WTB: Roof rack setup for '03 [solved]

List items you have for sale, want to buy, or see for sale (ie. seen on eBay). NO COMMERCIAL LISTINGS! (follow posting rules)
fba

WTB: Roof rack setup for '03 [solved]

Post by fba »

Hi,
since the arrival of our newest family member, space on the inside of our '03 Vibe is in short supply. Looking into roof cargo options, we're hoping to get a roof rack setup so we can put a cargo box on top. We have the factory cross bars, but no box we found so far would fit. Setups we saw online are "custom made" (like here: https://www.geartrade.com/item/459633/t ... tiac-vibe#), and thus harder (and more expensive) to buy new.

We are hoping that someone on this forum might have a full setup around that they want to get rid off.

Looking forward to hearing from you!
Thanks,
Flo
Last edited by fba on Mon May 21, 2018 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hogdoctor

Re: WTB: Roof rack setup for '03

Post by hogdoctor »

a plan B you could consider, a receiver hitch and cargo carrier, put the load behind you out of the wind. Comparable price, maybe $225 for both. Image
runningslow

Post by runningslow »

Its not for sale, but to help you open up your search.... I have an old Sears X-Cargo that fits great on the top of my factory crossbars. I used a SportRack mounting kit that came with 4 U-bolts. It works great, just need to drill a few extra holes in the bottom of the box. The front crossbar is all the way forward and the rear bar is positioned where it needs to be to line up. The only problem is that I have to remove the FM antenna for the box to fit. I don't listen to FM, so its really not an issue for me.
2015-12-21 185151.jpg
2015-12-21 185151.jpg (283.05 KiB) Viewed 2220 times
Josh
2005 Vibe GT ~ Platinum
2006 Vibe ~ Lava, Base, Auto
2005 Corolla S ~ Silver Streak Mica, Manual (Wife's)
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
fba

Post by fba »

Thank you two for your replies! I hadn't thought about the rear rack as storage rack before. Just for bikes. But that's a pretty good idea! However, I think that would block access to the trunk right? And we were hoping to put our dog in the back (so the hatch wouldn't do).

In the meantime we actually did get our hands on a Sears X-Cargo for pretty cheap. I'll just have to replace the two latches and also get the mounting kit. I was hoping to put it together in the local hardware store, but couldn't quite find the parts I wanted. So etrailer.com it is :)

And on vacations it's hard anyway to listen to FM :)

Thanks again!
runningslow

Post by runningslow »

fba wrote:In the meantime we actually did get our hands on a Sears X-Cargo for pretty cheap. I'll just have to replace the two latches and also get the mounting kit. I was hoping to put it together in the local hardware store, but couldn't quite find the parts I wanted. So etrailer.com it is :)

And on vacations it's hard anyway to listen to FM :)

Thanks again!
I got my mounting kit and a latch set from etrailer.com for mine. I also replaced the weatherstripping. It has done great in all weather: rain and snow.

And you're right, FM is a pain on a road trip. I'm either using the SiriusXM radio that I temporarily swipe from my wife's car or I'm using my phone. As mobile networks expand, its gotten easier to to just use my phone, so I haven't used the XM for the last few trips. There's only a handful of dead spots for us now on most of our drives, so its great, and I'll just play saved local content at those times.
Josh
2005 Vibe GT ~ Platinum
fba

Re: WTB: Roof rack setup for '03 [solved]

Post by fba »

What did you use for weatherproofing? I saw someone on youtube use some AC insulation I think.
runningslow

Post by runningslow »

fba wrote:What did you use for weatherproofing? I saw someone on youtube use some AC insulation I think.
I think this is the stuff I used. Got it from Home Depot.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/M-D-Buildin ... /100175299
Josh
2005 Vibe GT ~ Platinum
BenWA

Post by BenWA »

If you're still looking for one, I'm selling the Yakima rack I had on my 2003 Vibe.

I don't want to ship the cross bars (58") but I do have the proper towers that all use the same key code. One key included. Those I'll ship, no big deal.

Asking $90 shipped for all 4 towers. Any Yakima round bars should fit.

If you just happen to be near Sioux Falls, you can have the whole rack with 58" bars for $120 if you come pick it up. (about 35 miles out of Sioux falls)

Pics attached showing current condition and showing when the rack was on the car.
Attachments
20180728_192104.jpg
20180728_192104.jpg (105.66 KiB) Viewed 2109 times
20180728_192332.jpg
20180728_192332.jpg (125.46 KiB) Viewed 2109 times
Yakima_rack_cropped_1024.jpg
Yakima_rack_cropped_1024.jpg (155.03 KiB) Viewed 2109 times
2003 Vibe Base A/T
fba

Post by fba »

Thanks so much for your (pretty good) offer! As we already bought a cargo box that fits on the factory bars, we won't need the towers anymore.

But maybe someone else here on the board might be interested. I feel like the whole setup is hard to come by these days.
BenWA

Post by BenWA »

fba wrote:Thanks so much for your (pretty good) offer! As we already bought a cargo box that fits on the factory bars, we won't need the towers anymore.

But maybe someone else here on the board might be interested. I feel like the whole setup is hard to come by these days.
It's hard in the sense that yaikma no longer suggests these towers. Maybe they're not made anymore but it's still possible to find new I think of old stock if you know the part numbers. Or used of course if lucky. I'll do a separate post for the rack, which is what I intended to do when I saw this thread.
2003 Vibe Base A/T