Recommendations for Audio Work?

Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Rhode Island, Vermont
esjones

Recommendations for Audio Work?

Post by esjones »

When my Vibe gets here (hopefully any day now) I want to look into having better speakers put in it. Does anyone in Ohio have specific recommendations (for or against) any particular audio shop? Locally, I have Best Buy and Circuit City, plus some smaller outfits like Stereo on Wheels. I would like to talk to a Vibe owner that has used a particular business before entrusting my car to them. I do NOT want mine to be the first Vibe they work on!Thanks.- Earl
- Earl Earl Jones, Sales and MarketingHorizon Systems LLChttp://www.horizonsystems.com/ Skype ID: esjonesMy Vibe: '03 Base, 5-speed, ABS, Alum. Wheels, Power Pkg, DVD Nav., Security, Neptune/Graphite
Toasted7

Re: Recommendations for Audio Work? (esjones)

Post by Toasted7 »

I had some work done on my Vibe in Southwestern Ohio and I actually had Best Buy do the work for me. The installed a box with 2 10" subs and an amp for me. It was the FIRST Vibe they had worked on and took them over 6 hours to do it, but it sounds good now... and that's all that counts.
VMFIC of Cincinnati Scikotics Cincinnati Scikotics sponsored by: KerryScion.com My other ride is your mom
n2sound

Post by n2sound »

You may want to check out Sound Waves (Cincy and Dayton). I've worked with these guys on many projects. They are one of the best in the area. If you are willing to drive to Columbus, I would highly recommend Columbus Car Audio. [URL]www.sound-experience.com [URL]
NY Pete

Post by NY Pete »

Where are you in southwestern Ohio? If you're near Cinci, go to Pro Audio (513) 753-4599 over on the east side of town, near 32 and 275. They do great work.
'02 Jetta 1.8T Silver Arrow/Black Leathuh - Neuspeed turbo inlet pipe, 17" VW Exor wheels, euro Bora tails, Neuspeed Sofsport Springs, Bilstein HD's, Da'lan hitch'03 20thAE GTI #3494 Imola Yellow/Black Recaros - Omori/AWE boost gauge, HPA Motorsports Short shifter, Neuspeed 28mm rear sway, REVO programming, Neuspeed turbo inlet pipe, FK Badgeless grille, Kamei eyelids and one big fat grin
esjones

Re: Recommendations for Audio Work? (NY Pete)

Post by esjones »

I'm in Springboro (northern Warren county).
- Earl Earl Jones, Sales and MarketingHorizon Systems LLChttp://www.horizonsystems.com/ Skype ID: esjonesMy Vibe: '03 Base, 5-speed, ABS, Alum. Wheels, Power Pkg, DVD Nav., Security, Neptune/Graphite
d_m_kolb

Post by d_m_kolb »

I'll do it for you and you can help so you can learn how to do it next time. If you come to Fort Knox I'd be very willing to help you out. I wouldn't charge you anything.
msmyer

Post by msmyer »

Hey Earl, I am from Kettering, and I've got my stuff done at Best Buy @ at the Dayton Mall, (only on my old car...1990 Dodge Spirit) and they had no problems! As for my Vibe I've only got the factory stereo replaced in which a friend and I did! I've also thought about getting my speakers replaced too, let me know when you decide and any feedback you have! P.S. Are you getting the moon 'n tunes package? (I have that)
‘03 Vibe with 317k and still going.............................

Other Mods: Sony X-Plod Headunit & Reflective White GVC decalMy Car at Cardomain.com... http://www.cardomain.com/id/msmyer
NY Pete

Re: Recommendations for Audio Work? (msmyer)

Post by NY Pete »

I'd have to seriously reccommend against Best Buy. They have no interest in doing a good job, just selling you stuff and getting you out of there. I've seen some real butcher jobs perpetrated on the dashboards of perfectyl good cars by over-anxious, underqualified pimply-faced best buy installers...
'02 Jetta 1.8T Silver Arrow/Black Leathuh - Neuspeed turbo inlet pipe, 17" VW Exor wheels, euro Bora tails, Neuspeed Sofsport Springs, Bilstein HD's, Da'lan hitch'03 20thAE GTI #3494 Imola Yellow/Black Recaros - Omori/AWE boost gauge, HPA Motorsports Short shifter, Neuspeed 28mm rear sway, REVO programming, Neuspeed turbo inlet pipe, FK Badgeless grille, Kamei eyelids and one big fat grin
esjones

Post by esjones »

quote:Hey Earl, I am from Kettering, and I've got my stuff done at Best Buy @ at the Dayton Mall, (only on my old car...1990 Dodge Spirit) and they had no problems! I visited Best Buy at the Dayton Mall and talked to one of their installers. I did not come away with any confidence in them. First, their computerized audio catalog shows the Vibe as a "2002" model, and does not list ANY recommended speakers or other audio gear for it. The guy had never even SEEN a Vibe before, much less worked on one, but said, "It's GM, and they're all pretty much the same." He did say, though, that he has replaced perfectly good factory speakers with aftermarkets that weren't as good, just because the owner was looking for a "brand" on their speakers. (I couldn't get out of there fast enough....)I went to Circuit City, where the installer actually wanted to sit in the car and listen to the factory system. He said, "That's pretty good! I don't know if we could do any better for you that what you have already." Well, it IS "pretty good," and better than most factory audio systems. But the speakers distort in the bass ranges at higher volumes, and the midrange is muddy and not as distinct as I would like. I'm not looking for a pounding sound system, but I do think that improvement is possible. I would really like to get some specs on the audio section of the DVD Nav system, but Delphi, which makes it, wouldn't tell me anything when I contacted them. - Earl (Springboro, OH)
n2sound

Post by n2sound »

I know a little bit when I recommend area shops... I've been in the 12Volt industry for 12 years... I used to be the District Sales Manager for Pioneer Electronics... Please check out Sound Waves (near the Dayton Mall or Kemper Rd, Cincy) or Mr.T's Autocraft (Downtown Dayton). These guys are sepeclists. They may not always have the lowest price but they know what they are doing and they will make sure you are happy. Best Buy and Circuit City seem great because of the "value" but they are concerned with moving a box out the door, thats why they mainly install a radio and 4 speakers or basic alarm systems. Specality stores will take the time to find out what you need and they'll make sure the installation is done right.
mu_ohio

Re: Recommendations for Audio Work? (n2sound)

Post by mu_ohio »

I would recommend Sound Waves also if you live in Kettering. It's close to the Dayton mall and they have always done great work. I would at all cost not go to Best Buy. I have a close friend that works at one and I wouldn't let him touch my car even though he's been to training. For one, I know he's screwed up a couple installs learning and the Vibe is too new for them. Depending on what you need done, let me know. I can quickly install easy things like head units and so on. Good luck.
2004 Pontiac GTOPhantom Black w/black leather
msmyer

Post by msmyer »

quote: I've got my stuff done at Best Buy @ at the Dayton Mall, (only on my old car...1990 Dodge Spirit) and they had no problems! As I stated...this was on my 1990 Dodge Spirit not my Vibe....I'd rather have someone I trust, do my work on my Vibe!P.S. My dodge is a pretty "basic" car, I would hope they didn't mess that up!quote:As for my Vibe I've only got the factory stereo replaced in which a friend and I did! If you don't know how to do it yourself (or a friend), then go to Soundwaves which everyone is recommending! Good Luck, Let us know how it turns out!

Other Mods: Sony X-Plod Headunit & Reflective White GVC decalMy Car at Cardomain.com... http://www.cardomain.com/id/msmyer
msmyer

Post by msmyer »

http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=785Take a look at this....Just a thought!