Texas Residents *Notice* RE: State Vehicle Inspection

Arkansas, Alabama, Kansas, Louisiana, Missouri, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Texas
zionzr2

Texas Residents *Notice* RE: State Vehicle Inspection

Post by zionzr2 »

You Can NOT Even Trust State Inspection stations anymore.I just failed a State inspection. The reason:E-brake wont hold. (My e-brake Held perfectly fine) He then showed me where and how he inspected. On a private drive of a private business and this drive was a significant slant and had my vehicle pointed downhill. While stopped he applies the brake and put the car in gear and applies the gas a bit. Since the car moved, He said I failed!I then Take my vehilce across the street to a Brake Shop. They tell me there is nothing wrong with my brakes.Needing to pass inspection they do perform a break adjustment so I have a document that says they have been "fixed" so that I can Pass.The brake shop also tells me that the test was done improperly and need to complain to the state inspection people.The E-brake test is to be done on level ground and in gear with only enough gas to tug.The moral of this story is:1. Make sure your inspections are done in a State Approved manner knowing ahead of time exactly how the testing should and should not be conducted.2. If there is an issue with the place or the inspector. There is recourse if you take your vehicle in its failed state to a state DMV office to complain and verify the inspection was done properly and that you have a complaint about the inspector that vailed you (KEEP ANY AND ALL PAPERWORK)Had I done this I could have saved myself extra charges in fixing a problem that did not need fixed. Luckily I'm only out a few bucks for a brake adjustment charge around $20. but Its the principle of the whole thing.My Caution is Be Vilgilint In Anything an Everything. Knowedge is Power!
ColonelPanic

Re: Texas Residents *Notice* RE: State Vehicle Inspection (zionzr2)

Post by ColonelPanic »

Scammers! That sucks. I've heard similar from a few other states that have inspections. And some places you can even buy your way out of an inspection you know you'll fail.I'm glad that I live in a state where I don't have to do any of this crap. Our requirements for a roadworthy vehicle aren't all that strict. One headlight, one tail light, no brakes, busted windshields - doesn't mater, you can still drive it.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
RePo

Re: Texas Residents *Notice* RE: State Vehicle Inspection (ColonelPanic)

Post by RePo »

This Texas inspection Scam is very annoying. Until they get THEIR inspection scam fixed, I simply transferred title to a Minnesota relative and titled it there. I proudly wear my Permament out of state plate in Texas, sending my miniscule renewal fee up north every year. I would gladly pay TX the $300 for plates, inspection and taxes, but they don't want my money. Oh well, really not my problem now....
I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code
damronjr

Post by damronjr »

My e-brake never held for ****. We even tried adjusting it and it was either lousy or too tight that it grinded all the time.
Jason Damron, San Diego, CA, Supercharged 2004 Vibe base - Gone to the wind My Vibe pics on Cardomain2009 Chevrolet HHR SS!
SuperSpeedWagon

Post by SuperSpeedWagon »

yeah man little things like that will get you but for them to do it on a slope was just dumb they should know better then that, I was going to be a state inspector but didnt want to go and get yelled at every day haha you gotta watch out for those guys yes they will fail you for your gas cap, windshield wipers, i've even heard of a person getting denied due to his dully truck not having mud flaps??? weird if you ask me but yes watch out and for those inspection places
2010 vibe gt
prathman

Post by prathman »

Quote, originally posted by zionzr2 » The E-brake test is to be done on level ground and in gear with only enough gas to tug.Seems like a poorly defined test in any event. What exactly is enough to "tug"? I'd expect that to vary considerably from one inspector to the next. Better would be to define a slope level where the brakes should hold and not have it depend on how hard someone steps on the gas.
Dans_03Vibe

Post by Dans_03Vibe »

South texas is scam central
Current Mods:AEM CAI,Hotchkis Lowering Springs,RK Sport CF Roof Caps(STILL NOT ON CAR),SR Racing SR7 17'Wheels,S2000 Antenna,Goerlich XLERATOR Exhaust,Audiobahn amp(non working) 2 10"subs(siting in garage)Wish List:Ground Effects BodyKit,DC Headers,New Exhaust System,New Amp,Tein Lowering Springs,Fix The Dents,New Paint