WTB: Grommet for hood support rod

List items you have for sale, want to buy, or see for sale (ie. seen on eBay). NO COMMERCIAL LISTINGS! (follow posting rules)
jsmellie

WTB: Grommet for hood support rod

Post by jsmellie »

Somehow, the plastic (rubber?) grommet securing my hood support rod to the body of the car vanished quite a while ago, leaving the support rod rather unstable (since it's now able to slide all the way into the hole if bumped, which would result in the hood crashing down). The original part number was 88970750, but it was replaced by part 19204818 at some point. As far as I can tell, both parts are compatible with 03-08 and 09-10 Vibes, but I can't find out if the Matrix uses the same thing.

Almost every site I've checked is out of stock or says the item is discontinued. WholesaleGMPartsOnline wants to charge me $16.18 and GMPartsPrime has it for $11.99, both of which seem unreasonable unless they're the last two places on earth that have one... and based on my hunting, they might be.

Does anybody know where I can buy one of these grommets, or have one they can sell me?
ColonelPanic

Re: WTB: Grommet for hood support rod

Post by ColonelPanic »

19204818 is what I ordered last year from gmpartscenter.net. It's similar to the original except for it being white in color. But of course it is no longer available for purchase.

If most other GM parts sites are showing it is discontinued (which it seems that they are,) I would assume its long gone from GM's system.

cptnsolo77 bought one from a Toyota site according to this post. Perhaps he can confirm the part number of the Toyota version.

There are prop rod grommets for the Matrix on ebay and Amazon, it may be worth a try.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Toyota part no. 90080-48064 (Conicelli Toyota parts) has them for a mere $1.22 each. They fit the Matrix and are still available so I'd assume they should fit the Vibe also? My 2004 Vibe Gt that I just acquired will also need one of these.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Here's the Toyota part on eBay for $4.28 shipped.

You could also check car-part.com for any Vibes/Matrices in junkyards near you and grab one for next to nothing.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Ditto for ebay. Thats where i bought mine.
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
jsmellie

Post by jsmellie »

Thanks, everybody! Nice teamwork! Thanks to you, I was able to find it on Amazon for $5.02. It's amazing that this qualifies for Prime shipping and isn't an add-on item, so I'll give that a shot since eBay would take 6-8 business days to get to me. The listing says it fits the 03-08 Vibe, so that's another good sign.

vibenvy - For what it's worth, Car-Part doesn't appear to even have a part listing for any of the hood-support pieces (grommet, rod, or holder clip). Since their search engine requires you to select a part, there's no way to search for it there. Plus, at least in my area, the listings for Vibes are usually incredibly inaccurate. The few times I've ever tried to pull parts, I'd show up and either the Vibe was totally destroyed and picked clean (without Car-Part reflecting that), or there just weren't any Vibes there at all. Between the time and the entrance fees and the possibility of not finding what I need (which so far has mostly been minor bits, or plastic pieces unlikely to survive any accident), I've been content to just track new parts down online or in stores. If/when I get to replacing bigger structural or mechanical components, I'll give the junkyards another shot.
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Great to hear you found it. Amazon has been great for parts. 2 years ago I had to replace my AC compressor and amazon had OEM part for $240. Cheaper than anyone. Prime included. I also picked up a window door run, power window motor, blower motor, fuel pump & filter, AC filter dryer and hatch supports over the past few years 8-)
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

jsmellie wrote:Thanks, everybody! Nice teamwork! Thanks to you, I was able to find it on Amazon for $5.02. It's amazing that this qualifies for Prime shipping and isn't an add-on item, so I'll give that a shot since eBay would take 6-8 business days to get to me. The listing says it fits the 03-08 Vibe, so that's another good sign.

vibenvy - For what it's worth, Car-Part doesn't appear to even have a part listing for any of the hood-support pieces (grommet, rod, or holder clip). Since their search engine requires you to select a part, there's no way to search for it there. Plus, at least in my area, the listings for Vibes are usually incredibly inaccurate. The few times I've ever tried to pull parts, I'd show up and either the Vibe was totally destroyed and picked clean (without Car-Part reflecting that), or there just weren't any Vibes there at all. Between the time and the entrance fees and the possibility of not finding what I need (which so far has mostly been minor bits, or plastic pieces unlikely to survive any accident), I've been content to just track new parts down online or in stores. If/when I get to replacing bigger structural or mechanical components, I'll give the junkyards another shot.
Glad you got one!

Understandably, it would be a major PITA for junkyards to list every little part, so when it comes to small, obscure parts, car-part.com is more for just seeing what places even have Vibes/Matrices on hand and than using that as a basis for a phone call and/or visit. I totally agree with you and more often than not just end up ordering new online as well.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
12knight

Post by 12knight »

Hey...thanks for the info. As we all know the plastic parts on our prized vibes are breaking apart, and the one i find at auto wreckers are pretty much done as well. not much luck there. I was happy to see the toyota parts list and ordered the grommet for my hood prop. It all disappeared under my car in the dark and the rain when i was checking my oil. Now i can put it back together without resorting to a "stick". Thanks