents that were saying that next time they aren't leaving. bc it ended up not being nearly as bad as predicted residents are saying it was a waste of money to leave. one lady said something like " next time ill paddle for days but im not leaving" can people not be happy that they were ready this time instead of what happened with katrina? last time they were complaining that the government wasn't ready and should have evacuated earlier. they did and do they get a thanx nope they get critisized for evacuating and gustav not being as bad. im not big on our government but they finally try to do something right and people can't be happy. stupid people!!!
You got owned by a wagon..... Life is a sexually transmitted disease!!! check me out at http://www.myspace.com/raiviskysdad
engineertwin2

Post by engineertwin2 »

Glad to hear you and yours are safe, altimar.
2004 Vibe GT Lava Monotone, Moon & Tunes PackageMods:Homelink17" TenzoR Mach 10s, Black w/ Red grooveTintFormer Cars: '87 Subaru DL, '99 Chevy Malibu (hated it)'99 VW Passat (like it), '99 Volvo S80 T6 (wet dreams are made of it)
Toasted7

Re: Gustav (Raivis)

Post by Toasted7 »

The general public can NEVER be happy... someone is always going to find something to complain about no matter how prepared or unprepared the govt. is for any situation.They told me to leave too early... too late... where's my food?... I want a flat panel TV... etc.Those kind of people (removed) me off, they should just shut up and be happy they are safe!I'm glad to hear you are safe as well!
VMFIC of Cincinnati Scikotics Cincinnati Scikotics sponsored by: KerryScion.com My other ride is your mom
altimar

Re: Gustav (Raivis)

Post by altimar »

I understand your point, but as often happens after "disasters" (of any kind) there is a severe over-reaction. You could say that being over-prepared is a good thing, but from the point of view of those that evacuated unnecessarily, they spent about 10 hours driving (with kids and pets), probably $200 on gas, and several hundred on food and lodging. On top of that, they finally get back home and all the food in their fridge and freezer is bad because the power was out for 24 hours or so. For most people that's another several hundred dollars wasted and an hour or two of work to clean them out.They get home and talk with their neighbors who stayed home with their generators and maybe burned $100 in gas (to power fridge, freezer, and AC) and everything was fine. You can see why some people will be hesitant to leave so early next time. By the time many had already left, Gustav ended up weakening pretty dramatically (barely cat 2 I think). I think next time people may wait a little longer to see how bad it will be. It seems like most people think about a cat 3 is ok, unless you live near water, in a flood-prone area or have large trees near your house. The problem is that hurricanes are so unpredictable. Sure you can usually tell what state it's going to hit, but rarely can you tell even which parishes (counties) much less which cities are going to get the worst of it. We were surprised to see that Opelousas (20 miles north of Lafayette) was hit *much* harder than Lafayette.In the end, it's up to residents themselves to decide whether they really want to leave or not. I think you're just seeing a bunch of people who are grouchy from what they (in hindsight, unnecessarily) went through and feel they have the right to complain that gov't "forced them to evacuate".
altimar

Re: Gustav (Toasted7)

Post by altimar »

Quote, originally posted by Toasted7 »The general public can NEVER be happy... someone is always going to find something to complain about...Ah, you beat me to it and summed it up better than I with my long tirade. Quote »I'm glad to hear you are safe as well! Thanks all!