Wisconsin vs. Illinois

Indiana, Iowa, Illinois, Michigan, Minnesota, North & South Dakota, Nebraska, Wisconsin
Scootman!

Wisconsin vs. Illinois

Post by Scootman! »

I just came back from another great camping experience in Wisconsin and during our drive home we had come to two-conclusions. The first is that Wisconsin has far more Vibes than Illinois. There were several times on our trip that we were one of three or even four Vibes on the highway driving side by side and front to back (yes it was pretty cool, we kept a formation a few times). Secondly, Illinois is crap, we want to move to Wisconsin. Everything is better in Wisconsin including the Culvers butter burger. Anyone else agree with me?
audiovibe

Post by audiovibe »

wait till you get a speeding ticket Aron
Vibe is gone and will be missed as I've gone country style
breezd

Post by breezd »

since I have moved to IL from WI a couple months ago, I have seen A LOT of Vibes, not even close to how many I'd see in WI. Maybe I'm just noticing them more often now that I am without my Vibe...I do agree about the Culvers... the one by my work in Palatine is CRAP.
THEN: 2003 Pontiac Vibe GT * Lowered * CAI * Sound SystemNOW: 2005 Infiniti FX35 RWD * Stock
jake75

Re: Wisconsin vs. Illinois (Scootman!)

Post by jake75 »

Quote, originally posted by Scootman! »I just came back from another great camping experience in Wisconsin and during our drive home we had come to two-conclusions. The first is that Wisconsin has far more Vibes than Illinois. There were several times on our trip that we were one of three or even four Vibes on the highway driving side by side and front to back (yes it was pretty cool, we kept a formation a few times). Secondly, Illinois is crap, we want to move to Wisconsin. Everything is better in Wisconsin including the Culvers butter burger. Anyone else agree with me? I have never lived in Wisconsin but the people I know who have say Wisconsin taxes are significantly higher than Illinois.Wisconsin has some crazy laws - you can't buy imported butter there because there is no practical way imported butter can meet Wisconsin grading requirements. But that is not an issue anywhere else in the US.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
Scootman!

Post by Scootman! »

I've heard about speeding tickets that are upwards of $250, but I can always improve mpg by slowing down a bit. I live in Cook (aka Crook county) so taxes are already insane.
kostby

Re: Wisconsin vs. Illinois (Scootman!)

Post by kostby »

My mother was a Wisconsin native, born in 1921. She hated the winters, the liberals (she was always a conservative back when state government in Madison and especially UW was VERY liberal), and the large number of 'stubborn old kooks' (her term) that lived in her small town.Some trivia I learned from many visits to Wisconsin over the years:*The cops in Ozaukee County, Wisconsin (between Milwaukee and Sheyboygan) are the WORST about writing tickets primarily to out-of-state offenders, because they're less likely to come back to fight a ticket in person at a court date scheduled several months later.** Years ago in 'America's Dairyland', BY LAW oleomargarine had to be white, so as not to fool unsuspecting consumers into thinking it was butter. Margarine could not be sold with the yellow food coloring already added! So the box of white margarine sticks (this was before soft tubs) came with a separate vial of yellow that could be mixed with the margarine at home. Otherwise, your sandwich was spread with something that looked exactly like shortening.** Senator Joseph McCarthy was from Wisconsin.** Rambler/American Motors Corporation cars such as the Javelin, the AMX, the Gremlin, and the Pacer were mostly built in Kenosha.**Robert McNamara was once the President of American Motors Corp.* Yes, THAT Robert McNamara, chief strategerist of the Viet Nam war.*Wisconsin was one of the first states to permit, and then to outlaw metal-studded winter tires because of all the road-damage caused by the metal studs.**At one time, Miller, Schlitz, Pabst, Blatz (and probably many others) breweries were all headquartered in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. "America's Brewery" was probably a more apt description than "America's Dairyland"! Parts of Milwaukee definitely had the odor of beer back then.*Beginning in the 1840's thousands of Dutch and German settlers came to Sheyboygan, Wisconsin because they were hoodwinked by fast-talking pitchmen in a New York information office, hired by the State of Wisconsin to make exaggerated claims about the weather and the fertility of the soil. The state also ran many ads in foreign newspapers hailing life in the 'western' state of Wisconsin.**Many natives of Wisconsin (and IMHO Minnesota, Iowa, and Michigan) have a distinct 'northern' accent to those of us living in central Indiana.*

My 2003 Vibe Base Auto 2-tone Salsa "SalsaWagon" was built in May 2002. I acquired it in Feb 2004/Traded it in on a 2016 Honda HR-V in Feb 2018.
Scootman!

Post by Scootman! »

"Many natives of Wisconsin (and IMHO Minnesota, Iowa, and Michigan) have a distinct 'northern' accent to those of us living in central Indiana"Interestings facts. Last year we visited the Point and Leinies breweries. Point was a good time and we will be back. The Leinies tour was too corporate and the tour was better than the beer.In terms of accents, I live in the south suburbs of Chicago and already have an accent. I graduated from Indiana Wesleyan University in April which is in Marion and I thought all of the locals had an accent!!
JerBear

Re: Wisconsin vs. Illinois

Post by JerBear »

I have lived in Wisconsin most of my life but thanks to a four year vacation (thanks Uncle Sam) I have lived in several other places. The only place I really enjoyed was Germany and even then I missed WI. It is no wonder many German immigrants relocated here, it is very similar to central Germany. I have found that drivers from IL tend to drive much faster than I do, perhaps because they are here on vacation (I live close to the Dells) and don't want to waste vacation time driving. The biggest reason I would never live in IL is the F'n toll roads, I absolutely HATE them but other than that our taxes do tend to be high.
Vulcan05

Post by Vulcan05 »

The worst thing about Wisconsin? The governor.
2010 Vibe. Moon roof, Monsoon, 2.4 engine, 5 speed auto, cruise, dark gray.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Vulcan05 wrote:The worst thing about Wisconsin? The governor.
The same goes for Illinois now too!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
ctgottapee

Post by ctgottapee »

IL toll roads, while they have gotten FAR MORE EXPENSIVE, and not the pain they were back in the day before ezpass.
JerBear

Post by JerBear »

While EZ Pass does smooth out the Process, it is still getting stuck in the backside. With my sincere apologies to my Vibe friends in Illinois, I once said to my my son while waiting in a 30 minute line to get stabbed in the (removed) on an Il tollway "If Illinois didn't suck so bad , the Mississippi would flow to the north!" All that just so I could go to Rockford to help my BIL move to Loves Park. I have several friends that live there and the people are good hard working mid-western folks but the state is run very poorly by several (in succession) lousy Governors and their Minions.