WTB Cheap Compatible engine for 2003 Sacramento, CA

List items you have for sale, want to buy, or see for sale (ie. seen on eBay). NO COMMERCIAL LISTINGS! (follow posting rules)
Midtowngirl

WTB Cheap Compatible engine for 2003 Sacramento, CA

Post by Midtowngirl »

So, about a month and a half ago I bought a 2003 base model Vibe that had 250k miles on it. Being just a "silly girl" :oops: , I brought my ex with me to check the car out, and with the most cursory of look-overs, he recommended I buy it. Two weeks ago, I'm driving on the freeway and there's a huge rattling sound, a POP, and like magic, fire :shock: appears on the underside of the engine...
Apparently, it threw a rod (?) and I need to replace the engine.. :cry:
Long story short - I have about $600 to replace the engine (this is using free labor, courtesy of the ex, whose mechanical abilities I don't readily trust so much anymore, but... lol).
What's my best option around Sac? I know that a Corolla 1ZZ FE engine is a suitable replacement, right? And thankfully, Corollas are plentiful at wrecking yards.. But if I don't get it fixed right the first time, I'm screwed.. Can anyone offer some advice?

Thanks in advance!
vibenvy

Re: WTB Cheap Compatible engine for 2003 Sacramento, CA

Post by vibenvy »

I'm not really up on much to do with the 1st gen (2003-2008) Vibes since I have a 2nd gen (2009-2010), but I do recommend searching on car-part.com. This will be much easier than calling and / or going to junkyards to find the engine you need. Best of luck with your search and subsequent installation ;)!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
Midtowngirl

Post by Midtowngirl »

@vibenvy: Thanks for the tip! Doing a search for a 2003 Vibe engine returns very little, but from what I've read on here, a search for a 2003 Corolla engine will work, correct? I did that and came up with an engine for sale at a local shop - the description reads "1.8L, VIN R 5TH DIG 1ZZFE ENG W/VVT" which is the correct engine? The miles listed is "1", grade "A", and the price is $850.00. Good deal? :?: :?:
Thanks again!
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Toyota Matrix base and XR as well, from 2003-2008.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit