WTB - My first Vibe

List items you have for sale, want to buy, or see for sale (ie. seen on eBay). NO COMMERCIAL LISTINGS! (follow posting rules)
Jmacn31

WTB - My first Vibe

Post by Jmacn31 »

Good evening all,

Some of you may have read this already in the Facebook group but:

I am officially looking to buy a VIBE - I have done extensive research and after narrowing my choices down to Vibe/Matrix and Honda Fit I have decided that, while the Fit is no doubt a wonderful vehicle of great utility I just prefer Toyota in general and the styling of the Vibe in particular.

I am in the Atlanta area but can travel. I have limited resources, about $2K cash. I don't really have a preference regarding stick or auto; my primary goal is to find a Vibe in good, clean, serviceable condition, preferably with under 170K on the odometer.

I am the sole source of income in my family; my wife has progressive, relapsing Multiple Sclerosis and is unable to work. My oldest son is paying his way thru college, he is in his 3rd year now and currently has ZERO student loan debt so I refuse to take what little money he has from him. My youngest son is in his senior year in high school. I am not telling any of this to gain sympathy, just to give a better understanding of my situation.

If anyone has a Vibe (or even a Matrix of course) or knows of one that fits what I am looking for and is at a price I can afford please let me know.

Thanks for taking the time, I appreciate it~!
vibrologist

Re: WTB - My first Vibe

Post by vibrologist »

I wish you best of success in your search. The Atlanta region is a large market for used cars. I suppose a Vibe that comes close to your criteria is going to show up earlier or later. Hopefully you can raise a little more cash by selling a few things you may no longer need. 2K is a bit low or you may have to take in a cosmetically challenged Vibe.
BTW: Congratulation for having a financially responsible son in college!
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Based on how little money you have to spend on a used car, you certainly should not rule out the Fit. In fact, if I was doing a blind purchase, I'd pick the Fit over the Vibe any day given it is a tough car to destroy. The long term reliability of the first and second generation Fit is arguably the best in auto production history. So in your case, with little money to spend and even less to spend on repairs and unforeseen "pass me down" problems from the previous owner, I would strongly suggest you find a high mileage first or second generation Fit, even one that has a re-branded title due to a minor accident. Buy it from an original owner or at least someone who you can look in the eye and ask tough questions about the car's maintenance history. Don't pigeon hole yourself into a Corolla/Vibe/Matrix especially given some some of the stupid issues resulting from less than stellar Toyota parts suppliers over the past 10 years. With little money, shop for the best, one with an impeccable long term history: Jazz/Fit.
Jmacn31

Post by Jmacn31 »

Thanks for the advice, I definitely like the Fit so I will expand my search accordingly!
Jmacn31

Post by Jmacn31 »

Thanks for the kind words regarding my son - it IS a source of frustration for him to watch his friends and peers graduating ahead of him but he is mindful of the end result.
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Having just done a nationwide search on cars.com, I came up empty. Hard to find anything under $4,000. However, prices by owners on Craigslist were a bit better. I was able to find this nice Fit Sport in Orlando for $3500 or less. Only 161,000 miles and a Florida car so there won't be any rust. At the price point you listed, you will have to go on some road trips to get what you want. Take a look at this one in Orlando:

https://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/d/or ... 13313.html
Jmacn31

Post by Jmacn31 »

And.... It would appear that the Fit is going to be prohibitively more expensive.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

I'd keep watching Craigslist. In the large markets (Houston, Atlanta, DFW, etc), you can find some decent deals as you search.

In Houston, on April 12th, there was a 2004 vibe that was dropped from 2300 to 2000 in price. No ideas of mileage, they list 'low miles', but with these cars, that could simply be "The odometer hasn't stopped."

My old Vibe is still around, but it needs some service, and I don't know that the current owner would give it up for 2k.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Oh - one more thought.

You might look at the Mazda MPV. They're old, but had pretty good ratings, and are available pretty cheaply, as they were replaced by the Mazda 5. (We replaced my wife's Grand Prix with a Mazda 5. We were going to go for the MPV, but the ones available at the time were overpriced, and we found the 5 for a really good deal.)
Jmacn31

Post by Jmacn31 »

I think I nailed it - I have an agreement with a seller in WI to buy her 06 Base w/5 speed, 173K on the odometer, in excellent condition. Now that I spent my wad on the car, I gotta figure out the most cost-effective way to get from ATL to Milwaukee... good problem to have though!
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Jmacn31 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:38 pm I think I nailed it - I have an agreement with a seller in WI to buy her 06 Base w/5 speed, 173K on the odometer, in excellent condition. Now that I spent my wad on the car, I gotta figure out the most cost-effective way to get from ATL to Milwaukee... good problem to have though!
If time permits, consider taking a train if the cost isn't too high. Fun way to see the country!
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Jmacn31 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:38 pm I think I nailed it - I have an agreement with a seller in WI to buy her 06 Base w/5 speed, 173K on the odometer, in excellent condition. Now that I spent my wad on the car, I gotta figure out the most cost-effective way to get from ATL to Milwaukee... good problem to have though!
Yes definitely a good problem to have! :) I did a similar thing when I bought my 2004 Vibe GT two years ago. Flew down to Tampa- one way, met the seller of the Vibe, bought it and drove it 1200 miles home! Best $3500 I've ever spent! ;)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Greyhound bus next Wednesday Atlanta to Milwaukee:

Schedule number 4384. Departing at 1:15 am, arriving at 9:10 pm. This is an express trip bus. There is free wifi on every bus, individual power outlets and extra legroom.
1:15 am - 9:10 pm
Total journey time: 20h 55m
• This journey has 2 transfers
$102
Painful, but cheap
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Some time ago i was considering buying a car in the Atlanta area. Why? they use very little if any salt on the roads. I'd never consider going from Atlanta to Wisconsin to buy an aging car. Let's hope the rust on your purchase is limited.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
Jmacn31

Post by Jmacn31 »

I appreciate all the advice guys I ended up using some "points" I had with Southwest to get a flight into Milwaukee for just under $100- from there it is a $35 Amtrak ride to the ,meet up - I am totally stoked about the trip, leaving next Friday AM.

Will post pics of the Vibe once I have her in hand!
Last edited by Jmacn31 on Sun May 05, 2019 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Good luck. Hopefully it's a Garager.