ISO: 04 AWD Rear Lower Control Arms

List items you have for sale, want to buy, or see for sale (ie. seen on eBay). NO COMMERCIAL LISTINGS! (follow posting rules)
GiggingVibe

ISO: 04 AWD Rear Lower Control Arms

Post by GiggingVibe »

Hey all,

I've tried all the yards on car-part from Providence to Portland and west to Poughkeepsie with no luck yet on rear lower control arms. My right side has rotted through and my left isn't far behind. My understanding is that 03-05 Vibe/Matrix AWD parts for rear are the same, but despite that, no luck!

Hoping to get her back on the road without shelling out for Moog parts, so I'd appreciate any pointers you have for tracking down replacements. Right now my only lead is a yard down south near my brother who could ship a pair up.

Thanks!
2004 Auto AWD Satellite Two-Tone
Tinted Windows
Pioneer FH-X731BT
Bookworm

Re: ISO: 04 AWD Rear Lower Control Arms

Post by Bookworm »

I suspect you'll have to just get the Moog parts. Anything you get from a salvage yard is likely to be suspect as well. You might try calling some south Texas salvage yards - you might find some flood damaged cards with low mileage.
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

Also look at the 99-06 Toyota Celica. They have the same rear control arms.

Dang these are expensive at $367 per side. I agree with Bookworm expand your search to include Arizona, maybe check ebay, too.
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Bookworm wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:29 pm I suspect you'll have to just get the Moog parts. Anything you get from a salvage yard is likely to be suspect as well. You might try calling some south Texas salvage yards - you might find some flood damaged cards with low mileage.
I agree; salvage yard parts will probably not be far behind yours... You could also look into 09 GT/AWD/XRS...In theory, those are the same parts as they do share the same rear subframe. I have not tested the control arms out so cannot guarantee it.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

zbyers wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:20 am I agree; salvage yard parts will probably not be far behind yours... You could also look into 09 GT/AWD/XRS...In theory, those are the same parts as they do share the same rear subframe. I have not tested the control arms out so cannot guarantee it.
Edit:The following statement is wrong. I put a reply further down.
The 09+ Vibe/Matrix AWD cars rear suspension is totally different compared to earlier cars.
Last edited by SeattleJeremy on Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

SeattleJeremy wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:12 amThe 09+ Vibe/Matrix AWD cars rear suspension is totally different compared to earlier cars.
False. Myself, and a few other members, have put rear subframes from an 09 AWD/GT into our 03 or 04 AWD. Another member did the opposite and put an 03 AWD subframe into his 09 GT.

As I said, the subframe is identical and interchangeable. While that is, I cannot confirm for the remaining suspension bits. But given that the subframe is, the rest should be pretty darn close. It is a matter of finding said parts and comparing to those he has.

zbyers

Post by zbyers »

They look mighty similar.

First image is from Rock Auto under an 04 AWD. 2nd is from a GM parts diagram for an 09 AWD.

SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

zbyers wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:22 am False. Myself, and a few other members, have put rear subframes from an 09 AWD/GT into our 03 or 04 AWD. Another member did the opposite and put an 03 AWD subframe into his 09 GT.

As I said, the subframe is identical and interchangeable. While that is, I cannot confirm for the remaining suspension bits. But given that the subframe is, the rest should be pretty darn close. It is a matter of finding said parts and comparing to those he has.
I edited my statement above. I guess you are right.

My google-fu is weak when it comes to 09+ cars. I could not find the AWD rear control arm on any of the general autoparts websites, and what I did find (struts) had different part numbers.
Last edited by SeattleJeremy on Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

[/quote]My google-fu is weak when it comes to 09+ cars. I could not find that part on any of the autoparts dealers websites.[/quote]

No worries. It's difficult to find when there is no mention of a cross-fit between the two. I actually want to put both my mom's 05 AWD and dad's 09 GT up on the lift in my garage and take some comparison pictures. The rear suspension is 99% the same as far as I've seen.

Of course the Celica option really options it up too. Basically can look at things from different vehicles from 1999 to 2010 or so.

Anyways, I hope this info gets you onto the right path GiggingVibe.

GiggingVibe

Post by GiggingVibe »

This has been very helpful, thank you.

Watching these 09 parts show up clean and cheap on ebay, and not being absolutely sure they'll fit the rest of the suspension is a bummer! I'll keep digging around -- if anybody has additional resources that might help clear that up I'd appreciate it.

And yes, I gotta say the most frustrating thing is having to run through the whole list of viable donor vehicles with each yard because they aren't cross referenced anywhere as compatible! ALL of the places I've tried take my info, and call back hours/days later to say they never had an AWD/don't have the car anymore/already sold the part. :roll:
2004 Auto AWD Satellite Two-Tone
Tinted Windows
Pioneer FH-X731BT
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

GiggingVibe wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:33 am This has been very helpful, thank you.

Watching these 09 parts show up clean and cheap on ebay, and not being absolutely sure they'll fit the rest of the suspension is a bummer! I'll keep digging around -- if anybody has additional resources that might help clear that up I'd appreciate it.

And yes, I gotta say the most frustrating thing is having to run through the whole list of viable donor vehicles with each yard because they aren't cross referenced anywhere as compatible! ALL of the places I've tried take my info, and call back hours/days later to say they never had an AWD/don't have the car anymore/already sold the part. :roll:
other than myself and a few other members who've done it, you will not find any mention or reference of the cross fitment from the 09 AWD/GT Vibe... You'll have to take a gamble if you don't trust us.